Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

I don't think they're split, I think they're just black 4-hole buttons with a rim, possibly in a gold color. It's also possible the whole button is sort of an aged brass, but not very likely.

I don't know if it's physically split but there is a cross pattern on it, almost looks like it was scratched on...here is a close up.

sherlockbutton.jpg

Hadn't seen that shot before, yea it looks like etched lines. Those look like they'll either be very hard or very easy to find.

So far I wouldn't go with easy...

I found these that have a similar cross pattern don't have the gold rim.
button1sw.jpg

And these though still not quite right I kinda like.
button2e.jpg

I've seen buttons with that exact gold rim before, but never with the center like that. Usually they're the kind with a loop on the back and the whole button is gold.

I don't know if it's physically split but there is a cross pattern on it, almost looks like it was scratched on...here is a close up.

sherlockbutton.jpg

I would have thought they'd be a leather button. Quite common for woollen overcoats.

25207429_vintagebrownleatherbuttons1.jpeg

It may be mock leather like this one. The "gold" is just the fake stitched edge.

like-leather-buttons-624.jpg

i bought the wool version from cosplaysky.com. i love it and have been wearing it on a daily basis since the end of october (when i recieved it in the post). they've catered to my every request, and have made a simply outstanding coat. i made a couple of changes to the design, and asked them to change the pleats at the back so that the coat fans out flamboyantly as i walk, which means the design from the show isn't accurate there, but the coat looks just like sherlock's as you walk down the street. it fits me perfectly (it's made to measure) and the wool is nice and lightweight, not stiff and heavy. i had mine lined in black, with two inner pockets added, and the outside pockets - all four of them - are functional. the only two nit-picks i have with it are: the collar isn't too stiff, but will stand up quite nicely anyway, the colour could be a shade or two darker, but the style of the fabric is just right, and it's not ever-so warm, but this isn't too much of a problem, as it means i have room to put a suit jacket underneath the coat (like sherlock) quite comfortably. hope this helps :)

Manofsteel25 posted an article on the first page and I have been eyeing this coat - a wool herringbone coat by Jeff Banks. Click the picture for the store page.

Not too accurate, but I want a coat that looks 'Sherlocky' and for everyday wear. Too bad it's sold out :(

Edit: Yes! Any photos of you wearing yours Joker1?

BrotherWilliam, the style of that second one doesn't look too bad but from other angles you can see its more of a flat button rather than the first leather type.

joker1, pictures! :) Yeah the stiffness of the fabric is the thing I wonder about on the abby workshop version. Both look good and they have said they can make the modifications I asked about so i'm leaning that way but I look forward to seeing your pics!

I think abby workshop is going to be receiving a few orders soon..gah! using my upcoming birthday as an excuse. haha

I'm also contemplating the abby workshop version, with modifications of course. From the pics, it has the "swoosh" factor of the original Belstaff Millford; the cosplaysky version just looks a bit flat. I just wish I could see that abby workshop fabric up close, though.

To get the abby-workshop coat (with major adjustments) or to wait for Magnoli's magic to happen? That is the question.

Last edited:
hey guys :) pictures are being uploaded as we speak :) my lovely sister took them all, some with flash, some without for you to see for yourselves. a few points: no.1 - yes, i am aware that the pleats at the back are not accurate, but don't worry, i asked for this. i wanted my coat to billow freely as i walk, and trust me, it does that beautifully! no.2 - i also realise that the coat is a little longer than the one in the series...again, this was added as per my request for the billowing effect.

i tried to wear something sherlock-y underneath, but i genuinely wear that blue scarf (such a great find! near exact colour match and jolly warm for £3!!!), similar shoes to his, and similar black leather gloves on a daily basis. there's something quite confidence boosting about walking down the street, catching a glimpse of myself in a shop window, and thinking: "yeah, this is cool" :p

if anyone is thinking about getting one from cosplaysky, don't hesitate! it's absolutely superb value for money (plus you can boast about your supposed £1350 coat :p), and they were so accommodating for my requests. don't be afraid to email them with questions, it'll help you get the coat you want for less :)

Last edited:
here we go!

Facebook

hope it works here... it was far easier to upload them to facebook than to upload them all to imageshack*

hope this helps!

*if anyone knows a quicker way to post photos here from imageshack, i'd love to know :) thanks!

here we go!

Facebook

hope it works here... it was far easier to upload them to facebook than to upload them all to imageshack*

hope this helps!

*if anyone knows a quicker way to post photos here from imageshack, i'd love to know :) thanks!

WOW - the coat actually looks really cool! I'd like to see some more pics, this time in natural lighting outdoors.
Thanks for sharing! Rep points awarded!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back