Season 5 Sonic Screwdriver (Not the cool one with the claws :) )

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by phez, Jan 12, 2012.

1. phez

phez Sr Member

I got the Season 5 Blue-Ray disc set from my wife for Christmas and decided I needed one of those Gray looking Sonics that Smith uses in the first episode. I got to work on it tonight. I will post some update pic's as I go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Re: Season 5 Sonic Screwdriver (Not the cool one :) )

Where were all of you guys five years ago when I could not get a metal one of these for all of the tea in Burlin? Now they're everywhere!

Awesome job by the way! :thumbsup

3. phez

phez Sr Member

Learning how to run machining equipment so I could make one :lol:lol:lol.

Thanks.

4. phez

phez Sr Member

Got some more work done on this today. I got a good start on the head part.

All of the lathe work done, on to the mill :):
    [​IMG]

Cutting the side edges of the windows out:
    [​IMG]

Cutting out the top and bottom edges of the windows:
    [​IMG]

And the windows are done, on to cutting out the struts tomorrow:
    [​IMG]

5. Tom Starkiller

Tom Starkiller Well-Known Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was unaware that the one he used was any different to when Tennant had it. (Obviously talking about this particular model, not the current one. :p )

6. Fishbowl

Fishbowl Well-Known Member

If my memory serves, doesn't the TARDIS give him a temporary one as the Tennant one breaks? (or am i thinking of a different episode where the TARDIS console fires one at him?)

7. phez

phez Sr Member

The Tardis gives him the new Sonic with the claws.

Well actually it is not, it is just "the other hero :lol". It was used all over the place during Tennant's run. The one used in 11th hour

1. looks very gray in 11th
    2. uses flat head screws instead of set screws (one on the front under the slider slot)
    I always think of the tan colored one when I think of "The Tennent Sonic". So I am just going to make one of each :lol.

Tanish Tennent (regular set screws both on back):
    [​IMG]

Gray 11th hour:

(One flat head screw on front)
    [​IMG]

(One flat head screw on back)
    [​IMG]

8. LeAngeSolitaire

LeAngeSolitaire Well-Known Member

That's the same sonic Phez.

9. mobius303

mobius303 Well-Known Member

Will you be making more than one of these?
    I had not even paid that much attention to it before you pointed it out.
    Grey ....interesting.
    Would you be willing to make parts?
    Mobius

10. phez

phez Sr Member

I just explained that they are two different hero's and they are. :lol

That is the second hero.

One has both set screws in back and one has the screw on the front under the slider. Nick has a photo of both of them next to each other on his site. One is gray and one looks cream/tan

http://rubbertoeprops.com/page_2028872.html

11. LeAngeSolitaire

Ask him then. We'll see who is blind. :love

12. phez

phez Sr Member

No need to ask him, I just posted screen caps showing the screw on the front. How can they both be sitting next to each other in the photo on his site if they are the same Sonic :confused, Photoshop :lol?

The one with the set screws in the back has the exact wear pattern on the thumb plate as the the one in the first photo above and the one on Rubbertoe's site. The other one has the exact wear pattern from 11th hour. You can see it clear as day in the photos on his site.

Sorry about the blind comment, it was rude and I edited my post to remove it.

13. LeAngeSolitaire

I imagine that the pic was taken prior to 11th Hour before one of the props was repainted and modified for 11th Hour. The same prop that appears in your first pic. I've been privy to hi res pics of the 11th Hour prop and it's the same one that appears in your 1st pic, repainted.

14. phez

phez Sr Member

They you are privy to bad information, you can see for yourself in the second screen cap that the one in the 11th hour is is the one with the screw on the front (unless I edited the screw into the video I took the screen cap from). The wear patterns on it in the screen caps look identical to what it looks like on Rubbertoes site. I am not sure what else to say, it is very obvious from looking at the photos. Hi Res pics would make no difference in what you can clearly see in screen caps. They are simply two different Sonic period.

15. LeAngeSolitaire

Whatever :rolleyes

16. phez

phez Sr Member

Here are both Sonics sitting right next to each other directly from the RubberToe site. What more can be said.

Here is the photo just to make it easy. One on left, screw in front, gray, sharp corners on switch plate (used in 11th hour). One on right, screws in back,. cream/tan, switch plate a bit rounded in the corners (the one from the first photo, you can even see the wear on the thumb plate).

If you look close you can even match the cracks in the paint from the first photo above to the first sonic photo on the Rubbertoe site.

[​IMG]

17. LeAngeSolitaire

No idea what you're seeing there because I don't see a front screw in either of those.

18. Macjedi

Macjedi New Member

Wow awesome machining work. Love the details to it...

19. phez

phez Sr Member

Good god, do you see it here (Don't make me put a big yellow arrow :lol). This is the Sonic on the left in the photo of the two Sonics (and the one from 11th hour, you can see the screw clearly in the screen cap).

[​IMG]

Here is the one on the right in the photo of the two. Notice the the EXACT wear on the thumb slide as in the first photo in my post above.

[​IMG]

Anything is possible, can you explain how you can tell that the tan looking Sonic is repainted rather than the one that looks gray and already has the screw in the front being used? If you could explain that it might help me to understand where you are coming from.

20. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

I am compelled to agree with LeAngeSolitaire on this one Phez. While there were indeed two sonics photographed together on rubbertoe props, the two you have posted here are one and the same. For verification, check out the distinct head positions. On the sonic that you believe this to be, the struts straddle the slider slot. In the 'caps however, one strut is in line with the slider slot. Check the rest of the pics on the site, and you'll see what I mean.

It could be that the bodies were swapped for The 11th hour too though, but unless there is a pic showing a lack of a bottom set screw, it'd be a hard sell.

21. Organic Mechanic

Dude...I can't see ANY of the details mentioned here. Your eyes are AMAZING!

22. LeAngeSolitaire

That's a totally ridiculous statement since 1) The photos of the two in the Maglite boxes were taken when they were both new and neither had a screw in the front. 2) The photo above could be either of the two after one or both had a front screw added. You just said that in the first pic one of the sonics has a screw in it. Neither do. Can anyone else see a screw in the maglite box pictures?

23. Organic Mechanic

As I said above, I cannot see it either.

BUT...

This is intended as a build thread. We have shared our opinion on the matter of what SS he's recreating. At this point, I think it'd be best to let him take it and do with it what he will. To continue along this line would only serve to destroy a perfectly good build thread.

---------

Phez, your sonic is looking great. I like that you're adding the 'imperfection' factor with the set screws. Keep up the good work. :cool

24. phez

phez Sr Member

Thanks OM.

Agreed, there is not a real point to continue this debate as I am making the Sonic from 11th hour regardless of which one it is in the photo. OM, it does look like it could be the neck collar from the from the other Sonic on the front screw one (who knows :lol).

EDIT:
    Now that I look at the screen cap of how the head is aligned with the screw on the back could very well be the same neck collar that is in the screen caps. The strut is not centered with the slider, it is off to one side. just like the one with the screw in it.

At any rate, I assure you the head will be oriented to match the screen used one from the captures.

25. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I pretty much agree with everything you've posted in this thread about the two props and the 11th hour version except that the screw in the back was a Philips head screw. Not flat head :)

26. phez

phez Sr Member

I was looking at that for a looooong time. Are you sure that is not a flat head and the paint is making it look like a Phillips? :lol

Progress update:

The struts are cut out:
    [​IMG]\

The teeth are done (I put the body collar in place to double check the mill angle before I cut the teeth out).

[​IMG]

Perfect fit: Sorta :lol
    [​IMG]

27. Anakin Starkiller

Im away from home now. When I get back, I think I have a higher res pic of that screen grab. The progress on the emitter looks great. You're becoming quite adept at that :)

28. backof

backof New Member

Thanks for posting the in process pictures. I've seen so many pictures of completed sonics and it's nice to see the workmanship that's involved (not to mention the clean up!).

29. phez

phez Sr Member

I am only on day 2 working on the emitter so I guess I am getting a bit better :lol:lol:lol.

There is plenty of clean up :lol:lol.

30. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Looking at the tools you're using remind me of the old line from the 1989 Batman film. "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" :D

31. jedibugs

jedibugs Well-Known Member

Phez, you and I have had our differences, but that is some pretty nice work there, and I would be remiss if I were to let it pass without comment. Best of luck on your build.

32. phez

phez Sr Member

Thank you sir. :)

I am having a lot of fun and learning a bit more building it.

33. Saber Concepts

Saber Concepts Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work so far phez. I am planning on machining my own in the near future and your WIP pics were a big help. I can't wait to see yours finished.

34. phez

phez Sr Member

Thanks Saber Concepts

Can't wait to see your build thread once you get started :). You can never have enough sonics.

35. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

TRUE THAT!!! :thumbsup

36. DarthBatman

DarthBatman Member

You should do a build on the Master's laser.

37. phez

phez Sr Member

Finally got the paint right (with A LOT of help, Thanks :$). I am going to sand it to knock a bit of the shininess off but I think the pattern is pretty much as screen accurate as possible. It is titan buff white (not sure if that is the exact color but it sure looks like it) over black (cracks look gray some places and black in others because there is a very thin layer of white over the smaller ones). The white sort of looks different depending on the light (between bright white, yellowish white to almost gray). This is right after the paint job (nothing else done). The crackle stuff is the Aleene's that was used on the original. I tried the Perfetto and the Craquelure and this stuff has a lot different finish than those do.

Daylight:
    [​IMG]

Florescent light:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    Organic Mechanic likes this.
  38. Organic Mechanic

That crackle looks great phez!

39. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Very very cool!

40. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

That’s excellent work Phez, :eek your doing a very fine job on your season 5 sonic.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article and I just love them action photo’s that shows how you set the mill up to do fine milling work. Very nice milling work dude and the crackle finish is excellent attention to detail. :thumbsup

One day I will have to make a screen accurate season sonic, when I can find the time. :confused Been thinking about a screen accurate laser sonic latterly for some reason. :rolleyes Anyhow Phez excellent work. :thumbsup :thumbsup

41. phez

phez Sr Member

I want to do a laser Sonic at some point too. I am working on a River Sonic at the same time as this one. The River is my all time favorite Sonic (I had to learn to do a 10th before I could attack the River version) but the laser screw driver is about third :lol.

42. TheSexyBlueBox

TheSexyBlueBox Member

It's true, the ribs are different because Robatto free-hand lathed them.
    &Phez On another note, are you going to use CT's 11th hour sonic for the colour of the crackle? I think his was a bit too blue.

43. phez

phez Sr Member

I am not sure what color CT's is but there is no need really to use it as refrence. From the screen caps from 11th hour it just looks to me like they may have shot primer right over the old crackle finish to cover damage and left it at that (if even that). You can see spots where it looks like the crackle is missing but there is gray over it. Nothing custom, I am just going to try a thin dusting of gray plastikote automotive primer I have sitting around here that looks the same color as what we see on screen.

I am thinking they did not completely strip and redo the whole thing for that one scene knowing the new Sonic was going to replace it. (no proof that is what they did but it looks like it and makes sense).

44. TheSexyBlueBox

TheSexyBlueBox Member

You're correct. "Sonic B" was used for that episode and a new screw was put in to level the extension as Matt extends and retracts it quite rapidly when scanning. The new paint is a dull grey shade on the original paint Job.
    You have some excellent points on the sonic, and I have only small doubts on this sonic you're making. You seem to have the details spot on.
    I mentioned CT's sonic as he recently released a version of the sonic that was used in this form. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

45. phez

phez Sr Member

No inconvenience at all, thanks for taking an intrest in the project and commenting. Truth be told the body on this is actually drawn using this one as reference and there are some small differences between it and the 11th hour Sonic (most notably the bottom part of the tube under the ridges is a tiny bit shorter on the handle I used for reference than on the 11th hour Sonic).

I have to admit, the excitement of the gray Sonic has worn of considerably from January when I got the Season 5 box set and stated wokring on this. I am having some serious reservations about trashing a good paint job with the gray primer layer :lol.

[​IMG]

46. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I hear you there.

47. Anakin Starkiller

Looks great. You did an awesome job with the crackle paint. That stuff is a pain in the * to work with.

48. phez

phez Sr Member

Pain in the * does not cover it :lol.
    I had to redo it a bunch of times. You can not tell if it has gone wrong until the very last step of course :lol

49. Bluebox303

Bluebox303 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MMMMMMM! I really want to make one!

50. MrAwesome

MrAwesome New Member

WOW, the effort people put into these sonic builds are brilliant, you have replicated the eleventh hour sonic beautifully, i cant wait to see more progress