Score of my lifetime. SL ANH Vader face mask.

I'm still not sure how somebody just wanting to buy a Vader costume diminishes somebody's hard work. I also wouldn't call piecing the costume together from multiple vendors hard work. And the bar I'm talking about here is 501st approval.

Ok I'll shut up & stay away from this this thread & this sort of debate. Ruffles to many feathers. I too have my issues. If you have been offended by my comments I apologize.

I don't think ruffling feathers is necessarily a bad thing if you're making a valid point, but of all the people to single out you had to pick somebody who absolutely has put in the miles when it comes to research and absolutely epitomises the point Vader45 was making. Voice In The Crowd has identified and located a hell of a lot of found parts that are now accessible to the community thanks to him not to mention being responsible for getting one of the high end Vader masks available - it's not his fault the majority of people didn't pick up on it!

I'm still not sure how somebody just wanting to buy a Vader costume diminishes somebody's hard work. I also wouldn't call piecing the costume together from multiple vendors hard work. And the bar I'm talking about here is 501st approval.

A lot of research needs done to identify the pieces a person wants. We just don't automatically know who sells parts or which parts are screen accurate when we are new to the game.

I have been building my Vader for ten years to be as screen accurate as possible and thats just buying parts. I've danced the dance and sang the song. It was not easy. You're naive to think it's not easy. One small mistake and a brand new part has to be bought. I have been there.

I have done a ton of research on the original costumes so there really isn't anything I have not seen that's been put out online regarding info and photos. I've logged in the hours and spent the money, more then I should have over the years altering or re buying parts.

Tell me again how it isn't easy? Even if somehow someone buys the correct accurate parts the first time around they did a ton of research. There are vendors out there with varying degrees of accuracy and the one building the costume needs to find out what they want and where to buy to create a look that is 501st approvable and is, to their tastes. And there is getting on the wait list and waiting months and sometimes years before even seeing your item.

I've seen many Vader builds abandoned more then I have seen completed. The waiting and costs can be very off putting. It takes patients and a strong desire to build any Star Wars costume. I have 5 that I finished and a Boba Fett I abandoned because my desire wasn't strong enough to jump the hoops to finish it regarding the wait and cost.

Last edited:
I don't think ruffling feathers is necessarily a bad thing if you're making a valid point, but of all the people to single out you had to pick somebody who absolutely has put in the miles when it comes to research and absolutely epitomises the point Vader45 was making. Voice In The Crowd has identified and located a hell of a lot of found parts that are now accessible to the community thanks to him not to mention being responsible for getting one of the high end Vader masks available - it's not his fault the majority of people didn't pick up on it!
Agreed. Voice in the Crowd has done more for the hobby than I'll ever be able to do and he has my highest respect for not only being knowledgeable and sharing that knowledge, but he's a cool guy.

At the end it makes no sense to discuss about recasting.Everyone can do it.The owner of the originalcast or a copy of that can do nothing because he has no rights from Disney/Lucasfilm.
BUT if you do that you will be banned from every important propcommunity.And that are the best people to sell your stuff.
So recasting makes no sense because your name is destroyed and you cannot sell enough stuff for high prices at the end.

So is it worth to make an expensive mold to sell some copys for cheap on ebay?

So its not only a moral error...its a bad business also I think.

Last edited:
At the end it makes no sense to discuss about recasting.Everyone can do it.The owner of the originalcast or a copy of that can do nothing because he has no rights from Disney/Lucasfilm.
BUT if you do that you will be banned from every important propcommunity.And that are the best people to sell your stuff.
So recasting makes no sense because your name is destroyed and you cannot sell enough stuff for high prices at the end.

I think there's a much simpler way to frame this in all honesty, the majority of prop communities have a code - by joining you are agreeing to follow that code irrespective of your views on recasting.

As this thread shows, recasts aren't only sold to people on ebay. Sometimes people who spend tons of time and effort can be fooled too. Unless you are one of the few who actually knows the details of the SL, it is hard to know if a cast is a real SL, a recast of an SL, or something that has no lineage to an SL at all. The high end collectors are the ones interested in these and may jump at the chance to get one because of the scarcity of real SLs.

A seller probably won't he able to sell recasts to the community that does research for very long before being caught, but it does happen. The recast of the CFO ROTJ TK is another example.

As this thread shows, recasts aren't only sold to people on ebay. Sometimes people who spend tons of time and effort can be fooled too. Unless you are one of the few who actually knows the details of the SL, it is hard to know if a cast is a real SL, a recast of an SL, or something that has no lineage to an SL at all. The high end collectors are the ones interested in these and may jump at the chance to get one because of the scarcity of real SLs.

A seller probably won't he able to sell recasts to the community that does research for very long before being caught, but it does happen. The recast of the CFO ROTJ TK is another example.

It's not just CFO he recast though is it?

Yes thats right...but can this recasterguys really sell so much castings before the community finds them?
You cannot sell some SL or TM helmets a week and nobody will see that.

I´m not really an expert about trooperarmor...and I have no clue how often Mark from CFO or RS are selling a armor.I´m only speaking for the high end Vaderhelmets.
I´ve seen recasts from SPFX helmets on ebay...a recaster recasted a recasted helmet.Strange... :D
And this example shows that its not a good idea to sell high end props on ebay to everybody...and for low prices.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back