Season 5 Sonic Screwdriver (Not the cool one with the claws :) )

I want to do a laser Sonic at some point too. I am working on a River Sonic at the same time as this one. The River is my all time favorite Sonic (I had to learn to do a 10th before I could attack the River version) but the laser screw driver is about third :lol.

That’s excellent work Phez, :eek your doing a very fine job on your season 5 sonic.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article and I just love them action photo’s that shows how you set the mill up to do fine milling work. Very nice milling work dude and the crackle finish is excellent attention to detail. :thumbsup

One day I will have to make a screen accurate season sonic, when I can find the time. :confused Been thinking about a screen accurate laser sonic latterly for some reason. :rolleyes Anyhow Phez excellent work. :thumbsup :thumbsup

It's true, the ribs are different because Robatto free-hand lathed them.
&Phez On another note, are you going to use CT's 11th hour sonic for the colour of the crackle? I think his was a bit too blue.

I am not sure what color CT's is but there is no need really to use it as refrence. From the screen caps from 11th hour it just looks to me like they may have shot primer right over the old crackle finish to cover damage and left it at that (if even that). You can see spots where it looks like the crackle is missing but there is gray over it. Nothing custom, I am just going to try a thin dusting of gray plastikote automotive primer I have sitting around here that looks the same color as what we see on screen.

I am thinking they did not completely strip and redo the whole thing for that one scene knowing the new Sonic was going to replace it. (no proof that is what they did but it looks like it and makes sense).

I am not sure what color CT's is but there is no need really to use it as refrence. From the screen caps from 11th hour it just looks to me like they may have shot primer right over the old crackle finish to cover damage and left it at that (if even that). You can see spots where it looks like the crackle is missing but there is gray over it. Nothing custom, I am just going to try a thin dusting of gray plastikote automotive primer I have sitting around here that looks the same color as what we see on screen.

I am thinking they did not completely strip and redo the whole thing for that one scene knowing the new Sonic was going to replace it. (no proof that is what they did but it looks like it and makes sense).

You're correct. "Sonic B" was used for that episode and a new screw was put in to level the extension as Matt extends and retracts it quite rapidly when scanning. The new paint is a dull grey shade on the original paint Job.
You have some excellent points on the sonic, and I have only small doubts on this sonic you're making. You seem to have the details spot on.
I mentioned CT's sonic as he recently released a version of the sonic that was used in this form. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

You're correct. "Sonic B" was used for that episode and a new screw was put in to level the extension as Matt extends and retracts it quite rapidly when scanning. The new paint is a dull grey shade on the original paint Job.
You have some excellent points on the sonic, and I have only small doubts on this sonic you're making. You seem to have the details spot on.
I mentioned CT's sonic as he recently released a version of the sonic that was used in this form. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

No inconvenience at all, thanks for taking an intrest in the project and commenting. Truth be told the body on this is actually drawn using this one as reference and there are some small differences between it and the 11th hour Sonic (most notably the bottom part of the tube under the ridges is a tiny bit shorter on the handle I used for reference than on the 11th hour Sonic).

I have to admit, the excitement of the gray Sonic has worn of considerably from January when I got the Season 5 box set and stated wokring on this. I am having some serious reservations about trashing a good paint job with the gray primer layer :lol.

13606-sonic-grid.jpg

Finally got the paint right (with A LOT of help, Thanks :$). I am going to sand it to knock a bit of the shininess off but I think the pattern is pretty much as screen accurate as possible. It is titan buff white (not sure if that is the exact color but it sure looks like it) over black (cracks look gray some places and black in others because there is a very thin layer of white over the smaller ones). The white sort of looks different depending on the light (between bright white, yellowish white to almost gray). This is right after the paint job (nothing else done). The crackle stuff is the Aleene's that was used on the original. I tried the Perfetto and the Craquelure and this stuff has a lot different finish than those do.

Daylight:
15156-2012-07-23-14-03-11-854.jpg

Florescent light:
15157-2012-07-23-14-28-50-84.jpg

Looks great. You did an awesome job with the crackle paint. That stuff is a pain in the ass to work with.

Pain in the ass does not cover it :lol.
I had to redo it a bunch of times. You can not tell if it has gone wrong until the very last step of course :lol

WOW, the effort people put into these sonic builds are brilliant, you have replicated the eleventh hour sonic beautifully, i cant wait to see more progress

This is a great build! Love all the little details.Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

...must be so awesome to have access to all those wonderful toys...like the lathe for instance...soooo many thingies I could make...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back