Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

okie... so I've sifted through everything (PMs as well as posts here on the thread) and I've categoirized everyone based on when they first asked to receive bandages.

here's the ordered list:

USAJDM 3/21/16 PM QTY:2
FETT4REAL 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
BRINSTAR 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
GALACTICAT 3/23/16 PM QTY:4
PRIMALSTORM 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
COSPLAYARCHER 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
PAPERSFLOWER 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
KELLIWISE 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
JJGRIFFIN 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
AKITZMAN 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
SINRIDER 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
DLARIANFERREL 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
S4FFRON 3/24/16 PM QTY:3
IGGY 3/24/16 PM QTY:2
JACKWABBIT 3/24/16 POST QTY:2
JULIETROSE 3/24/16 POST QTY:2

****CUT OFF POINT****

REDWILLOW 3/24/16 POST QTY:3
R2DEETOO 3/25/16 PM QTY:3
JON8712 3/25/16 PM QTY:3
GOLDHAWK 3/26/16 PM QTY:2
JJ9437 3/28/16 POST QTY:2

After Julietrose we are at 34 pieces, so i'm going to have to cut it off there, I'm afraid. Very sorry to those below that, but i tried to be as fair as i knew how, going in the order requests were made.

I do have a few other ideas. i'd posted a link to some others on ebay you might get, and also my contact said that she is happy to continue getting more...but you would need to pay her.

That's okay! I'd be happy to pay her for the bandages if she would be able to send them to me.

And thank you for all your hard work on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kristen! What have I told you about making me blush?! :$

Seriously though, thank you for this. As we talked about yesterday, we all have our roles in the cosplay community. I may not have the best costumes, the most cosplays, or a ton of followers, but I love building cosplay communities, encouraging new and discouraged cosplayers, and generally being a Thread Momma. ^_^

Update on my costume:
- Ordered headwrap fabric
- Ordered gloves
- Currently playing the wait game with the folks I had commissioned to help make my costume (as I am utterly terrible at sewing and prop making. But I make a very a good assistant) as alas, some unfortunate issues have occurred and I'm on the backburner. So no Rey for me anytime soon. :/ But more time to gather pieces, research, and plan an epic photoshoot. So I shall keep my chin up!

Please let me know what I can do to help get you back on track.
If it's something I can do, I'm more than willing to help.
Robert

Those of you who have finished your wraps, what did you do to the long ends? On the side where you split it, how did you finish it? I haven't sewn too much before this, so I have no idea what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

That's okay! I'd be happy to pay her for the bandages if she would be able to send them to me.

And thank you for all your hard work on this.

How much are they? I was thinking of this too.

I also am currently working on the wrap dress now. How many inches wide do I cut?

Other than that, I have the head wrap, tunic, and pants done. They just need to be dyed which Im terrified to do.
I ordered the pants from amazon and just modified them. Pictures soon to come. But for now heres my sewn head wrap.
IMG_1076.JPGIMG_1077.JPG

That looks amazing :) May I ask where you got the fabric for your head wrap?

I also am currently working on the wrap dress now. How many inches wide do I cut?

Other than that, I have the head wrap, tunic, and pants done. They just need to be dyed which Im terrified to do.
I ordered the pants from amazon and just modified them. Pictures soon to come. But for now heres my sewn head wrap.
View attachment 610885View attachment 610886

This weekend was the conventions and i dressed up as Rey for the first time.
My fabrics might not be autentic, It might not be the right colors, and most things are mostly just 70-80 correct but
I had a blast, Rey was very much liked of kids, and girls.
And in the cosplay competition i WON!! for best Scifi costume.!
I'm so happy and would not have been able to make the costume with out you all who have contributed to this thread. THANK YOU!!

Here are some pictures---
The goggles fogged up on me at first but then i found a spot were it did not fog up anymore.

Met several Reys and this was one of the best there..

My precious!!!!!!

Took a couple pictures with the 501st Nordic Garrison and this is how there Scavenger Rey looked like compared to mine... (mine on the left)

~sneaks in~~waves~

I've been reading this thread for a couple weeks now. I'm pretty good at fabric and leather (and the associated dyeing of said materials), but I am less good at all of the prop making and weathering that Rey has going on, and I really want to make at least a few of the accessory items. I found TheLadyNerd's drawing back in January and found my way here from there, and it's been a pretty great read.

I've been pretty sick for a while (which is how I read all 96 pages), but I'm finally on the up-and-up. Time and money are going to prevent me from being able to do a full scavenger Rey for a while, despite that I love the look, and I won't be able to get a staff kit (or the Po-Zu boots! ;_; ) for at least a few months. However! I'm finally sewing again and until I can do the full outfit I'm going to do my best to get the base outfit done by PAX East, and hopefully get the little blaster ordered and painted.

Now, I feel super guilty because by the time I discovered this thread it was already in the 80s, so there's not much left to contribute. Like I said, though, my specialty is cloth-working, so.

In the past few pages I've seen people asking about silk broadcloth and another silk from a not-Dharma site. I do think either could work, but I saw a faint nubbliness in the pants that will be absent from both weaves. It's not got the slubs and heft of raw silk, but it does have a sort of shallow texture to it. So far, an abused crepe de chine is the closest I've seen to Rey's pant fabric (http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/crepe-de-chine-16mm.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html). It's a little less shiny and a little more textured after it's been washed and dyed, and I plan to do a bit of angry ironing to it at the end which should decrease the "pretty" aspect of it a bit more. It's what I'll be ordering to try, so I'll report back with results.

I'm also still conflicted on the wrap fabric. The close ups of the display costumes, especially the ones that are most likely the screen used ones, do not show the kinkiness of the threads that a crinkle viscose has. I actually have yardages of different crinkle viscose, the viscose/silk blend, and a bit less of plain viscose that are either earmarked or already made into other projects, and the only weave that seemed to match at the thread-level was the plainweave viscose. I'm going to see what happens if I get the lightweight viscose from Dharma and temperature shock it to remove a bit of the smooth texture, and then do a tight crinkle-pleating.

My boots will be made from scratch, once my cork leather gets here. I couldn't find a wool tweed with the right texture and color (that I could afford, at least...) but I found a wool coating with a similar weave that's a bit light but I can overdye, and I think it'll work really nicely. I'm picking up some moldable interfacing and hopefully some thin memory-type foam so I can get at least the foot and shank portions finished, even if I can't get the heel or sole until my cork arrives.

Sorry for the bit of a ramble! The information here is intensely awesome, and a huge thank you to everyone! Hopefully I'll be able to find these threads earlier and contribute more from now on.

Ok everyone.
Alittle bit of bad news.
After many emails and a few phone calls, I thought I had reached the right person that could help us get a few cases of bandages here in the US.
Here is my latest email from a US Boots representative:

Thank you for taking the time to email Boots US!

Unfortunately, the Boots Cotton Crepe bandages is not available in the US at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any questions or would like to talk with us further about our product, please do not hesitate to contact us at 866 75 BOOTS.

Sincerely,

Djoye Mendy
Boots Customer Service Representative
www.us.boots.com
Phone #: 888-476-0035
Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM EST

Reference Number: 000005394A

I'm afraid I'm out of options.
Unless we could get someone in the UK to order a couple cases and ship them to one of us, I think we are SOL.
Im really sorry, but believe me, I tried.
I had even contacted their investment branch in hopes they would put pressure on them to please their customers.
-Robert

Hi, love your goggles Contect. Please could you tell me how you attached the light to goggles and the fixings to the light itself, this have been driving me mad, can't seem to get mine to work. Have been making the Rey costume for my daughter but everything has been a uphill struggle as can't get all the materials, etc. here in the UK :( Your advice would be so gratefully received.

Yes, thank you so much, TheLadyNerd!
I started reading this thread when it was *only* at 70 pages, and before I had gotten past page 10 I had a notebook with me so I could write down everything I thought would be useful without going back through the thread. This is the most helpful costume thread I have ever seen, and all of it due to TheLadyNerd.
So thank you for starting this indeed!!!!!

harmonyisarine, please let us know about the pants! Some of the closeup shots I've seen, the pants appear to be a little wrinkled, as though it is a light silk. I've never seen the costume in person, though, and I have a very limited knowledge of fabrics, so anything that you can find would be great! I'm also likely going to make my boots from scratch too, so I'm quite interested in seeing your build of those.

Hello again!

I'd like to show you my finished Rey costume! It's the first cosplay I've ever done, and I'm proud of it although it's not perfect and 100% screen accurate ;)
I couldn't afford Po-Zu boots and 3d printing, other things were not available in Poland, so I had to be creative ;)

Rey01.jpgRey03.jpgRey02.jpgRey-TFA_VD.jpg

- Fabrics - mostly viscose
- Arms wraps in photos above are temporary solution (will be replaced by cotton bandages)
- Old boots covered with wool tweed and leather
- Bag found in second-hand shop, remade
- Staff made from parts found in home improvement store (plastic pipe, phone cables, connectors etc.), covered with Plasti-dip.

Thank you, fellow Rey cosplayers, for sharing all the useful information in this thread! :)

I'm blushing majorly red from all you lovely folks! Thank you so much for making me feel so useful. :)

*NOTE* On the front page I'm updating as much as I can to have a Summary of what we've all thrown together for materials and yardage for Rey's costume. I hope it's helpful!

I'm loving all the new costumes. You all look SO fantastic! :D

usajdm - Thank you very much. My current problem is in the sewing. (I'm horrible at sewing, which is why I commission other people. Unfortunately, my commissioner is not able to do it at the moment, so I'm currently trying to find a solution.

Hi, love your goggles Contect. Please could you tell me how you attached the light to goggles and the fixings to the light itself, this have been driving me mad, can't seem to get mine to work. Have been making the Rey costume for my daughter but everything has been a uphill struggle as can't get all the materials, etc. here in the UK :( Your advice would be so gratefully received.

I attached the goggles to the mask by driving a screw thru the mask, On the inside there is a washer making the screw more secure.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back