Rocketeer Cirrus X3- The Veepy Build

A clear coat can be used to protect your hard work! If done properly! This one here has several coats and has not lost that authentic look!
IMG_5230.jpg
IMG_5234.jpg

Hurd Drafting L Thanks, I did add a clear coat. It was especially for the spray paint I used. There are a few scratches I need to fix that happened along the way.

I also have a few updates!

I was able to stain and clear coat the box!
PhotoGrid_Plus_1633998354427.jpg

I was also able to make the corner guards! They were only in a few short seconds of the movie. I was able to pause it and change the contrast to see the shape. This is what I came up with.

PhotoGrid_Plus_1633998403826.jpg

I will need to paint them a brass color still. They are just rough cuts, I will clean them up more before painting.

I'm going to build the inside up the inside with foam to support the rocket.

More to come!

MTB,
If it were mine I would make plywood dividers to hold the rocket in place. Most scientific equipment from the era would use the style we see in old microscope cases. Cover the dividers with green felt and use leather straps to secure the contents. Throw in a nomenclature label on the inside top lid to give it that look. I only make this as a suggestion. What ever way you go, I'm sure it will look outstanding!

Last edited:
It wasn’t cloth… I made a thread for the 30th somewhere on here related to my build of the suitcase and an actual pure zinc arc sprayed pack as done for the 2 hero packs everyone is trying to replicate in 3D prints w/ paint.

Things you’ll struggle to find:
1) original corners
2) exact latches
3) rivet dimensions/locations/installation
3) the leather handle (was custom made)
4) the interior lining exact materials and strap locations/components
5) the file folder (this was the most difficult)

Dimensional accuracy was nothing short of a nightmare as well but I believe I’m within 1/2”.
B8DE55E2-00E8-48CE-867A-B670586FD583.jpeg

It wasn’t cloth… I made a thread for the 30th somewhere on here related to my build of the suitcase and an actual pure zinc arc sprayed pack as done for the 2 hero packs everyone is trying to replicate in 3D prints w/ paint.

Things you’ll struggle to find:
1) original corners
2) exact latches
3) rivet dimensions/locations/installation
3) the leather handle (was custom made)
4) the interior lining exact materials and strap locations/components
5) the file folder (this was the most difficult)

Dimensional accuracy was nothing short of a nightmare as well but I believe I’m within 1/2”.View attachment 1502943

This is amazing!

Here are my thought on your points.

1) original corners- I had to custom make mine. From the looks of yours i was pretty damn close!
2) exact latches- They seemed to be the standard latch from all the shots I could see.
3) rivet dimensions/locations/installation- Yes this will be a pain but should be too hard as you get shots of almost every side of the box to count them.
3) the leather handle (was custom made)-I knew this would be next to impossible to find the correct one. I found one on amazon that was really close.
4) the interior lining exact materials and strap locations/components- As for the lining my plan was to make a foam cut out and line it with black felt. this is to protect my hard work on the rocket. As for the tools in the lid im still researching to see if there is a better picture showing all of them and trying to id some of the non common ones. Do you have a pic of this?
5) the file folder (this was the most difficult)- Do you have a name for it?

Thanks!

RuNvS I just saw your post with the case build. Where did you find pictures of the inside lid? I was not able to find anything online about it. I never knew there was a file folder in the lid.

Thanks!

This is amazing!

Here are my thought on your points.

1) original corners- I had to custom make mine. From the looks of yours i was pretty damn close!
2) exact latches- They seemed to be the standard latch from all the shots I could see.
3) rivet dimensions/locations/installation- Yes this will be a pain but should be too hard as you get shots of almost every side of the box to count them.
3) the leather handle (was custom made)-I knew this would be next to impossible to find the correct one. I found one on amazon that was really close.
4) the interior lining exact materials and strap locations/components- As for the lining my plan was to make a foam cut out and line it with black felt. this is to protect my hard work on the rocket. As for the tools in the lid im still researching to see if there is a better picture showing all of them and trying to id some of the non common ones. Do you have a pic of this?
5) the file folder (this was the most difficult)- Do you have a name for it?

Thanks!

1) I scoured several antique stores both in person and online before finding the exact corners. I may have more- it’s been a while.
2) The latches are not standard, they have a very unique design and machining pattern to both the top and bottom halves and I went through no less than 6 variants before finding the match. As with #1 I really need to look back through everything.
3) the handle was a huge pain because there are only a few photos in existence of it and most are brutally low quality. I finally identified the wrap pattern (which was honestly not impressive) and bought some leather working tools and a hide and made mine.
4) They didn’t use foam on the original it was a wooden shelf for the cutout for the top of the rocketpack and there’s only 1 photo I’ve ever found that definitively shows triangle shelves at the other end to match the flap angles. Also it wasn’t regular fabric used on the case— I’ll give you a hint at part of how I confirmed the material…. Look at photos of the bullet hole pack that’s been on display by Disney and pay attention to the markings on the rear/sides of the clearcoat failure.
5) I don’t have a name for it but I spent 4 months on the phone with every manufacturer I could identify from a visit to staples until I got the right company, then they found it in an old catalog because it was discontinued back in 2008. It took me several more months to find a box of originals because the manufacturer said they’d only remake them for me if I bought something like $12,000 worth! Also there’s a custom font scripted wording on the folder… let’s see if you can identify it :)

I have some photos I’ve never seen shared before but they were sent by close finheads that didn’t give me permission to share publicly :/. Here are some generals to help:
6DB511D5-C1D6-47D3-A99B-EE94A99C241B.jpeg
40F2DDEC-DD46-49F1-8F7A-D7399F6C5153.jpeg
5A5DF684-1067-41EB-952F-80B9B6D66B06.jpeg

I actually came across that video and saw the second case. I didn't know they had a display in the back in the 90's and when toy mentioned it I searched and found it! Too bad we didn't have thew cameras we have now then. Would have made this a lot easier.

Can we split the jetpack CASE posts onto a new thread? They are very useful and deserve their own thread. Admins please?
I’m a novice here but I did make a thread originally for my case build and the zinc metal arc spray rocketpack so folks can jump over to it instead if it’s easier and you’d like to know more, etc.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back