Show your Dr. Who props!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by UFO, Mar 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. UFO

UFO Sr Member

just getting into the series, and id love to see what others have.... post em up. :)

2. mtsbspidey

mtsbspidey Well-Known Member

it's not much...but...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...it's the sonic screwdriver toy that they put out for last season (the one that starts on sci-fi friday)...but for the new season it's what they're using on-screen because it's so much sturdier than what they were using (which broke constantly)...so while yes it's just the licensed toy it's also an exact replica...

i'm hoping to get an original series style one to go with it soon and i'm getting my new series tardis key next week...

i'm also working on some paper props....and if anyone can help it'd be great...does anyone know what font this is or do i have to try to make it photoshop?...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...skott

3. Zev

Zev Well-Known Member

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

5. mtsbspidey

very cool...thanks...it'll be a fun font to have...though sadly it won't work for this prop...unfortunately a lot of the letters are wrong and it doesn't have numbers...but it's ok...i actually finished the photoshop project version today...after i get ink for my printer tomorrow i'll do a test print and if it turns out well i'll put it up on the free paper props thread (if it doesn't turn out well then i'll go back to work on it)...skott

6. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

The new screwdriver and an old TARDIS key are all I have.

7. simon_lewis

simon_lewis New Member

Here's my Sonic Screwdriver from the 2005 series:

[​IMG]

I've also got a Silver Nemesis Cyberman replica from the 'classic' series:

[​IMG]

and a few other Who related replicas (you can see them here):
    Who gallery
    along with some other Who replicas sent in by other collectors.

I'm looking forward to having a crack at a few new props from the 2006 series.

Cheers,

Simon.

8. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

My wife has a couple of those TARDIS keys, and I made a question mark umbrella when I was in high school, but it broke. :(

I had a friend of mine cut out the hook shape with his jig saw, then I attached it to a wooden doll head (those little wooden speroids you get at craft stores), sanded the crp out of it and painted candy apple red before attaching to an old black umbrella from which the handle had convieniently broken off of. Oh, I painted the metal tip red, too. I've been meaning to make a better for years, but never got around to it.

I also modified a cheapy pocket watch with the guts from a cheapy digital wrist watch to look like Sylvester McCoy's (I think it was in "Silver Nemesis"). I think I've still got it around somewhere . . . I'll have to see if I can dig it out and take some pics. :)

Can you tell that I like the 7th Doctor? ;)

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Where's the best place to get the new Sonics & the Tom Baker ones?

Thanks

10. mtsbspidey

"Where's the best place to get the new Sonics & the Tom Baker ones?"

i got my new style screwdriver on ebay...but you can get it from most online stores that get products from the uk....but i'm pretty sure if you can wait 6 or 8 months you'll probably be able to get them at target (assuming the sci-fi channel airings do well)...

one of the members on this board is currently selling a baker screwdriver...i haven't seen it up close...but the pics he showed were quite nice...check the junkyard...

...skott

11. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

Thats a Human soldier helmet from Earthshock isn't it, is it a 'found' one?

SAS

12. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I haven't even seen the show yet, I I'm thinking I'll be needing one of those sonic screwdrivers. Man, I always wanted one from the Tom Baker years. I'm hoping I like this new edition, it would give me good reason to go around the hose using it on the cat.

13. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

heres mine

[​IMG]
    have scarfs too I want to build a gravitic anomolizer mini globe type thingy seen in the horns of nimon

charlie

14. mtsbspidey

finished my "end of the world" item tickets....what do you think?...sorry about the crappy pictures...and the color is much nicer...it just didn't photograph well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...if you want one of your own..check the "free paper props" thread in a couple of minutes...skott

15. mtsbspidey

question...does anyone here read "doctor who magazine"?...if so...can someone get me a high res scan of the cover of issue 367?...specifically the tardis key?..thanks in advance...skott

EDIT - it would have to be really high res...i'm going to have to cut the key myself....if you help i'll send you a copy of the key

16. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's the new Tardis key? Looks rather boring... :confused

17. mtsbspidey

"That's the new Tardis key? Looks rather boring..."

yea...it is kinda boring...but i still want one...skott

18. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks like the same key used during the Pertwee era, which I'm told is (or resembles) an actual Police Box key. At least that's what a London Met police officer told me ;)

19. mtsbspidey

"It looks like the same key used during the Pertwee era"

thanks for the heads up on that...that makes it way less boring...more classic...skott

20. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

21. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Can't believe I missed this thread on the first time out. LOL.

I have the following:
    Tom Baker style Sonic Screwdriver (Roguescout built with/Hyperdyne Sound module), Sontoran Experiment and/or City of Death version
    Jon Pertwee style Sonic Screwdriver (Jeff Parks of Parksabers.com build w/Hyperdyne sound module), Colony In Space Version
    Toy Sonic Screwdriver from the 1980's
    Toy Sonic Screwdriver from Character Options (2005 version)
    Two 800-Trekker Tardis Keys (the self same ones used in the 1996 film)
    one of the new BBC issue Tardis keys from last year
    one McCoy style Tardis key made by Megatron here on the RPF
    One full 8th Doctor costume (vest, coat, ascot, shirt and pants)
    ...and a few other things.

See Also here: http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=107052 for a few pics and links and stuff.

22. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

thanks I just ordered my screw driver

23. Kylash

anyone know if the note pad that comes with the new Sonic Screwdriver is accurate to the one used in episode 2?

24. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Note at all. It's a post-it pad with a Doctor Who logoed cardboard front.

25. simon_lewis

simon_lewis New Member

26. simon_lewis

simon_lewis New Member

27. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Actually - the BBC showed a close up of a couple of the new keys in their "Whospy" section of their website and also you can see it clearly in the episode "Father's Day" that the prop is, indeed, nothing more than a run of the mill Yale Key.

28. Kylash

this the image you're refering to?

[​IMG]

29. mtsbspidey

"I have a feeling that the key used in the photoshoot was just a standard 'Yale' type key from a locksmiths looped on a silver string (not chain as I think the real prop would be). They've used the sirt of string that you'd wrap up a present with whereas the key was put on a metak chain in the TV series if memory serves."

that's all it is on the show is just a yale key...i'm pretty sure it's just hanging on a bit of ball-chain (in the shoot and on the show)...

"this the image you're refering to?"

thanks for that pic....the "era" detail will be most helpful...

...skott

30. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Si Senior. Gracias. :D

31. Kylash

Also did this up, if anyones interested in the hires let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. Kylash

just got my new series sonic screwdriver today, man that was fast. Very cool prop.

33. RogueScout

RogueScout Well-Known Member

34. Kylash

a run of accuratly cut keys would be something very cool, id be interested if anyone could organize it

35. mtsbspidey

"a run of accuratly cut keys would be something very cool, id be interested if anyone could organize it"

no promises yet...but that's part of my plan....skott

36. Kylash

sweet :D

37. phase pistol

Just got my toy Eccleston driver today. :D

[​IMG]

What's the deal with the HORRID deep cracked "leathery" texture on the grip... ugh. :confused

[​IMG]

Otherwise pretty nifty. I like it.

[​IMG]

Yes that's right, you need to use a screwdriver to put the batteries in your Sonic Screwdriver.

[​IMG]

The toy plays two sound effects that are very similar to one another, alternating with each button press.

The amazing thing is how TINY the electronics are... three button-cell batteries and an unbelievably small circuit board.

[​IMG]

Heh heh heh. :D

- k

38. Kylash

yeah, the sounds sounded identical to me. What i figuired from the sound is it changes every other press, the only difference is a low pulsing sound, hold it close and you can hear it, but it has nothing to do with what position its in. And im not sure about the cracked texture, the original looks smooth to me

39. mtsbspidey

"What's the deal with the HORRID deep cracked "leathery" texture on the grip... ugh."

weird...mine's not as cracked looking...much more smooth...the handle is - i believe - supposed to look like old ivory....skott

40. phase pistol

Great work Simon. B) :thumbsup

- k

41. simon_lewis

simon_lewis New Member

Thanks for that - it took a lot of trial and error to get it looking 'right'. There's still room for improvement but I've started other projects - some times you just have to draw a line and move on...

Cheers,

Simon.

42. Kylash

hmm, looking at the new tardis key here, two images seem quite different...

[​IMG]

so is there more than one style key?

43. RogueScout

RogueScout Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet there is one or two that actually work in the lock on the props door and the rest are probably just already cut keys they had laying around.

Rob

44. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

What about that TARDIS console that you were building?

45. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

I just got the new Sonic Screwdriver pen toy.
    I've also got a 1/3rd scale (8 foot long) Tom Baker scarf.
    A Seal of Rasillon
    Cyberman cookie jar.
    4" Cyberman toy

46. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Mywife put the Tardis Console project on hold until we have a house with either a basement workshop or a garage I can build it in. The neighbors in my apartment building were starting to complain of the sounds of power tools and hammering.

The Sal of Rassilon you have is the one that Megatron did? I have one of those on my pocket watch and another I carry as a good luck charm. Curtis did a fantastic job on that.

47. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Anyone know the dimensions of the key?

[​IMG]

I was gonna make one.

48. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Darn wives, stopping all our fun :D

That's the one.
    I've got a pocket watch without a lid. Was gonna try and add a hinge to the seal, and mopunt it to the pocket watch.

49. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I'd say talk to PropReplicator but Wayne's sort of retired, maybe Megatron can help you?

50. Kylash

regarding that Tardis key, ive seen a couple different variations of that one, only a few slightly different, the spacing between the blocks etc, which is accurate to the Baker years version?