[Scratch build] Star Trek Nemesis: phaser rifle

Dreamscape where did you find that template or did you make it yourself? I am trying to make my own for the exact same reason... waaay too expensive to purchase a kit. ($550-$1100 plus shipping to canada)

I made the template myself based on the source images from:
I also referenced Wizardofflight on deviantart.com - partcialrly their "rifle 2". This shows the cross sections really nicely too.

I definitely recommend Ronseal multi-purpose white wood filler. But if it did this again, I would use that for all the filling, and not hot glue to block up the corrugation in the card. It's a pain to sand which means it makes getting a smooth surface against the wood filler more tricky as it's two different materials that sand at different rates. I sanded the wood filler with a 120 grit.

The plastic filler primer is very nice - and once sanded with 800 grit leaves an almost plastic smooth finish to the surface.

Small update - I've now covered most of the surface in woodfiller, and sanded it back. I've added some detailed panels too. Really happy with the curved surfaces. Now weighs over half a kilogram.

20200609_013820.jpg

Added the first extra piece to the base unit - and covered it in filler. Looks a mess but should come up nicely. I really should add the sides to the rifle's stock.

20200609_231027.jpg

FYI - it can't balance on the handle anymore :p

Last edited:
Sanded the main rough bits out. Ran out of plastic filler primer so resorted to some standard grey car primer to highlight scratches and nicks. That ran out too.

Still a lot of edges need sharpened up, and lumps/bumps to be filled/sanded.

But I'm really happy with the results so far. Unsurprisingly it weighs 650g and feels like a piece of wood. Guess that's to be expected as its half solid wood filler!

20200611_002820.jpg

Finally got the stock filled in. Got some more sanding and layers to do on it before respraying.

But some areas like the handle are now so smooth they look and shine like plastic.

20200621_225557.jpg

I'll be starting on the barrell next. Although I may create the stock shoulder pad and chin rest (those will be covered in black foam.

Haven't done a great deal recently, but now built up the top of stock and added some more detail. Ill be starting on the barrel after I've sanded down and primed the top of stock.

20200719_201918.jpg

20200719_202027.jpg

20200719_202053.jpg

Now started on the barrel. Base layers of card done, and started to build up the wood filler. Havent quite decided how I'm going to do the bumps on the top, possibly foam strips or hot glue with filler over the top.

I won't attach this to the base until I'm happy that I've got the right shape.

20200723_215450.jpg

While I wait for this to dry - quick question...

Can anyone help me ID the black material used for the stock and hand grips? I'm thinking it might be rubber matting of some sort:

P111_7.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back