Show me your Multi-Pass build ups!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by MattMunson, Jan 13, 2006.

1. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In an effort to do a little cross marketing, I'd love to see pics of any build ups of the multipass kits that I offer.

I'm curious to see if anyone actually had the chance to build one of those bad boys up, or if they just got thrown onto "the pile" with everything else.

And yes, they are currently available in the junkyard.

2. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

I have mine done. Heck, I even have a pic available.

[​IMG]

3. MattMunson

* GIRL. Those look fantastic. Excellent build ups. They look very clean. That's too cool.

You really need to buy a couple ball-chains for them though. You can find them at Home Depot, in the lamps section.

I see you even did the little gold grommet thingie in the chain hole. Too cool.
    Awesome stuff dude. Very impressive.

4. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get my two kits.

I plan on finishing one in time for my girlfriend's birthday in April.

Berry

5. TD5422

TD5422 Well-Known Member

I would like to get 2 kits, but I can't seem to PM anyone, maybe because I'm new.
    Do you take Paypal?

6. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

Leeloodallasmultipass.

Muuuulllttteeee passsss.

SAS

7. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

One of these day I'm going to build mine. I just need to figure out the eletronics. I want mine to light up.

8. MattMunson

Just a reminder, ALL of the information you need to purchase these is available in my junkyard thread.

ALL of it. :)

9. TD5422

TD5422 Well-Known Member

All of it??
    It didn't say who I could "con" into building it for me
    :p

10. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Mine is about half way done. I stopped when I realized I wanted mine to light up.

11. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Any thread on working models out there? Search of course didn't turn up any. :(

12. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Mine is still in my pile ;)
    But I hope to get to it this year :)
    This is the year of getting caught up on everything...

I hope.
    :lol

13. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

It's ok. I was just wondering what all was involved from someone who had installed electronics in one. I don't have a problem wiring electronics, I'm just more interested in the mods done to the prop to make everything fit/work correctly. :D

Thanks.

J

14. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

did the real ones light up? how did they, I never noticed that in the film before..

15. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^Ditto.^ :confused :unsure

Screencaps?

Anyone?

16. SWFreak

It only lights up for a second. If you blink you;ll miss it.

17. synasp

synasp Sr Member

yep, they light up, but can someone point me to the correct LED? Isn't it a square one?

18. SWFreak

The LED comes in Matt's kit. It's the white rectangle. It should light up orange.

19. hunky_artist

hunky_artist Well-Known Member

really? wow... have to go through the DVD again, never knew that

20. synasp

synasp Sr Member

:eek nice. I didn't know that... so all we need is a batterys/wires?

21. SWFreak

Yeah, I have no idea what the voltage is though.

You can see the pass light up when David trys to pass himself off as Korben using the fake pass.

22. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Didn't Kris (Kim & Kris) make a light up one from scratch?
    I remember that huge R & D thread.

D6

23. SWFreak

Here's a pic.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Lightuppass.JPG[/image]

Thanks Wackychimp.

24. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

My two are still in "the pile" along with...well, pretty much every other kit I've acquired over the past couple years. I do have one mostly assembled, but it still needs a lot more work.

I'm in a perpetual state of incompleteness, it seems.

Fantastic kits though, Matt deserves many butt-slaps for the awesome work. :lol

25. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

You'd have to know the wiring of the LED in the kit, the amount of voltage and current (in mA) it's rated for, you'd need a power source (probably a Lithium wafer watch battery like a CR2032), wires, and a switch (either a momentary switch which lights the LED as long as you hold it down, or a push on/push off switch).

If I can find that LED somewhere to find the specs on it, the rest would be easy. I could even draw a schematic and post here for everyone. :D

Now, does anyone know EXACTLY the brand & model of LED that comes in the kit? :confused

26. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

From the picture you posted, would it be correct to assume that the LED is activated by pressing the yellow "button" down?

27. SWFreak

Yeah, I'd say the switch is a momentary contact.

28. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Wow, so am I the only one to have completed this kit?

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I haven't gotten mine yet. :)

And somebody hurry up and figure out what electronics to put in it. I would like to do that too.

30. darcjedi

darcjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the led is available from digikey as part number HLMP2300-ND, its also used in the presidents phone. when i built my "working" phones , i used a 3v lithium coin cell, wired the two leds in the bar in parallel, and used a 22ohm (i think) resistor to limit the current... although using the watch battery, you could probably get away without a resistor if you need to save space... which will most likely be the case.

31. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Woo hoo. Got my kit from Matt Saturday. Here she is:

[​IMG]

Only need to install the rod. Anyone have any tips to do this?

32. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"YES. She KNOWS it's a multiPASS."

Mine's in the pile. until I can figger how to do the electronics.

33. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

WOW that was a fast build up. About how many hours did it take you to finish this? Any advice for a smooth build up? I have two (one for my girlfriend as a present) I need to finish.

Berry

34. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Yeah, need more detailed info on the electronics...

I've got mine cut and ready to go post diagram of electronics.

mooouulteeee paaaaass.

35. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

About seven hours off and on over Saturday and Sunday. No real trick to getting it smooth. Just lined up the pieces as best as I could, sanded the edges smooth, filled any seams with glazing putty, resanded. Repeat as needed :D

36. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

Holy crap dude, very nice. :D

For the rod...on my two as-yet-unfinished passes, I held the rod near its rightful home on the prop and made a mark with a Sharpie to show where the angled part would end up. When I eventually get around to finishing them, I intend on hitting the rod with a quick Dremel sanding treatment to rough it in, and then just hand-sand it until it fits right. I also plan on using just a *wee* dab of 5-minute epoxy to fasten it in, since it won't discolor the rod like a CA glue might.

You may decide a different method, but that's my plan. :)

37. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

I spent some time today working on the electronics.

First, I tracked down a spec sheet for the LED. After getting the specs, I calculated that you need two 39 Ohm resistors to limit the current. This is based on using a 3V battery (I plan on using a CD-2032 3V Lithium watch battery, FWIW).

Here is a wiring diagram that I threw together. I tried to put enough info in it for the geeks, but make it simple enough so that mostly anyone could wire it:

(Orientation of LED package is with the writing on it FACING YOU)

[​IMG]

Make sure to using appropriate insulation on all bare-metal connections to make sure nothing shorts out. :eek

Also, I was vague in my description of wiring the switch, because everyone will probably use a different type. ;)

I plan on using a low-profile membrane switch. I believe I can cram 2 metal oxide resistors, a membrane switch, and a watch battery in there. We'll see. :lol

I hope this helps someone. I only wish I could tell you how to cram it all in there. Now to build it... :D

J

38. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

As for the membrane switch, this is what I had in mind... (forgive me if this makes NO sense):

Take a small piece of something thin (Aluminum?) and attach it to the backside of the yellow Vinyl on the back of the dome. A recess would need to be made on the back side of the front panel/support ring to act as a lip to retain the dome and keep it from falling out. The Aluminum piece would act to retain the dome, catching on the newly-created "lip" on the front panel/support ring.

A membrane switch (like the backside of a calculator key) would be attached to the bottom of the Aluminum piece, facing down, and not only act as a "momentary switch", but also serve to extend the dome back into its "normal" position after pressure is released (after pressing it and letting go).

When the dome is pressed, the membrane switch closes the contacts, which complete the circuit and turn on the LED. Releasing the dome opens the membrane switch contacts, opening the circuit and turning the LED off.

Clear as mud? :confused

Here's a cross-section. Sizes are not to scale. This is just to (try) and make all of the stuff above a little easier to understand. ;) When you press down on the dome, the contacts (which I colored "gold") touch and complete the circuit, lighting the LED:

[​IMG]

There are probably 1000 ways to do this. This was just my take on it. It's late, and maybe I'll think of something better in the morning. :confused

Later.

J

39. airhead

airhead Well-Known Member

Fetthunter J,

Thanks for the insight on an electronics set-up for the MP. Got mine yesterday and was wondering how to go about shoving some "guts" in there. :lol

db

40. Nexus6

Got my kit in the mail today. I'd like to give kudos to Matt; I don't have a PayPal account & he really bent over backwards to help me get one of these before his departure. B):thumbsup

OT: This thing has WAY more parts than I expected. I hope the build isn't half as daunting as it seems.

Question: The "rod" on the left side. The kit includes a red & a yellow. Can someone explain this? Did certain passes have different colored rods? And if so, was there some kind of criteria that established who got what color? And what color was Leeloo's?

41. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No one was sure exactly what the colors were; so Matt provided both.

-Mike

42. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Leeloo's appears to have the red/orange one, but I swear there's one shot where it's green. It's very brief. I'm personally using the red.

43. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

It looks like my wiring diagram (on page 2) is sound. :D

[​IMG]

I'm on about step 11, and I'm in the process of shoehorning everything into the pass body, but I might have tp put this aside for awhile since I've got some orders (for SW items), and those pay the bills. :thumbsup

Hope you enjoy the comparison photo. :D

Thanks,

J

44. MattMunson

yup, that's my recommendation. It works like a charm. The only danger is oversanding, then your rod won't fit.

I had originally planned to make it so that the rod actually snapped into the body, but it turned out to be too difficult for anyone other than a frickin' prop master to do. I couldn't even get it to work. It looked good on paper, but not in reality. So the best bet is to just mark the lenght as close as you can, file one end flat, and the other end at an angle.

And yes, pushing the yellow button makes the light go one. It's a momentary switch. So pressure on the button keeps the light on. When you let go, the light goes off.

That build up on the previous page looks great. Excellent work. Awesome stuff. And thanks to everyone for the kind words on this project. It was a BIG piece of work, but seeing so many folks happy with the outcome makes it all worthwhile.

45. MattMunson

The rod color was a big debate that went on on the RPF for quite some time. From different screen captures, the rod looks different in color. In some screen caps it looks red, yellow in others. In some it looks like it has some ripples going through it. Hard to tell. In some caps, there is NO rod.

So, in an attempt to please as many people as possible, I included the yellow and the red rod. You can choose. I personally think that the yellow is closer to what we see on screen. However, since releasing the kits, I've found more information on what the rod really is. I THINK I know exactly what it is, but I haven't found a source for the part. At the end of the day, the yellow rod is very close. I believe it should be a light amber rod with brown ripples throughout it.

46. MattMunson

Oh, and someone recently was under the impression that I had lied to the RPF when I told them in my sale thread that a multipass recently sold on ebay for about 100 bucks.

I've got one word for them...

Booyaakasha.

47. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

And it's one of those "super-accurate" versions, too. :lol

Good to see you're still checking in while traveling abroad, Matt.

Bruce

48. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

I'm kinda surprised you didn't do a Rudy Rog(sic) pass Matt.

Supergreen.

SAS

49. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

Ruby Rhod...like a phallus. :lol

I still love the phrase "supergreen".

Bruce

50. Nexus6

That's all right, if you watch the special features, Jean-Paul Gaultier (the costume designer) calls him: "Mr. Ruby Rose" (Mee-stair Rroobie Rrose). :rolleyes :lol