Season 5 Sonic Screwdriver (Not the cool one with the claws :) )

Here are both Sonics sitting right next to each other directly from the RubberToe site. What more can be said.

Here is the photo just to make it easy. One on left, screw in front, gray, sharp corners on switch plate (used in 11th hour). One on right, screws in back,. cream/tan, switch plate a bit rounded in the corners (the one from the first photo, you can even see the wear on the thumb plate).

If you look close you can even match the cracks in the paint from the first photo above to the first sonic photo on the Rubbertoe site.

10721-two-heros.jpg

Dude...I can't see ANY of the details mentioned here. Your eyes are AMAZING!

Good god, do you see it here (Don't make me put a big yellow arrow :lol). This is the Sonic on the left in the photo of the two Sonics.

10722-screw-sonic.jpg

That's a totally ridiculous statement since 1) The photos of the two in the Maglite boxes were taken when they were both new and neither had a screw in the front. 2) The photo above could be either of the two after one or both had a front screw added. You just said that in the first pic one of the sonics has a screw in it. Neither do. Can anyone else see a screw in the maglite box pictures?

That's a totally ridiculous statement since 1) The photos of the two in the Maglite boxes were taken when they were both new and neither had a screw in the front. 2) The photo above could be either of the two after one or both had a front screw added. You just said that in the first pic one of the sonics has a screw in it. Neither do. Can anyone else see a screw in the maglite box pictures?

As I said above, I cannot see it either.

BUT...

This is intended as a build thread. We have shared our opinion on the matter of what SS he's recreating. At this point, I think it'd be best to let him take it and do with it what he will. To continue along this line would only serve to destroy a perfectly good build thread.

---------

Phez, your sonic is looking great. I like that you're adding the 'imperfection' factor with the set screws. Keep up the good work. :cool

Thanks OM.

This is intended as a build thread. We have shared our opinion on the matter of what SS he's recreating. At this point, I think it'd be best to let him take it and do with it what he will. To continue along this line would only serve to destroy a perfectly good build thread.

Agreed, there is not a real point to continue this debate as I am making the Sonic from 11th hour regardless of which one it is in the photo. OM, it does look like it could be the neck collar from the from the other Sonic on the front screw one (who knows :lol).

EDIT:
Now that I look at the screen cap of how the head is aligned with the screw on the back could very well be the same neck collar that is in the screen caps. The strut is not centered with the slider, it is off to one side. just like the one with the screw in it.

At any rate, I assure you the head will be oriented to match the screen used one from the captures.

Last edited:
The Tardis gives him the new Sonic with the claws.

Well actually it is not, it is just "the other hero :lol". It was used all over the place during Tennant's run. The one used in 11th hour

1. looks very gray in 11th
  2. uses flat head screws instead of set screws (one on the front under the slider slot)
I always think of the tan colored one when I think of "The Tennent Sonic". So I am just going to make one of each :lol.

Tanish Tennent (regular set screws both on back):
10717-tennetsonic.jpg

Gray 11th hour:

(One flat head screw on front)
10719-vlcsnap-2012-01-16-10h11m06s98.png

(One flat head screw on back)
10718-vlcsnap-2012-01-16-10h06m56s96.png

I pretty much agree with everything you've posted in this thread about the two props and the 11th hour version except that the screw in the back was a Philips head screw. Not flat head :)

except that the screw in the back was a Philips head screw.
I was looking at that for a looooong time. Are you sure that is not a flat head and the paint is making it look like a Phillips? :lol

Progress update:

The struts are cut out:
10726-img-20120116-140424.jpg
\

The teeth are done (I put the body collar in place to double check the mill angle before I cut the teeth out).

10727-img-20120116-150220.jpg

Perfect fit: Sorta :lol
10728-img-20120116-151908.jpg

Im away from home now. When I get back, I think I have a higher res pic of that screen grab. The progress on the emitter looks great. You're becoming quite adept at that :)

Thanks for posting the in process pictures. I've seen so many pictures of completed sonics and it's nice to see the workmanship that's involved (not to mention the clean up!).

The progress on the emitter looks great. You're becoming quite adept at that :)

I am only on day 2 working on the emitter so I guess I am getting a bit better :lol:lol:lol.

I've seen so many pictures of completed sonics and it's nice to see the workmanship that's involved (not to mention the clean up!).

There is plenty of clean up :lol:lol.

I was looking at that for a looooong time. Are you sure that is not a flat head and the paint is making it look like a Phillips? :lol

Progress update:

The struts are cut out:
10726-img-20120116-140424.jpg
\

The teeth are done (I put the body collar in place to double check the mill angle before I cut the teeth out).

10727-img-20120116-150220.jpg

Perfect fit: Sorta :lol
10728-img-20120116-151908.jpg

Phez, you and I have had our differences, but that is some pretty nice work there, and I would be remiss if I were to let it pass without comment. Best of luck on your build.

Nice work so far phez. I am planning on machining my own in the near future and your WIP pics were a big help. I can't wait to see yours finished.

Thanks Saber Concepts

Can't wait to see your build thread once you get started :). You can never have enough sonics.

Finally got the paint right (with A LOT of help, Thanks :$). I am going to sand it to knock a bit of the shininess off but I think the pattern is pretty much as screen accurate as possible. It is titan buff white (not sure if that is the exact color but it sure looks like it) over black (cracks look gray some places and black in others because there is a very thin layer of white over the smaller ones). The white sort of looks different depending on the light (between bright white, yellowish white to almost gray). This is right after the paint job (nothing else done). The crackle stuff is the Aleene's that was used on the original. I tried the Perfetto and the Craquelure and this stuff has a lot different finish than those do.

Daylight:
15156-2012-07-23-14-03-11-854.jpg

Florescent light:
15157-2012-07-23-14-28-50-84.jpg

Last edited:
That’s excellent work Phez, :eek your doing a very fine job on your season 5 sonic.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article and I just love them action photo’s that shows how you set the mill up to do fine milling work. Very nice milling work dude and the crackle finish is excellent attention to detail. :thumbsup

One day I will have to make a screen accurate season sonic, when I can find the time. :confused Been thinking about a screen accurate laser sonic latterly for some reason. :rolleyes Anyhow Phez excellent work. :thumbsup :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back