ROTJ E-11 Builds

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

GCLAMBERT89

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone ever find a source for 1.375" aluminum of steel with a big seam down the middle, like the MGC has?
Are you speaking of the receiver? If so, you won’t find a source. I believe they had either stamped out or milled the pattern from 2mm sheet metal, and then rolled the metal into a cylinder. After that they spot welded everything together down the seam. If you look closely you can see the holes of the barrel are not perfect circles, because they were added before the metal was rolled.

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Right. Makes sense. I was just wondering if someone found a good source for tubing with a seam present, so that a semi accurate replica could be fashioned form it.

bobasfett

I know they make welded steel tubing for hydraulic applications, but trying to find something to mimic the MGC receiver tube would be really difficult. I would suppose if you were hell bent on going as accurate as possible, you should reach out to some laser cutters in your area; it may be feasible to source the solid tubing and laser cut the tube length. Just thinking out loud.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.