Sonic Screwdriver Sound Chip options

Taylor7500

I'm looking to fit a couple of replica sonics with a sound chip, but I'm not sure where to start and am looking for advice. As far as I can see, the best option is still to cannibalise one of the character options children's toys, but I'd appreciate any input on which screwdrivers contain chips which will fit in the small space and are easy enough to get to, and how best to lay out the surrounding electronics.

I did come across this old thread about fitting electronics to a RussRep screwdriver, which is exactly one of the replicas I want to fit sound to, but all the links are dead. I'd appreciate any insight from more experienced replica makers and tinkerers than myself to help make sure I head in the right direction.

As a side note, with the CO toys out of production and getting a little more expensive, if anyone knows of a cheaper way to get a compact sound-playing/LED chip into a tiny little tube, I'd appreciate the input. I did see the AdaFruit Audio FX sound board, but I suspect even with its compact size it'll still be too big to fit in at least some of the replicas.

I was looking into this last year, it seems that the best DIY option is to use the attiny85 chip and program it for the sound.

I modeled the 10 Sonic with the intention of having it machined but I got hung up on the model for the Electronics Chasis, now I have a 3d printer I plan to continue.

here are all the resources I found

I was looking into this last year, it seems that the best DIY option is to use the attiny85 chip and program it for the sound.

I modeled the 10 Sonic with the intention of having it machined but I got hung up on the model for the Electronics Chasis, now I have a 3d printer I plan to continue.

That's really helpful, thanks. I've been searching for a week and somehow completely missed these, the video in particular. I think between the circuitry in the instructable he linked in the comment and the EnCode software used to create a code array from a sound file it's certainly a lot more feasible (plus custom sounds seems like a fun option to have). I suppose now it's a game of engineering to fit everything into the tight spaces.

Ditto on the 3D printer - I have a couple of sonic-related projects I'm planning to roll out from there and hopefully rig up with some electronics and bits.

Sounds good. I'd be interested in seeing it once you do the project.

I'll probably share progress here on my projects as they go and ask for help when the inevitable pitfalls start appearing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back