Rey's Gun TFA

It looks a little small in Han's hand which makes me think this could be Han's "hold out" / "back up" blaster

Indeed. I'm not sure that the handle is as large as on a Mauser even if the shape is the same. We'll see once I have an entire gun printed but the body scaled to a Mauser handle does seem rather large . (I suspect that HF has fairly large mits compared to me though.) Here's where I'm at right now. Still very much work-in-progress but it's coming along:

body_print.jpg rey_render01.JPG

to me the back of the blaster looks like a revolver with Mauser grips screwed on. The big round area in the middle could be for covering up the giant gap after removing the revolver cylinder assembly... food for thought maybe

Indeed. I'm not sure that the handle is as large as on a Mauser even if the shape is the same. We'll see once I have an entire gun printed but the body scaled to a Mauser handle does seem rather large . (I suspect that HF has fairly large mits compared to me though.) Here's where I'm at right now. Still very much work-in-progress but it's coming along:

View attachment 555201 View attachment 555202

Looking good, so far. Try scaling it to the post-War "Bolo" Mauser grips -- they're a little smaller than the pre-War/Wartime C96 grips. I gan get measurements off mine if you need such.

--Jonah

Looking good, so far. Try scaling it to the post-War "Bolo" Mauser grips -- they're a little smaller than the pre-War/Wartime C96 grips. I gan get measurements off mine if you need such.

--Jonah

The Bolo grips are quite different in shape though, aren't they? Rey's gun is definitely modeled after Solos regular blaster, but I'm thinking that they just used the shape of the grips without keeping to any size references. I'll do some more testing.

That main body--I really want it to be a found item. It has that vibe for me.

It looks like a hollow case with separate plates in front and back. Can't fathom what it could be, since it doesn't really look like anything practical. Serious respect to the prop-makers for capturing that old-school feeling though. In that same vein I'd bet on the lower barrel being a guidewheel from a 1/2" (or 1") tape deck, large-format video tape player or maybe even a film editing deck. The grip frame must be custom- nothing about it looks like it came from anything real. (The grips aren't exact to a Mauser either.)

The angle that the handle comes out from the rest of the gun is not the same as a Mauser at all, it's more obtuse. Something about the shape looks like her speeder bike too.

The Bolo grips are quite different in shape though, aren't they? Rey's gun is definitely modeled after Solos regular blaster, but I'm thinking that they just used the shape of the grips without keeping to any size references. I'll do some more testing.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my Bolo with the Denix I'm working on:

DSC00146_zps14e53d3c.jpg

DSC00148_zpsb58db91f.jpg

The difference is minor, and the bottom is less rounded (and yes, the grooves on my grip scales have been worn practically smooth), but the overall shape is the same. Was a thought...

--Jonah

The angle that the handle comes out from the rest of the gun is not the same as a Mauser at all, it's more obtuse. Something about the shape looks like her speeder bike too.

The first thing I thought was "aw she's got a mini version as her speeder for a gun"

my next thought was that it's an awkward handle angle....more like a flintlock pistol

Visited Disneyland for the first time in a long while. Obvious the star wars celebrations were a very important pit stop. I'd not seen Rey's Blaster before today but I want it really bad. Swung by here to see if anyone had made progress and here we are. I snapped a couple photos, I assumed there was more info than what appears available. Sorry I didn't get better photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20151117_183420.jpg
    IMG_20151117_183420.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 977
  • IMG_20151117_183428.jpg
    IMG_20151117_183428.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,867
  • IMG_20151117_183434.jpg
    IMG_20151117_183434.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 767
  • IMG_20151117_183444.jpg
    IMG_20151117_183444.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 680
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back