Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

So I just IDed the hero backpack as being the one at Cel 7.
Weathering is exact.

The hero head piece (with working light) and top / wrap dress was at D23 ( tattering matches her standing there looking at BB-8)

Quick question on the top of the staff. Are there three sets of double "blades" or four? I'm working on my 3D printed staff and I haven't seen a 360 degree shot of that piece. I'm guessing three but want to be sure.

blades.PNG

Anything will work but if you want screen accurate than you need 2 tan Enfield slings that are spliced together with a light tan or white thread.
The Enfield slings have the fat rounded edges.
It's also used to hold the side canister on the leather back pack.

edit.
I got mine on Amazon.

Last edited:
Has anyone checked out this staff file? I don't think it's been posted on here yet - found it via the Rey FB group.

https://sellfy.com/p/f9NU/

We have a printer, so we'll probably print it ourselves unless someone offers an affordable cast. Anyone who's studied the staff quite a bit - does this file look pretty accurate?

What do people mean by 'cotton gauze wrap' for the arm wraps? I was very displeased with Ace bandages. They didn't stay in place and I couldn't dye or paint them. Are people using something different? I saw someone with boxing wraps for their hands at the gym and thought that if it comes in more colors than hot pink it might work better and they are quite long. If someone has a specific brand or pic or link that would be awesome. Thanks.

Edit: This was a reply to Galacticat

I've been working on the staff as well and that looks a lot like the files I'm creating. I broke mine up a little differently than that artist did. I'm about 85% done with printing. I'll post some pics when I'm complete.

Ok so even though they say the spoilers embargo is over I am just going to put warnings on the pictures

so I found a really good photo of the vest and sleeves from the alternate costume
image.jpeg

using that I did a quick trace of the vest and a rough sketch of the shoulders. I hope that someone with more talent than me will use this to make a better sketch of the vest and share with all.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
I am guessing the shoulder will be 12 inches long and 6 inches wide and 1 inch between the middle of each arch.
Let me know what you think.

Argh, yeah, I noticed that. I actually sent them a message today asking if it would be possible to request one without text/markings on it. No response yet. Wondering if there's a good way to remove the markings if not...

I emailed them also and got no reply from them before they shipped it out. So going to see what i get.

So I just IDed the hero backpack as being the one at Cel 7.
Weathering is exact.

got a link to that cant find anything on the thread.

Edit : Sorry totally misread what you put, i take it the one was the Celebration was used in the film?

SIDE NOTE : Just got my belt bag ( is that what we are calling it now?) and those who are wondering about the lettering you can rub off the lettering on the top of the bag pretty easy give it some soap and elbow grease or throw it in the washing machine a couple of times will get both the lettering off, and the old smell which is now currently stinking my room out.

Last edited:
So my husband says the arm wraps at the end are not the same as earlier in the movie. He thinks they are the same type but made to match the new outfit since they are darker than earlier in the film. Thoughts?

Also, I looked at herringbone material online, and the design is pretty consistant the color varies so since we have the color available it shouldn't be too hard to make now once the lines are established.

SIDE NOTE : Just got my belt bag ( is that what we are calling it now?) and those who are wondering about the lettering you can rub off the lettering on the top of the bag pretty easy give it some soap and elbow grease or throw it in the washing machine a couple of times will get both the lettering off, and the old smell which is now currently stinking my room out.

Good to know! Guess I might go ahead and bite the bullet since I'm not seeing any cheaper ones pop up.

So my husband says the arm wraps at the end are not the same as earlier in the movie. He thinks they are the same type but made to match the new outfit since they are darker than earlier in the film. Thoughts?

I definitely thought they were new wraps, both times I saw it. Same style and texture, but much darker.

Good to know! Guess I might go ahead and bite the bullet since I'm not seeing any cheaper ones pop up.

Yeah i went and asked my local army surplus and even the place he gets them from have increased the price ( damn us eh lol ). Also get yourself a pair of gloves, old clothes and a respirator these things stink to high hell, i feel sorry for my seamstress when she starts doing the modification for me lol

What do people mean by 'cotton gauze wrap' for the arm wraps? I was very displeased with Ace bandages. They didn't stay in place and I couldn't dye or paint them. Are people using something different? I saw someone with boxing wraps for their hands at the gym and thought that if it comes in more colors than hot pink it might work better and they are quite long. If someone has a specific brand or pic or link that would be awesome. Thanks.

I have used both. Cotton gauze wrap is essentially medical wrap. Question, though...are you using the self adhering bandages and what are you anchoring them with? I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 40+ hours in Rey doing different things (parades, parties, photo shoots, dance floor) and the one thing I keep coming back full circle to in all of my iterations is that the arms wraps absolutely have to be secured over something and must be flexible. Mine stay put wonderfully now, and you can airbrush them with RIT dyes and watered down acrylics. They take the color quite well if you apply it in layers and sparingly, and that makes the weathering look fantastic. Mine were the nude color to begin with and now have a slight tinge, plus the edges have the correct look. To keep them in place, I used Adidas compression sleeves that they are tacked to and dyed the sleeves. If you've never heard of them, they're here. They won't go ANYWHERE. They won't twist, or slip down.

Example (but almost all sports stores have a bunch of brands): http://www.compressionsale.com/ther...m09SNqna8yX53vweOwVj0mUJiW6_OahnvYaAv0H8P8HAQ

Certainly try the cotton gauze if you're set on it, but from experience, I think you'll have a far harder time with the medical gauze. They both use compression to stay on your arm, but the gauze tended to slip more (even with Velcro anchors) and I'm REALLY glad I changed to the ACE method.

I'm in the process of putting a costume together for my wife, and had a question about the arm wraps. If we plan to use the compression sleeves, is it best to glue or permanently attach the wraps to the sleeve? Or do you just re-wrap the sleeves each time, and the compression sleeve helps it stay put? Thanks in advance!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back