Cbstudios

Sr Member
Is this the right section? Is a mask a prop or a costume? Has god forsaken us? Whats your favourite scary movie? I have the answers to only one of those questions.
As a long time collector of Scream and Ghostface masks, I've always wanted a proper "The Killer" mask replica to round out my set. I've got the official Fun World ones, but I've never seen a replica that I really liked.
image-scary-movie-01.jpg

This is the look I really wanted. "Hello Drew" has stuck in my mind since I first saw the movie, so off I went with a big lump of claymate oil based clay.

I don't have a whole lot of work in progress images as I tend to zone out as I start, but I'd roughly scaled the mask in the above image to full size, and stuck it down to my board, this gave me a base shape and proportions to work from, and I built up from there
After 4 or so hours of blocking out, checking reference and using an EU mold mask and a official Smiley mask as visual reference, we had something close to what I wanted.
02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

A quick side-by-side showed that the eyes and the jaw still needed some tweaking. Every single reference photo of this mask looks different, so I had to pick one look and go with that.
05.jpg

If you've stared at the screen used mask as long as I have, you'll notice that the mouth of the mask isn't rubber like the standard Ghostface masks, but is the same fabric as the eye mesh. I've decided to sculpt the mouth solid with the little Funworld breathing hole at the top, so it will visually match the licenced pieces. I may do a mesh one for screen accuracy, but this way I can have either or.

Sculpting finished, and surface smoothed and refined. Next up he sleeps with the Hydrocal fishes.
06.jpg
07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

Time for a splash of that ol' white.

12.jpg

And then the exciting part, I ran a cleaner pull in some spare latex, and got to see how it looked in rubber. This shot next to a busted 2000's smiley I'm whitening and repairing shows the overall scale and size well. I'm super happy with this.

13.jpg

and finally, some shots of my test casts. Working out the dwell time for the thickness I want is important, as I want these to feel as legit as possible.

14.jpg15.jpg

Next post will hopefully have some painted whites and blacks, and maybe even some hood construction.

An important thing to note is that I'm NOT making these to sell, this is purely a personal project so no blanks or finished masks are gonna leave my workshop.

stay tuned for more!

Ok, so some progess.

Here's a lovely shot of some curing latex in the hydrocal mould. I found that dwelling it for 2.5 hours was about right for what I needed thickness wise.

20.jpg

Once I'd gotten a cast I was happy with, I shot it with two even coats of White Plasti-dip. This stuff bonds great to latex, protects against UV pretty well and gives a great even cover. Its pricey as **** here in Aus, but sucks to suck I guess. The eyeliner, nose and mouth paint was also done in Plasti-dip but hand brushed. I trimmed some nylon for the eye mesh and stuck it in with e6000.
21.jpg

A test fit in a Fun World robe, looking REALLY good now.
22.jpg

I used some fabric from a halloween Ghostface style costume I've had kicking around in the shop, and sewed up a rough shroud to mimic what the Funworld masks have, complete with tassels, and stitched it to the latex face. Its a bit rough as its only a test, but looked pretty great to me.
23.jpg24.jpg
and Finally, a shot with a digitally mocked up tag.

tagmockup.png

Just a little update, I made a 25th Anniversary style Sparkle hood for one of my doofy casts, i decided to name it the Doofus Deluxe, and I've now got a youtube video showing both these masks off!

How much for these? I purchased one from an indy artist who makes various replica horror film masks and costumes (no longer makes this mask), and I’d love to have a 2nd version as I felt his facial expression’s varies slightly even with the same mask. Here is what mine looks like. Would love to have a copy of yours!

Also, if anyone has the vintage nacho chips bag he has (has the see through window, I have a pic saved somewhere) or the ‘Killer Lite’ 40oz sticker label (I can buy the full 40oz filled with tea and the label but it’s around $50-60:/)

Attachments

• 42322EA4-2EA5-4800-A6BB-0E4659180049.jpeg
    42322EA4-2EA5-4800-A6BB-0E4659180049.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 487
  • 515A5CC8-3BAE-4632-A177-418C7D46609D.jpeg
    515A5CC8-3BAE-4632-A177-418C7D46609D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 829
  • FA697CC8-9077-4572-AEE2-CEFAC4F6352D.jpeg
    FA697CC8-9077-4572-AEE2-CEFAC4F6352D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 394
  • 51C71EEB-5893-4B9A-AEC7-C7D173A5ABD5.jpeg
    51C71EEB-5893-4B9A-AEC7-C7D173A5ABD5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 213
and for those with an empty 40oz malt liquor bottle; here’s the ‘St Dies’ from the fridge, and a chip bag as a reference to how his is, which looks to be red and black with a clear window like some of the 1990s bags? Anyone know the exact bag used or if it was custom made for the film like the beer labels?
image.jpg
, the ‘Killer Genuine Draft’ label, and a chip bag

View attachment 1584497

Attachments

• 4A8C2904-2E86-495E-841C-E0FC5690FBAC.jpeg
    4A8C2904-2E86-495E-841C-E0FC5690FBAC.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 90A8580B-D7D8-4920-AF0C-EAE62D344284.jpeg
    90A8580B-D7D8-4920-AF0C-EAE62D344284.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 119
Is this the right section? Is a mask a prop or a costume? Has god forsaken us? Whats your favourite scary movie? I have the answers to only one of those questions.
As a long time collector of Scream and Ghostface masks, I've always wanted a proper "The Killer" mask replica to round out my set. I've got the official Fun World ones, but I've never seen a replica that I really liked.
View attachment 1542064
This is the look I really wanted. "Hello Drew" has stuck in my mind since I first saw the movie, so off I went with a big lump of claymate oil based clay.

I don't have a whole lot of work in progress images as I tend to zone out as I start, but I'd roughly scaled the mask in the above image to full size, and stuck it down to my board, this gave me a base shape and proportions to work from, and I built up from there
After 4 or so hours of blocking out, checking reference and using an EU mold mask and a official Smiley mask as visual reference, we had something close to what I wanted.
View attachment 1542069View attachment 1542070View attachment 1542071

A quick side-by-side showed that the eyes and the jaw still needed some tweaking. Every single reference photo of this mask looks different, so I had to pick one look and go with that.
View attachment 1542072

If you've stared at the screen used mask as long as I have, you'll notice that the mouth of the mask isn't rubber like the standard Ghostface masks, but is the same fabric as the eye mesh. I've decided to sculpt the mouth solid with the little Funworld breathing hole at the top, so it will visually match the licenced pieces. I may do a mesh one for screen accuracy, but this way I can have either or.

Sculpting finished, and surface smoothed and refined. Next up he sleeps with the Hydrocal fishes.
View attachment 1542073View attachment 1542074View attachment 1542075View attachment 1542076View attachment 1542077View attachment 1542078

View attachment 1542079

And then the exciting part, I ran a cleaner pull in some spare latex, and got to see how it looked in rubber. This shot next to a busted 2000's smiley I'm whitening and repairing shows the overall scale and size well. I'm super happy with this.

View attachment 1542080

and finally, some shots of my test casts. Working out the dwell time for the thickness I want is important, as I want these to feel as legit as possible.

View attachment 1542081View attachment 1542082

Next post will hopefully have some painted whites and blacks, and maybe even some hood construction.

An important thing to note is that I'm NOT making these to sell, this is purely a personal project so no blanks or finished masks are gonna leave my workshop.

stay tuned for more!

View attachment 1542064

View attachment 1542069View attachment 1542070View attachment 1542071

View attachment 1542072

View attachment 1542073View attachment 1542074View attachment 1542075View attachment 1542076View attachment 1542077View attachment 1542078

View attachment 1542079

View attachment 1542080

View attachment 1542081View attachment 1542082

stay tuned for more!
I own both of my screen worn masks. The reason the mouth is fabric is because I did the voice live and improved most of it. So we cut the og foam latext mouth and places fabric. This altered the shape of the mouth (and overall mask) the solid mouth original look and shape of mask was closer to Scream GF - it is only featured me wearing it in one seen outside the school standing by the tree- you will see what the mask looked like before we cut the mouth out and I also pulled/tied the masked tight- (resulting in altering, stretching the mouth wider)) so that it would not shift during any of my fighting or physical comedy scenes.

Please feel free to reach out to me via email (anyone on here who are also GhostFace mask fans) would love to help you make your best attempts at the holy grail of GhostFace masks. . Email sheridanscope@icloud.com

Ps. Looking to do a signing (with mask replicas in hand ) in Australia (and any other countries that I can hit- before I can no longer travel- I am battling intestinal cancer - but it’s contained and at stage zero) so please email me if you know of a convention or theatre I could book a signing at. Would love to meet you and many others.

I truly respect and appreciate everyone that has been drawn to the Ghost - imo GF is the Batman of killers. Always just a regular person under the mask and robe, unlike the other staple icons - GF can be anyone of us, not supernatural nor unhuman - just a person with car keys and wallet in their pocket - (and a cell phone bill that’s payed most of the time )

Anyway. Amazing job on your mask(s) everyone on here- keep up the craft no matter what your interest is. I’m just starting to do molds and sculpts myself and I LOVE IT! And always know - the first artist in the world do it via carving into rock. So you are a branch of that very first form of human expression.

I’ll miss you humans!!! Xoxo dave sheridan.

Attachments

• 991A6D7D-71E8-4AA0-855B-34F0ADD2492A.jpeg
    991A6D7D-71E8-4AA0-855B-34F0ADD2492A.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 555
I own both of my screen worn masks. The reason the mouth is fabric is because I did the voice live and improved most of it. So we cut the og foam latext mouth and places fabric. This altered the shape of the mouth (and overall mask) the solid mouth original look and shape of mask was closer to Scream GF - it is only featured me wearing it in one seen outside the school standing by the tree- you will see what the mask looked like before we cut the mouth out and I also pulled/tied the masked tight- (resulting in altering, stretching the mouth wider)) so that it would not shift during any of my fighting or physical comedy scenes.

Please feel free to reach out to me via email (anyone on here who are also GhostFace mask fans) would love to help you make your best attempts at the holy grail of GhostFace masks. . Email sheridanscope@icloud.com

Ps. Looking to do a signing (with mask replicas in hand ) in Australia (and any other countries that I can hit- before I can no longer travel- I am battling intestinal cancer - but it’s contained and at stage zero) so please email me if you know of a convention or theatre I could book a signing at. Would love to meet you and many others.

I truly respect and appreciate everyone that has been drawn to the Ghost - imo GF is the Batman of killers. Always just a regular person under the mask and robe, unlike the other staple icons - GF can be anyone of us, not supernatural nor unhuman - just a person with car keys and wallet in their pocket - (and a cell phone bill that’s payed most of the time )

Anyway. Amazing job on your mask(s) everyone on here- keep up the craft no matter what your interest is. I’m just starting to do molds and sculpts myself and I LOVE IT! And always know - the first artist in the world do it via carving into rock. So you are a branch of that very first form of human expression.

I’ll miss you humans!!! Xoxo dave sheridan.
Hey Dave!

This is single handedly the coolest response I’ve ever gotten to my work on here! I cannot begin to explain how much I love hearing about the intricacies of your masks, as they’re some of the most complicated and least documented pieces in the Scream and Ghostface world!

I’ll be sending an email your way soon, as I’ve done some work with two of our larger conventions here in Australia, so I may be a little help at possibly getting you booked for a show here!

Thanks so much for your reply dude!

This turned out amazing! There have been very few Scary Movie Spoof masks that have looked close to the screen used one, but this for sure is one of the closest I've seen! I still find it hilarious that Fun World never released the spoof killer mask because they feared it would be mistaken by the general public as THE Ghostface mask.

This turned out amazing! There have been very few Scary Movie Spoof masks that have looked close to the screen used one, but this for sure is one of the closest I've seen! I still find it hilarious that Fun World never released the spoof killer mask because they feared it would be mistaken by the general public as THE Ghostface mask.
Thank you so much dude! I'm really proud of this sculpt. It’s been fun to play around with.

I didn’t post pics, not sure why, but I made a custom sparkle hood like the new 25th anniversary Ghostface masks and it looks like a million bucks. Ghostfaced I think you may have seen these on my ghostfacedownunder instagram.
6DD2CB70-A223-49B6-BDC9-9DA3C4FFC2BE.jpeg

39F1D378-BF55-479F-89DA-10D2E2DED68F.jpeg3FD7FE7A-A5FB-447A-93C2-09B4A026D6DE.jpegC926051E-BD6C-4163-83C7-EC11B9C49A4B.jpeg24AAFBB6-1F47-4E48-B6CA-2740F48A1294.jpeg0A79EA16-98A7-42F8-8BF6-35F50ADB270E.jpeg

Great reference for those labels there BladeRunnerFan , and awesome mask? I imagine that's one of the ones from a certain UK maker?
Honestly I can’t remember if he’s based in the UK or not, I’d have to check, I just remember he doesn’t advertise them for sale or make many of them anymore and had only sold it to me after I had asked him about the mask after asking another collector where they had gotten theirs. I need to get a more accurate hood for it, but the sculpt and finish on it I love as it has a finish similar to Dave’s with a sort of matte white and not the normal glossy white look most of the new ghost face masks have. Lol I am still searching for that chip bag though, I’m putting together a display for it with replicas from the ‘Wazzup’ scene and just need the chip bag, the magazine on the table (looks like it says ‘District’ with an orange and black cover), and the cordless phone to finish it

Thank you so much dude! I'm really proud of this sculpt. It’s been fun to play around with.

I didn’t post pics, not sure why, but I made a custom sparkle hood like the new 25th anniversary Ghostface masks and it looks like a million bucks. Ghostfaced I think you may have seen these on my ghostfacedownunder instagram.
View attachment 1597273
View attachment 1597268View attachment 1597269View attachment 1597271View attachment 1597270View attachment 1597272
If you do decide to sell any copies lmk! I’d love to own a copy of yours!

Well, in the spirit of the spooky season, I’ve tested out another version of my Doofy mask. The mask in the film had a fabric mouth instead of the normal ghostface style rubber mouth, so I ran off another cast and added in a fabric panel like the eye mesh. I also tweaked the pattern for the shroud so it better matches the actual Funworld shrouds. I’m torn between whether I like the fabric mouth or the rubber mouth more but either way I’m stoked with how this one looks

Attachments

• 3810BF24-B293-471B-8914-198C469D909C.jpeg
    3810BF24-B293-471B-8914-198C469D909C.jpeg
    914 KB · Views: 498
  • 85D4F380-E160-4CED-B869-B983EB7AFCF0.jpeg
    85D4F380-E160-4CED-B869-B983EB7AFCF0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 273
  • 223BAD1C-8993-4280-B4DB-32AF39887DC9.jpeg
    223BAD1C-8993-4280-B4DB-32AF39887DC9.jpeg
    933.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 76975DD4-EB0C-4859-AD70-9B80D6E6A24E.jpeg
    76975DD4-EB0C-4859-AD70-9B80D6E6A24E.jpeg
    890.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 4C03BDA5-EBFA-408B-AB46-072E07D957E9.jpeg
    4C03BDA5-EBFA-408B-AB46-072E07D957E9.jpeg
    915.6 KB · Views: 247

View attachment 1597273
View attachment 1597268View attachment 1597269View attachment 1597271View attachment 1597270View attachment 1597272
These are honestly so amazing

View attachment 1597273
These are honestly so amazing, great work on this! you honestly really should start making more of these and selling them. You can buy pretty much every GhostFace mask but this one so I’m sure you’d make good money off of this. I personally have been searching everywhere for this specific mask and if you would ever be willing to make one and sell it to me I would be very grateful!

These are honestly so amazing

These are honestly so amazing, great work on this! you honestly really should start making more of these and selling them. You can buy pretty much every GhostFace mask but this one so I’m sure you’d make good money off of this. I personally have been searching everywhere for this specific mask and if you would ever be willing to make one and sell it to me I would be very grateful!
Thanks! I've definitely been asked a bunch to start selling these hahah, its really nice to know so many people think so highly of it!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back