Show your custom Lightsabers!

Yeah, my experience with 3D printed shrouds has been so-so. They just don't take the paint and feel right. I may have to get braver about working metal over-- or cutting into graflite shrouds like Scott did.

Thanks Scott.
Thats a sweet Graflite saber. Nice and beat up.

Im not quite done with the reflector clamp.
Im planning on cutting down the reflector bars and attaching it to the reflector clamp.
Have to figure out whats the best design though.

Also have an old Speedgun that i dug up recently...unfortunately its a bit short, which kind of bugs me.

Anyhow, heres a custom saber i made some years ago. Shortly after i was done i ended up not liking the design so i removed the clamp to use on another project-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...F-0E4D-4B5B-A0B4-F47EE5F92CC1_zpsewi36zaw.jpg

I like it very very VERY much! as veektohr said: it's like a mix of the OT and the PT! I specially like the metal ribbing and the black underneath, what did you use? I would extend the ribbing a couple of inches more, it's truly great!

Clever of him!

Didn't you use one too at one point? Your "brute" was it?

Yep. I didn't use it to be a shroud, though.

I just went back though the thread to find the pics of it. (post #248) That was in May of last year.

I've built 15 custom Lightsabers in the past 10 months. :eek

We need a 12 step program...

And is that just a strip of rubber you stuffed between the tabs?

We need a 12 step program...

And is that just a strip of rubber you stuffed between the tabs?

It's a piece of a rubber coupling that is used to connect two pipes together. Kind of a flex joint, I guess.

The pieces of rubber used for the tapered Vader ROTJ bolts on my "Graflite Challenge" saber came from that same coupling.

I'm going to try (again) to take a break from custom sabers for a while and start on my Target Fett helmet.

I don't need a 12 step program. I can quit any time I want. :angel

Nice! You scratch build the shroud?

The whole thing is hardware.
Body was cut down from an old floor lamp.
Cut out the vents and port holes.
The black thing inside the vents is textured styrene painted black.
The shroud is a plastic coupler from the hardware store.
A brass thumbscrew on the shroud, a red and green light from radio shack.
Some old Yodahouse grips that i altered a bit.

Hey guys, been lurking awhile so thought I'd use my first post to show my first from scratch hardware saber. My little guy is 4 and TFA was his very first movie theater experience. I made this for him to wear and play with opening night. Have to say - this thread has some amazing pieces showcasing true craftsmanship. I'm inspired and excited to continue building.

IMG_20151213_102356599[1].jpgLASER_SWORD_PHOTO_EDITOR_FX_Picture_1~01[1].png

My latest-- a lightsaber that's been in a war, on a remote planet, raging non stop for a century. Old, battle scarred, but still in use... Ugly, accident prone, but ultimately pretty cool and dependable... like the Millennium Falcon-- but a lightsaber.

Based on an Abby 2 cell flashgun, with lots of extra parts and greeblies from other flashes. And a 3D printed extension courtesy of AnubisGuard.

relic29.jpg

relic30.jpg

relic31.jpg

Build thread here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=256213

Hey guys,

I know it's just my idea, but it will come to life soon! It's also not a lightsaber itself, but once it's combined with my Graflex, it will be an amazing build!

Hey guys,

I know it's just my idea, but it will come to life soon! It's also not a lightsaber itself, but once it's combined with my Graflex, it will be an amazing build!

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy98/JaxAndTheMoon/chamber design_zpsghpn2bxx.jpg

I saw a wonderfully finished saber at: https://www.facebook.com/GraflexSaber/ and I thought that was a one-off, but today on Facebook I found another one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7igTgM5CkQ), very similar to what JaxAndTheMoon proposes, maybe THAT is the final frontier for sabers: functional looking sabers, they look really cool!! and before you cry: "it's been done" it's cool to see iterations of an idea! I'm looking forward to see what Jax cooks-up!!!

The one by Martin Beyer on FB is ridiculously amazing. I'm not even sure how he did it honestly :p He's making kits for them, too, which he'll probably sell on ebay as fully finished for thousands of dollars. The Darth Alice one I hadn't seen until now. I like it, but the 3D Printed chassis of it always kind of looks too fake to me. It's just very obviously plastic IMO. But it works and still looks good so to each is their own!

I saw a wonderfully finished saber at: https://www.facebook.com/GraflexSaber/ and I thought that was a one-off, but today on Facebook I found another one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7igTgM5CkQ), very similar to what JaxAndTheMoon proposes, maybe THAT is the final frontier for sabers: functional looking sabers, they look really cool!! and before you cry: "it's been done" it's cool to see iterations of an idea! I'm looking forward to see what Jax cooks-up!!!

That's just a GOTH designs chassis from shapeways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one by Martin Beyer on FB is ridiculously amazing. I'm not even sure how he did it honestly :p He's making kits for them, too, which he'll probably sell on ebay as fully finished for thousands of dollars. The Darth Alice one I hadn't seen until now. I like it, but the 3D Printed chassis of it always kind of looks too fake to me. It's just very obviously plastic IMO. But it works and still looks good so to each is their own!

The one by Martin Beyer has a lot in common with others I'm finding (turns out there is whole bunch of 'em), but his design is not looking for unnecessary lights or sounds, but going back to basics, a lightsaber as it should be: a tool for the Jedi, like a "space swiss-army knife": it's a tool!. He posted on his page that he'll auction them. The one by Darth Alice is 3D-printed, and yes, it doesn't have that brass-metallic look, which detracts from it. I'm sorry if I have deviated from posts about our own customs sabers.....back on topic.

So here is my latest... my Canon Y (mostly).

I say mostly because there's a lot of flashes in this thing... I didn't do a build thread as this is something I have been working on for weeks, with a lot of trial and error, mostly related to trying to figure out how to extend the body of the Y into a full-sized saber. Most 2 cells you can add junk to the top-- but the Y's best features are the top, so I had to get a lot craftier.

Y1.jpg
Y2.jpg
Y3.jpg
Y4.jpg

Y5.jpg

I like to have stories for my sabers, and this one is no extension. This story was ambitious, which added to the extended build I think.

Simply put, this is Anakin Skywalker’s first lightsaber.

That’s right, I said it. I’m going to ignore the lame silver-finished MPP rip-off he had in AOTC… well, let’s be honest, I’m ignoring AOTC altogether. I’m putting myself back into the mindset I had from 1983 up into I got these flashes in 1994… and well… maybe right up until I saw TPM.

In my head canon, the Clone Wars were a very different thing, and a young Anakin was not a whiney ****** nozzle that hated sand. Part of me thinks that a Jedi should have one lightsaber for life, and constantly rework it— but hey, accidents happen. You could lose one (and your hand) to some jerkface with a red lightsaber.

So my working idea is that the Graflex, with its industrial, mechanical look, was a lightsaber Anakin pulled together between battles, midway through the Clone Wars. It was a little cleaner than his first attempt. He kept it right up until Obi-Wan took it for him.

He made the Graflex to replace a saber he lost in his first real duel with a Sith/Dark Jedi/Ren/whatever. This is my idea of what that first saber looked like.

Given that it would be a precursor to both the Graflex and the MPP, I wanted it to have elements of both to serve as a protosaber. If you go the route most have to build the emitter, and consider it has the 3 sets of sockets, it's a natural already at capturing the spirit of both the class sabers.

From the Vader saber lineage I adapted:
A little bit of black detailing
A black wrinkle-painted shroud

From the Graflex:
the style of extended body shroud/emitter
a single rivet d-ring

And from both-- a little built up detail on the back of the emitter end, calc bubbles, and t-tracks grips.

Since this would technically be pre-ANH I should have done 7 grips... but I will be honest. I am so NOT mathematically inclined I struggled with figuring that algebra out. For three nights in a row, after the kid was in bed, I would sit down, measure, draw a template in Illustrator, print it out, tape it on... and it would be off. On the fourth night, when I just started to eyeball it, I finally got it... only to discover I only had enough t-track for 6 grips.

After all this time I was eager to show it off, and wanted it to be done, and my brain so dislikes the un-even arrangement, that I just went with 6.

And lastly… even though I have no desire or ability to wire/light/add sound to this…. in my head this saber is yellow. I am one of those people that grew up CONVINCED Luke had a yellow lightsaber in ANH because the toys programmed me to think so. So I painted the calculator bubbles to tell that part of the story.

If anyone cares to know the recipe of parts, I'm happy to share.

Y6.jpg
Y7.jpg
Y8.jpg
Y9.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back