Season 5 Sonic Screwdriver (Not the cool one with the claws :) )

phez

Sr Member
I got the Season 5 Blue-Ray disc set from my wife for Christmas and decided I needed one of those Gray looking Sonics that Smith uses in the first episode. I got to work on it tonight. I will post some update pic's as I go.

10661-season5sonic.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Season 5 Sonic Screwdriver (Not the cool one :) )

Where were all of you guys five years ago when I could not get a metal one of these for all of the tea in Burlin? Now they're everywhere!

Awesome job by the way! :thumbsup

Where were all of you guys five years ago when I could not get a metal one of these for all of the tea in Burlin? Now they're everywhere!

Awesome job by the way! :thumbsup

Learning how to run machining equipment so I could make one :lol:lol:lol.

Thanks.

Got some more work done on this today. I got a good start on the head part.

All of the lathe work done, on to the mill :):
10711-sh1.jpg

Cutting the side edges of the windows out:
10712-sh2.jpg

Cutting out the top and bottom edges of the windows:
10713-sh3.jpg

And the windows are done, on to cutting out the struts tomorrow:
10714-sh4.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was unaware that the one he used was any different to when Tennant had it. (Obviously talking about this particular model, not the current one. :p )

If my memory serves, doesn't the TARDIS give him a temporary one as the Tennant one breaks? (or am i thinking of a different episode where the TARDIS console fires one at him?)

If my memory serves, doesn't the TARDIS give him a temporary one as the Tennant one breaks? (or am i thinking of a different episode where the TARDIS console fires one at him?)

The Tardis gives him the new Sonic with the claws.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was unaware that the one he used was any different to when Tennant had it. (Obviously talking about this particular model, not the current one. :p )

Well actually it is not, it is just "the other hero :lol". It was used all over the place during Tennant's run. The one used in 11th hour

1. looks very gray in 11th
  2. uses flat head screws instead of set screws (one on the front under the slider slot)
I always think of the tan colored one when I think of "The Tennent Sonic". So I am just going to make one of each :lol.

Tanish Tennent (regular set screws both on back):
10717-tennetsonic.jpg

Gray 11th hour:

(One flat head screw on front)
10719-vlcsnap-2012-01-16-10h11m06s98.png

(One flat head screw on back)
10718-vlcsnap-2012-01-16-10h06m56s96.png

Last edited:
Will you be making more than one of these?
I had not even paid that much attention to it before you pointed it out.
Grey ....interesting.
Would you be willing to make parts?
Mobius

Ask him then. We'll see who is blind. :love

No need to ask him, I just posted screen caps showing the screw on the front. How can they both be sitting next to each other in the photo on his site if they are the same Sonic :confused, Photoshop :lol?

The one with the set screws in the back has the exact wear pattern on the thumb plate as the the one in the first photo above and the one on Rubbertoe's site. The other one has the exact wear pattern from 11th hour. You can see it clear as day in the photos on his site.

Sorry about the blind comment, it was rude and I edited my post to remove it.

Last edited:
How can they both be sitting next to each other in the photo on his site if they are the same Sonic :confused, Photoshop :lol?

I imagine that the pic was taken prior to 11th Hour before one of the props was repainted and modified for 11th Hour. The same prop that appears in your first pic. I've been privy to hi res pics of the 11th Hour prop and it's the same one that appears in your 1st pic, repainted.

I imagine that the pic was taken prior to 11th Hour before one of the props was repainted and modified for 11th Hour. The same prop that appears in your first pic. I've been privy to hi res pics of the 11th Hour prop and it's the same one that appears in your 1st pic, repainted.

They you are privy to bad information, you can see for yourself in the second screen cap that the one in the 11th hour is is the one with the screw on the front (unless I edited the screw into the video I took the screen cap from). The wear patterns on it in the screen caps look identical to what it looks like on Rubbertoes site. I am not sure what else to say, it is very obvious from looking at the photos. Hi Res pics would make no difference in what you can clearly see in screen caps. They are simply two different Sonic period.

They you are privy to bad information, you can see for yourself in the second screen cap that the one in the 11th hour is is the one with the screw on the front (unless I edited the screw into the video I took the screen cap from). The wear patterns on it in the screen caps look identical to what it looks like on Rubbertoes site. I am not sure what else to say, it is very obvious from looking at the photos. Hi Res pics would make no difference in what you can clearly see in screen caps. They are simply two different Sonic period.

Whatever :rolleyes

Here are both Sonics sitting right next to each other directly from the RubberToe site. What more can be said.

Here is the photo just to make it easy. One on left, screw in front, gray, sharp corners on switch plate (used in 11th hour). One on right, screws in back,. cream/tan, switch plate a bit rounded in the corners (the one from the first photo, you can even see the wear on the thumb plate).

If you look close you can even match the cracks in the paint from the first photo above to the first sonic photo on the Rubbertoe site.

10721-two-heros.jpg

Last edited:
Good god, do you see it here (Don't make me put a big yellow arrow :lol). This is the Sonic on the left in the photo of the two Sonics (and the one from 11th hour, you can see the screw clearly in the screen cap).

10722-screw-sonic.jpg

Here is the one on the right in the photo of the two. Notice the the EXACT wear on the thumb slide as in the first photo in my post above.

10723-slide-ware.jpg

Anything is possible, can you explain how you can tell that the tan looking Sonic is repainted rather than the one that looks gray and already has the screw in the front being used? If you could explain that it might help me to understand where you are coming from.

Last edited:
I am compelled to agree with LeAngeSolitaire on this one Phez. While there were indeed two sonics photographed together on rubbertoe props, the two you have posted here are one and the same. For verification, check out the distinct head positions. On the sonic that you believe this to be, the struts straddle the slider slot. In the 'caps however, one strut is in line with the slider slot. Check the rest of the pics on the site, and you'll see what I mean.

It could be that the bodies were swapped for The 11th hour too though, but unless there is a pic showing a lack of a bottom set screw, it'd be a hard sell.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back