Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Could someone point me to a tutorial (or make a picture tutorial) on how to make Reys Head wraps. I know its supposed to be made from a long sleeved shirt, but i have trouble understanding on how you wrap it around your head and still be able to look out from it.
I wanna make Reys costume, and because I'm a guy (with a beard) I would want that look that hides the face under the wraps and goggles. It's kinda odd to wanna make a "girl" costume, but it a really nice costume and not just feminine.

Not odd at all man =D I love genderbending female characters cause its so much fun. I'm also working on genderbending Rey myself. I wouldn't hide the beard to be honest, let the beard be out in all its majesty =D

I wanna make Reys costume, and because I'm a guy (with a beard) I would want that look that hides the face under the wraps and goggles. It's kinda odd to wanna make a "girl" costume, but it a really nice costume and not just feminine.

I'm excited to see it! I love seeing men doing female costumes. It doesn't happen nearly enough! Like other people have said, loads of women do male costumes (myself included!) but it's much more rare to see the reverse. My husband has done a gender-bent Harley Quinn and it's super popular. I can't wait to see your version of Rey. :)

Can anyone suggest a mini/ keychain flashlight to use for the goggles? I found a couple that look ok, but the size seems a little off. Someone had mentioned one from a dollar store, but i cant find the post now.

I posted this awhile ago. So I hope this helps.

View attachment 580513

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6pcs...ries-Operated-EB3566-lampada/32436553948.html

And for smaller effect, these earrings can work. Just press them in the battery to turn on.

View attachment 580514
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pa...tuds-Dance-Party-Accessories/32260259980.html[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone! (First time poster) I have read through this entire thread and it has been an amazing help and am on my way to completing this costume. I have two questions regarding the staff:
1. Around the middle of the staff we see it is wrapped with some cloth and leather, looks like 4 different things to me. Has it been determined what types of cloth are used there? Or are there any good photos that I may have missed that show that area in better detail?

2. I know the sling is two Enfield rifle slings attached together, but how exactly are they attached?

Any help would be extremely appreciated as I am stuck at this part. Thanks!

Fabric is Green, Rust Red cotton and medical gauze. (no leather)

Slings are butted end to end the stitched together (sloppy hand sewn) with a white or cream colored thread.
Same thread is used on the ends to hold on the Lobster clips.

I'm still working on that children internet sewing contest for CosPlay for next week for my 6 year old granddaughter. I made her body scarf with ties at the shoulders. She will have a Rey Inspired romper for everyday wear. Then you can add additional elements to the outfit to make the outfit closer to the real outfit that was worn by Rey..View attachment body scarf.jpg belt.jpg Here you can see that I made her a proportional Rey belt based on the discussion of the group. I sewed it out of 2 layers of leather vinyl, and then had to color the edges of the belt with a permanent marker to cover any white coloration from the fabric backing. I really like how it turned out. For the scarf I used a crinkle gauze in sand color and pleated the shoulder edge and sewed it onto a piece of the tie. After tying the scarf around the shoulder area of the romper the ties just hang down in the middle of the scarf and blend in.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see it! I love seeing men doing female costumes. It doesn't happen nearly enough! Like other people have said, loads of women do male costumes (myself included!) but it's much more rare to see the reverse. My husband has done a gender-bent Harley Quinn and it's super popular. I can't wait to see your version of Rey. :)

I've done several genderbent cosplays. Hawkeye, Max Rockatansky, Jason Nesmith (Galaxy Quest), and most of all Luke Skywalker...and my very male husband was Leia - beard and all - one year and it was so much fun!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still working on that children internet sewing contest for CosPlay for next week for my 6 year old granddaughter. I made her body scarf with ties at the shoulders. She will have a Rey Inspired romper for everyday wear. Then you can add additional elements to the outfit to make the outfit closer to the real outfit that was worn by Rey..View attachment 587149View attachment 587150 Here you can see that I made her a proportional Rey belt based on the discussion of the group. I sewed it out of 2 layers of leather vinyl, and then had to color the edges of the belt with a permanent marker to cover any white coloration from the fabric backing. I really like how it turned out. For the scarf I used a crinkle gauze in sand color and pleated the shoulder edge and sewed it onto a piece of the tie. After tying the scarf around the shoulder area of the romper the ties just hang down in the middle of the scarf and blend in.

Great idea on the romper!

I want to thank everyone's contributions to this thread; it has been SO helpful! I have all my fabric for Rey and started to sew the tunic this past weekend - all tips, images, and WIPs in this thread have been valuable resources.

Question: Has anyone here purchased THIS 3D model of Rey's staff? https://sellfy.com/p/f9NU/

I ask because I'd like to purchase it (only $10) because I have access to a 3D printer at my local library. The issue is, I'd like to know how much grams of plastic this print will require before I purchase the file.

The library charges $5 for the first 25 grams of a 3D print, with each gram after that 20 cents per gram. I'm wondering if anyone who has purchased this file (or who has printed a similar one) is able to provide an estimate of how many grams it takes to complete Rey's staff? I'm trying to estimate the total cost of buying this file and printing the staff at my local library.

Yes, I've tried to contact the seller (about a week ago) but I did not receive a response.

Thanks for reading!

I've done several genderbent cosplays. Hawkeye, Max Rockatansky, Jason Nesmith (Galaxy Quest), and most of all Luke Skywalker...and my very male husband was Leia - beard and all - one year and it was so much fun!

Awesome! I poked through your Cosplay.com pics - great costumes (Kate Bishop was probably my favourite - I love the dress!). :) I've done mostly gender-bent costumes (why do guys always have the cooler costumes?!?): Green Arrow (my first, and very bad - I'd like to redo it sometime!), Marty McFly, The Joker, Wolverine, Quicksilver (Days of Future Past), Sniper (Team Fortress 2), Star-Lord, Bilbo Baggins, Hawkeye, and Dark Helmet. And I'm working on Poe Dameron for this year.

I'd love to do some more female costumes eventually: Rey, Imperator Furiosa, Jessica Jones, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (from Deadpool) are all on my list!

Hey guys! I've recently found this thread and read through all of it. You guys have put so much work and thought into this and it is amazing to see! I recently just got my staff kit from JJ (thank you again!) and since everyone's look so awesome when done, I was wondering what everyone's methods of finishing the staff were. I know a few things were mentioned earlier but I can't find them again. I should have taken notes. I know the pieces need to be sanded a bit, but was there anything else anyone did before painting? Also, what glue did you use to attach them? I think I remember someone mentioning locktite?

Awesome! I poked through your Cosplay.com pics - great costumes (Kate Bishop was probably my favourite - I love the dress!). :) I've done mostly gender-bent costumes (why do guys always have the cooler costumes?!?): Green Arrow (my first, and very bad - I'd like to redo it sometime!), Marty McFly, The Joker, Wolverine, Quicksilver (Days of Future Past), Sniper (Team Fortress 2), Star-Lord, Bilbo Baggins, Hawkeye, and Dark Helmet. And I'm working on Poe Dameron for this year.

I'd love to do some more female costumes eventually: Rey, Imperator Furiosa, Jessica Jones, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (from Deadpool) are all on my list!

Thanks!

I recently tallied mine up (my cosplay gallery is a bit incomplete) and I've done five males, seven neutral (Jedi, Trek, etc - though I consider three of those male and one of those female in my head), and seven female. I guess that's about right for my gender identity most days. *grin*

As for that dress, I'm not a big dress person. Can't remember the last time I wore one in real life (no, about two years ago, when I had to go to court), but for cosplay? Sure! It's a weird form of crossdress for me, as I'd never wear one normally unless forced to in real life.

But moral of the story, I bought it for SIX BUCKS at the thrift shop. Had to put a corset back in it as it wouldn't zip on me because apparently the person who wore it before had no rib cage or something, but otherwise a dream. It's actually since been replaced, though, as I found a new one in a deeper purple (the old one looked almost maroon/was more plum in some lights) and it fit with no alterations at all.

It's here, in my favorite Hawkeye cosplay pic so far.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/jackwabbit/15358278/660940/660940_original.jpg

My hair was still wet from washing all the dirt out of it from Max (here, with several other genderbent types: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/jackwabbit/15358278/657875/657875_original.jpg ) that morning, but I figured that was a pretty Kate thing to do, so whatever. ;)

It's awesome that you're doing Poe. Rebel pilot is one of my dream costumes. Just haven't gotten there yet. Oh, and Days of Future Past Quicksilver is on my list, too. Easy and fun! And yes, guys always have the better costumes. Sigh.

I want to thank everyone's contributions to this thread; it has been SO helpful! I have all my fabric for Rey and started to sew the tunic this past weekend - all tips, images, and WIPs in this thread have been valuable resources.

Question: Has anyone here purchased THIS 3D model of Rey's staff? https://sellfy.com/p/f9NU/

I ask because I'd like to purchase it (only $10) because I have access to a 3D printer at my local library. The issue is, I'd like to know how much grams of plastic this print will require before I purchase the file.

The library charges $5 for the first 25 grams of a 3D print, with each gram after that 20 cents per gram. I'm wondering if anyone who has purchased this file (or who has printed a similar one) is able to provide an estimate of how many grams it takes to complete Rey's staff? I'm trying to estimate the total cost of buying this file and printing the staff at my local library.

Yes, I've tried to contact the seller (about a week ago) but I did not receive a response.

Thanks for reading!

Hi, I've purchased the file and just checked that the parts should weigh approx. 582 grams altogether. Hope that helps! I actually started printing them at my local library today (2 prints done in 5 hours, woohoo) - it's free of charge, which I'm happy about.

Last edited:
half size.jpgIMG_4115-2 smaller.pngIMG_4128 ecit smaller.pngIMG_4144 smaller.png

here are a few shots of my sister in her Rey costume I made for her. My photoshopping is a bit rusty so please dont mind it.

Last edited:
I modelled my own, but also bought that model to support the modeller. The model is pretty good, it isn't 100% accurate, but so close that only someone who had an image next to them and lots of time to compare would notice. The model is well worth the $10 asking price.

Budget around about 600gms to a kilo for the print. (rafts and supports come to quite a bit, and you are bound to have a failed print or two). Also, print the smallest part first and make sure it fits over the shaft of your choice, different printers and filaments have different shrinkage rates on parts. Just be aware it is well over 30 hours of printing all up.
So you would be looking at about $120 to print it at your library going on their rates.

Thanks for reading!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back