Limited Run SaberBay DARKSABER season 3 finish now available (limited quantities) saberbay.com

Here’s my install for anyone who wants an idea of what the process is like. I didn’t include every detail of hilt/chassis prep, so if you have questions feel free to ask away. I will try to answer any questions I can for installation or assembly. Hope everyone else is, or will soon be, enjoying their saber as much as me!

96D5FC92-4EAC-4B34-9ACA-D884B64887AB.jpeg

Anyone else get this? It’s been a few days. Should I be worried it’s lost?

For those that have theirs already and have weathered their grips. How'd you go? I like the alublack method, but I don't think it 100% matches what's on screen, which looks to be more of an even, 1 tone finish. The alublack treatment seems to give a sort of gradient look and 'highlight' the edges of the grips. The only method I can think of now is to handpaint with acrylic or enamel paints. I hate to be so nit-picky, and I'm not trying to be negative about this run, just looking at how to make this thing perfect

Has anyone here achieved a smooth, consistent result with alublack?

Me too. The darksaber must be won in combat; apparently UPS is fighting the ferocious... Intern. Or something of that sort.
I'm wondering if it's because tje shipping labels were made and printed but then... nothing. I had an option on the UPS site to open a claim before the new message appeared. Maybe after a certain amount of time, the system just thinks the item is lost?

For those that have theirs already and have weathered their grips. How'd you go? I like the alublack method, but I don't think it 100% matches what's on screen, which looks to be more of an even, 1 tone finish. The alublack treatment seems to give a sort of gradient look and 'highlight' the edges of the grips. The only method I can think of now is to handpaint with acrylic or enamel paints. I hate to be so nit-picky, and I'm not trying to be negative about this run, just looking at how to make this thing perfect

AB can be tricky to use. Even more so in this application. But I use AB for darkening and weathering purposes. Ideally if I had enough AB and wasn’t worried about the anodizing on the grips I would have simply submerged this. I find this gives the most even and consistent finish in all the things I have AB’d.

That said if I were to do this over in AFBB fashion, I would have taped off the valleys and airbrushed the grips and then cleared it.

Submerging the handle in aluminum black will give an even and consistent finish, but will certainly be completely black, like this:

F6CE76AB-1424-4079-A05D-DE54388854EC.jpeg

The way the grips are machined, with 90 degree machining, the hilt will never be truly screen accurate. For this reason, as well as the screen used prop looking (to me) like painted plastic, I tried to color the grips how I imagine a thousand year old beskar hilt would look:

04D0E841-A7AD-4D2D-A6C3-EFD39E291832.jpeg

5F17433C-F482-447A-861D-76C163225D30.jpeg

That said, if you really want to nail the solid grey finish of the actual prop, you’re probably going to have to mask and paint.

If you have any questions or concerns about your order please email me directly justin@saberbay.com as opposed to asking here

All paid NON INSTALLED orders have been shipped
Installed units we are wanting all done by may4th
Some will be shipping earlier then others in order of when paid
If you have any questions or concerns about your order please email me directly as opposed to asking here

If you want your weathering darkened or lightened up we have extra main grip sections and can use yours in hand or start over just let us know

Justin@saberbay.com

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
And
MTFBWY

If you have any questions or concerns about your order please email me directly justin@saberbay.com as opposed to asking here

All paid NON INSTALLED orders have been shipped
Installed units we are wanting all done by may4th
Some will be shipping earlier then others in order of when paid
If you have any questions or concerns about your order please email me directly as opposed to asking here

If you want your weathering darkened or lightened up we have extra main grip sections and can use yours in hand or start over just let us know

Justin@saberbay.com

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
And
MTFBWY
Gotta be a huge relief to have the run done except installed. Thanks for putting up with all us impatient nudniks. Can't wait for mine to come in. :cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back