2 Sonics for the 2nd Doctor?

mooneye63

Now I'm going to suggest something controversial here... I think that the 2nd Doctor may, just may have had two Sonics. What's my evidence? Well nothing concrete apart from look what's in his hand below on the publicity picture from Fury from the Deep?

It seems to look nothing like the silver tube (or Eveready torch) as most of us believe & can see the Sonic to actually be in The Dominators & War Games. & I have drawn (excuse the crude drawing) what it looks like to me.

Now I'm not saying I'm right, & just the different sound effect for it in Fury doesn't mean anything, but I would like to see a high res picture of this Fury photo, but it has always seemed to me to be a flatter prop with a button or window & top ridges from the photo taken from this story.

Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• Fury3.jpg
    Fury3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 740
I hope not :( mind you if it was someone will prob do a group run of making it when it could be bought off the shelf like the Romana Sonics!

Seriously thou you could be right about this being a different Sonic prop, & history of it could be about to be rewitten. For such an iconic prop, its prooving to be a bit of a mystery! Its funny as I've seen this picture lots of times before & never thought about what is in his hand as a Sonic! Let's hope someone has a better quality copy of the photo, or give it a tweak so we can see it clearer.

Good work :)

Last edited:
Yeah, with no video for that photo it's so out of context you can't tell what it's actually for. I have to wonder though, even though that's supposed to be Fury From The Deep, his outfit there reminds me more of something he wore during that whole Yeti thing.

Only other thing I'll say is that it seems rather odd that they would have two very different props to do the same thing in the same serial and at the very least we do have stills of the pen light being used for sure as a sonic screwdriver. That flat bit of metal could probably more likely have been used in relation to that thing he's holding.

I think that may be the beak of his recorder. Possibly they forgot to bring the sonic screwdriver along for the location shoot.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Straker, it is a picture from Fury. Victoria is wearing a life jacket too & Pat only wore the bobble hat in this story. It also has been used in the Dr Who mag & all photos from the BBC have a story ref on the back (they used to do this when sending them out to newspapers.

As for 2 props why not. Especially if they thought it was to be a 1 off! Recorder? Too small. Look at size of it against his thumb. Pick one up & see for yourself, but I can see why that was suggested. Whistle? Why would he use that in a scene that is relating to opening the gas pipe. Listen to the soundtrack. Too tight for any other messing about, though a large whistle of a different type for the prop could have been used.

Has anyone got a kit that could enhance this picture?

I'm not saying anything about what it's "on screen" identity is, just that the item in his hand is without a doubt a whistle.

Ah right I see what you mean. Sorry! Any pictures of the whistles used? My only niggle to what you say is, if this picture was taken while recording. Wouldn't he Pat have his hands full with the Sonic. After all he's just opened the Gas hatch?

Ha, ha! Nope Straker, this IS a picture from Fury. Look at the lovely Miss Watlings clothes & hair totally different!

I agree Muldwych, they may have thought the Sonic screwdriver was just a 1 off for this story & threw it away. After all it doesn't come out again for nearly a year.*

I can see the Whistle shape, but if he's just opened the hatch why swap the Sonic for a whistle? Even in a publicity still, unless of course a whistle type device was used for the prop? ;)

... in fact looking at the picture again I can see the loop bit in Pat's Palm. quite sad in a way that it's not a picture of the prop. Thanks all for Chipping in.

Just need to carry on with the search for the confirmed prop. Any updates out there?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back