ROTJ Darth Vader Graflex Stunt (MoM)(a.k.a. DV6) – by WannaWanga

What if initially the ball catch was supposed to go onto the saber like so :

View attachment 1600264

And they made a hole for the first screw to go, yet changed their mind since the ball catch did not resemble the MPP bulb release enough :

View attachment 1600265

Thus ending up with a partly cut ball catch and an extra hole ... as seen clearly in the original DV6 picture :

View attachment 1600263

Here's another rare picture which to me clearly shows a hole :

View attachment 1600276

Hole or divot ... I leave that up to your personal preference ... as long as you add something there to resemble what's on the prop lightsaber :)

Chaïm

P.S. As to why the prop-guys choose a ball catch to substitute for the bulb release is another discussion ;)
Given the alignment of the divot / hole / smudge / and where the ball catch is screwed down, I think you are right on target with a theory that makes sense.

Last edited:
Hey guys long time watcher here and first time poster, i think i might have a little bit of a discovery for the dv6 bottom, upon working on roys beautiful kit and a beat up vintage of mine i began to build and assemble my grip section / kobold area, i know the general idea is that the end cap has resin and paint but upon a second glance at this photo and colour showing through i do believe the end is actually a brass cap thats been painted to blend back in, you can see the rough edges and tooling marks from metal sheet sheers/ tin snips just near the edges, i will try my best to show my rough template and crude quick test with some brass i had, bare in mind my brass is way thicker than it would be but if you look closely you can definitely see the cap shape and once you see it you cant unsee its placement. To me this explains why the end would have been painted back to a silver and why so much of the gold brass is coming through, its not a common area of ware for a 3 cell bottom and when you look around the edges you can pick out the crude cuts that they attempted to make somewhat rounded. Hope this helps and definitely would love to know your thoughts.

Attachments

• inbound8905398655302987714.jpg
    inbound8905398655302987714.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 148
  • inbound6110309129278485673.jpg
    inbound6110309129278485673.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 150
  • inbound4056361872292961158.jpg
    inbound4056361872292961158.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 158
  • inbound3012402555704227549.jpg
    inbound3012402555704227549.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 159
It was heavily discussed some time ago in a few different research threads, they probably still include pictures. here's the general consensus, including a dremel scratch on the right side

I'm glad you caught that, good eye! This was the theory many years ago and I agree it still holds true. This came up again a few pages back on this very thread
Hey guys long time watcher here and first time poster, i think i might have a little bit of a discovery for the dv6 bottom, upon working on roys beautiful kit and a beat up vintage of mine i began to build and assemble my grip section / kobold area, i know the general idea is that the end cap has resin and paint but upon a second glance at this photo and colour showing through i do believe the end is actually a brass cap thats been painted to blend back in, you can see the rough edges and tooling marks from metal sheet sheers/ tin snips just near the edges, i will try my best to show my rough template and crude quick test with some brass i had, bare in mind my brass is way thicker than it would be but if you look closely you can definitely see the cap shape and once you see it you cant unsee its placement. To me this explains why the end would have been painted back to a silver and why so much of the gold brass is coming through, its not a common area of ware for a 3 cell bottom and when you look around the edges you can pick out the crude cuts that they attempted to make somewhat rounded. Hope this helps and definitely would love to know your thoughts.

I just went back through the thread and definitely see this has been a topic before so thats awesome to see, i will definitely be going the brass plate for sure and playing around with scaling a template and slapping some paint on some more tests haha. Roys kit is absolutely stunning and im beyond happy that we are lucky enough to have the opportunity to build this saber and give some love to our more worn/ rusty graflex top and bottoms.

If this is your first time posting, it means you have been depriving everyone of a great eye for detail, my friend.

;)

Todays progress on the dv6, made a quick template to do the divot and couldn't be more happy with its placement, i used a small pin punch and did it 3 or 4 times to get the depth i wanted into the brass. Also finished a couple test brass caps for the end and sized them to fit a 3 cell bottom with my printed template. Upon looking at the original photo and my template i could pretty much guarantee they used a folmer bottom with the thinner outside lip as previously discussed by you guys it could have been a recycled esb hilt for sure, hence why the thinner lip shows more on the screen used prop.

Attachments

• 20220725_172600.jpg
    20220725_172600.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • 20220725_172537.jpg
    20220725_172537.jpg
    956.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220725_172511.jpg
    20220725_172511.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220725_172354.jpg
    20220725_172354.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 140
  • 20220725_172930.jpg
    20220725_172930.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 133
Still makes me slap my forehead to realize that the ROTS saber (only seen in publicity photos) was baes on the Frankenstein-ed ROTJ Vader saber!

BTW: that all silver version looks awesome!

Last edited:
This is how the D-Rings came out after ~12 hours in the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar. The Kobold D-ring barely rusted. I take it these are different materials roygilsing ? How did you get yours to rust so nicely in your example build?

5743DC06-1FDE-4330-94EA-51FF67763488.jpeg

Still makes me slap my forehead to realize that the ROTS saber (only seen in publicity photos) was baes on the Frankenstein-ed ROTJ Vader saber!

BTW: that all silver version looks awesome!
I thought the ROTS Vader hilt was based upon the Barbican saber hilt and not the MOM hilt?

FF26D5BB-2C54-4BBE-9EDD-C6C5B4F3BE8F.jpeg

Was there another version built for ROTS that resembled the MOM hilt?

This is how the D-Rings came out after ~12 hours in the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar. The Kobold D-ring barely rusted. I take it these are different materials roygilsing ? How did you get yours to rust so nicely in your example build?

View attachment 1605660
I asked Roy

View attachment 1605660
Roy told me his D-ring he used on his DV6 is actually fake. He just used pigments to make it look rusty.
The D-ring that comes in Roy's kit has been dipped in chrome, it will not rust with the chrome on it. The method I used was to dip it first in Muriatic acid and let it soak removing the chrome first i do lightly scuff it up with sand paper just to give the acid something easier to grab. Once the chrome is stripped off I then put mine in the Vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide / salt mixture. Here is my result.
nnVljbX.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back