Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Was that meant to be a pun? I took 'aspirations' to mean Krennic's desire for recognition from the Emperor. But the hand gesture was laughable. It was like he'd just released a little budgie perched on his finger.
What stood out for me was the bacta tank shot followed by Vaders entrance from a misty background, like he just got out the shower. We're the emperors guards there to towel him down? :)

"Aspirations" as used has a double meaning. One is Krennic's aspirations for recognition and power, as you pointed out, the other being "aspirations" referring to drawing in a breath which Krennic was unable to do in that moment.

Thanks for the correction, I forgot that the U-Wing had already been destroyed by that time. Still, nobody has anything? I suppose that K2 could have been explained that he was aboard the transport and was being transferred to Scariff, but how do you explain Cassian looking different from the original officer that boarded and Jynn being shorter than the guy who's uniform she took? As I recall, there were 2 guards out in front of the transport when the inspectors went in, did they not pay attention to the people who went in and who came out? If so, it's no wonder the Empire lost, Stormtroopers have some serious lack of situational awareness, either that or everybody just looks the same to them.

As far as the Troopers are concerned both Cassian and K2 were on board being transported to Scarrif. They don't really care why the other officer decided not to get back off of the transport just yet. As for Jyn, she can't be that much shorter than the guy she replaced. I certainly didn't notice, all she has to do is get past a passing glance.

As far as the Troopers are concerned both Cassian and K2 were on board being transported to Scarrif. They don't really care why the other officer decided not to get back off of the transport just yet. As for Jyn, she can't be that much shorter than the guy she replaced. I certainly didn't notice, all she has to do is get past a passing glance.

And as Jyn mentioned in her speech to the troops, they weren't expecting them so the Imperials on Scariff weren't likely at a high state of alert.

Curious what that's derived from. Day 1: Tantive IV arrives over Tatooine, is captured, droids land. Evening, R2 is captured. Next morning, day 2, Threepio is captured. Evening, R2 leaves after Luke removes restraining bolt. Day 3: they find R2, Larses killed, leave Tatooine. The whole time in hyperspace, on the Death Star, and getting to the Rebel base seems to take less than a day -- or at least no one sleeps. Although Luke is pretty wiped out about Ben and we have no idea how long the trip is from Alderaan to Yavin, so let that be the next day they arrive. If the Death Star takes it stime getting there, I can stretch it out to maybe one more day. Which is five. But six days? How?
It would be even one day less than that, as Threepio was picked up first, THEN Artoo at sundown. Opening of film to R2 capture...one day.

I give Rogue One a 9.5/10. I missed having the opening crawl, and I wished Saw Gerrera got more screen time, but I was otherwise blown away. A few effects left me wondering how they did them, I really hope to see some visual effects wins at the Oscars this year. They were just SO perfect, it made my mind flip. Like, I was looking at something which simply shouldn't exist. It was beyond surreal. And I loved Vaders dialogue. It's easy to go too cheesy with Vader. But it was the perfect amount of menacing.

Just came back from my fourth viewing and I noticed that too!

This may have been discussed before, but was it me, or were Vaders gloves scaled quite a bit? I thought in the OT he had more guantlet type gloves. Im on my work computer so I cant look for images, but anyone else notice that?

When I watched TFA, Rey's theme was memorable after the first viewing. I've seen RO three times now and I still don't remember the soundtrack. What I do remember is when the ROGUE ONE title hits the screen and the main theme plays it feels like a SW parody a la Spaceballs. Still, MG has at least three months to re score for the DVD release. Two months more than he was initially given.

When I watched TFA, Rey's theme was memorable after the first viewing. I've seen RO three times now and I still don't remember the soundtrack. What I do remember is when the ROGUE ONE title hits the screen and the main theme plays it feels like a SW parody a la Spaceballs. Still, MG has at least three months to re score for the DVD release. Two months more than he was initially given.

That won't be happening

J

I have been listening to the score on Spotify the last two days and the themes are there. I remember after TFA that there a lot complaints about that score too. I thought something was off, but after I listened to the score by itself, I really enjoyed it.

I am starting to think the sound mix doesn't emphasize the score as much we are used too.

In praise of the soundtrack the quiet reverence of the score as the crippled destroyers crash into the gate, the plans are successfully transmitted, the DS main weapon fires. I thought this was particularly moving and fitting.

Its a valid point. But an obviously short stormtrooper made it all over the actual Death Star without being noticed by anyone. Leia saw it immediately, but not garrisons of other troopers or any senior officers. This is why they lose I suppose, they don't pay attention to the details!

Yeah, but at that point in the Star Wars timeline, weren't they already phasing out the clone troopers and opening up the ranks to non-clones? So it's possible there was a short stormtrooper. I don't think it was an observation made by Leia so much as her being the smartass defiant prisoner as much as possible. JMO though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but at that point in the Star Wars timeline, weren't they already phasing out the clone troopers and opening up the ranks to non-clones? So it's possible there was a short stormtrooper. I don't think it was an observation made by Leia so much as her being the smartass defiant prisoner as much as possible. JMO though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on 70's sensitivities though, there would still have been military/police height restrictions when George wrote that, hence the line, clones or not.

As silly as we all sound nitpicking over short stormtroopers, choking on aspirations, or timeline for a cut Biggs scene, this really is fun stuff. Wish we could all get together over beers and discuss.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow, that's interesting, Lyra in early versions of the story was a Jedi in hiding.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/there-was-almost-a-jedi-in-rogue-one-1790442831

As much as I like Jedi I'm glad they kept them out of this movie. I like the theme of showing regular soldiers doing their part. If they absolutely had to though it would have fit. Although I really doubt even being an expert of Khyber (sp?) crystals would help you if you were sheltering a Jedi.

As for the music I didn't think it was that bad. It was different, but it fit. I didn't really like TFA's music, but I only saw it once. I thought in Rogue One they might have used the Imperial March, but I figure they didn't want to use it so it would still show up in ESB if you watched the movies in order.

As for Tarkin - see if you can find anyone who noticed that he was CGI and didn't already know that walking in.

Seeing as how Peter Cushing has been dead for over 20 years, I think we all knew he was CGI the second we laid eyes on him. ;)

But seriously, I think you are right - if someone had never seen ANH, and had no idea who Peter Cushing was or what he looked like, the CGI would not have stood out as much. I still think people would have been able to tell there was some computer wizardry in play, but mentally, they would not be comparing/contrasting what they saw on-screen in R1 with what they saw in ANH.

Sorry for replying to something older in this thread (I'm still making my way through everything), but as someone who didn't get into SW until high school (right before the special editions came out), I didn't know that the actor who played Tarkin had passed. Watching the film, I couldn't tell that he was CGI, but there was an "offness" to him, not in the uncanny valley side, but that he felt like he wasn't "there" in the scenes, that he had been added in later.

So, I went in not knowing that the character would be in the film, not knowing the actor was dead, or anything. And while I didn't peg it as CGI, I did peg something as off. In 2D.

Leia, on the other hand, I couldn't tell anything with, and was disappointed that the credits didn't list her at all, I didn't know if it was heavy makeup on a look-alike or what.

Sorry for replying to something older in this thread (I'm still making my way through everything), but as someone who didn't get into SW until high school (right before the special editions came out), I didn't know that the actor who played Tarkin had passed. Watching the film, I couldn't tell that he was CGI, but there was an "offness" to him, not in the uncanny valley side, but that he felt like he wasn't "there" in the scenes, that he had been added in later.

So, I went in not knowing that the character would be in the film, not knowing the actor was dead, or anything. And while I didn't peg it as CGI, I did peg something as off. In 2D.

Leia, on the other hand, I couldn't tell anything with, and was disappointed that the credits didn't list her at all, I didn't know if it was heavy makeup on a look-alike or what.

That's interesting because I saw it again a few days ago, and it seemed to me that Tarkin looked less "uncanny valley" and Leia looked more so, upon my second viewing.

I should point out that my quibbles on Tarkin/Leia are all relative. These are excellent CGI creations.

Also, A New Hope was filmed in the mid-Seventies. It didn't occur to you that the actor playing Tarkin was probably dead 40 years later? ;)

Also, A New Hope was filmed in the mid-Seventies. It didn't occur to you that the actor playing Tarkin was probably dead 40 years later? ;)

Honestly, it's not something that I'd ever thought about. The movies were almost 20 years old when I saw them for the first time, after all ^^;

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back