Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

What impresses me the most is all the help you guys are sharing, I have been reading this thread and love the team around the world helping each other out.

Indeed! This is lived international understanding. Something that makes the cosplay even more interesting and appealing.

Really enjoying this thread. Thanks.....Jim

Me too, thankt you all!

Ah, and you enjoy the Wonderfest, kermet.

Hedi

Indeed! I started this thread because I saw the global Tomb Raider community swarm together to help out when the new reboot came out (I had started a personal build thread that took on a life of it's own and became the unofficial official 2013 Lara Croft costume online resource). I made a lot of costuming and real life friends through that. So I knew when I saw Rey that I wanted to start another thread like that, open to everyone to foster that same kind of community. It's warmed my heart and thrilled me to know end to see women, men, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, uncles, etc. all pitching in to make the magic happen. You all are awesome! <3

- Briana
aka Mother of BB8s (I mean...Mother of this thread, as so dubbed by kristenhenry70)

Finished the goggles yesterday. Didn't use the ST lenses, but i'm still happy with them. The lenses I used are actually green mirrored but look blue sometimes.

main.jpg g1.jpg g2.jpg g3.jpg

g4.jpg g5.jpg light1.jpg g6.jpg

light2.jpg

Finished the goggles yesterday. Didn't use the ST lenses, but i'm still happy with them. The lenses I used are actually green mirrored but look blue sometimes.

View attachment 596791 View attachment 596792 View attachment 596793 View attachment 596794

View attachment 596795 View attachment 596796 View attachment 596797 View attachment 596798

View attachment 596799

Looks fantastic! I'm not using trooper lenses either, so I'm glad to see the same quality can be achieved. Did the pattern shape you used in the previous post work out well? I saw you rounded out the inner eyes a bit.

Thx! That was an early template for the base but i re-made it because i wasnt happy with the shape. I ended up tracing out the goggles from that printed image to get it more rounded, then i scaled it to my GF's face and cut the foam from it. Later i made another template for the leather, overlaying it onto the lenses so the eyes didnt get cut out larger than the lenses. Finally after it was glued on over the lenses i expanded the holes and shaped them more using a razor knife.

I think The last pic more accurately shows the eye shape, in other pics they look a little distorted and too tall because of the curve of the base foam. When i flatten them out it looks pretty close to that printed out pic with the light on.

Attachments

• 12439381_10208226775563407_9005520687235765594_n.jpg
    12439381_10208226775563407_9005520687235765594_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
looking good! that 2nd pair without the seam between the eyes and the different clips looks even better. Did you use wood to extend the toggle wings or something else?

Yes... i used your idea of the wood extension, and instead used some of the brass sheet I had left over from making the shock cord crimps to extend the toggle bolts.

so I owe you one on that... between telling me about the 1/4" toggle bolts and the extension of them, you helped me improve.

i tried making a set of the clamps out of apoxie sculpt too... those are still curing.

Wonderful work on the goggles, Your GF is a very lucky.
How and what did you use to make the light holder... It looks like a Acorn nut between the "hinge" part.

it's made up of parts from a "helping hand" with a button head screw and nut holding it together in place of the wing nut and thumb screw which comes with the helping hand.

Incidentally, Redwillow has done it in a way that is much easier than I did. I had bought the button head screw and when I got it home it was slightly too big for the helping hand hardware, so I used a tap and threaded the helping hand arms so that I didn't need a nut on the bottom. BUT... that made assembly very tricky, and over all it makes far more sense to do what they did and get a longer one and use a nut. I'll be doing that on my next pair.

Last edited:
I'm currently looking around for the strap on the staff. Based on past post, its the Enfield or Brent sling straps. Where are some places that some of you ordered from? I want to make sure I have the right kind and length. I can always dye/paint the strap.

I am slowly collecting everything and can't wait to start Rey.

it's made up of parts from a "helping hand" with a button head screw and nut holding it together in place of the wing nut and thumb screw which comes with the helping hand.

Incidentally, Redwillow has done it in a way that is much easier than I did. I had bought the button head screw and when I got it home it was slightly too big for the helping hand hardware, so I used a tap and threaded the helping hand arms so that I didn't need a nut on the bottom. BUT... that made assembly very tricky, and over all it makes far more sense to do what they did and get a longer one and use a nut. I'll be doing that on my next pair.

yeah, it took me some time to figure out how to exactly make this fit together. I used (2) 6-32 machine screws. 1 holds the 2 halves together with a lock nut on the bottom, so it won't come loose, and 1 connects to the goggles with a "cap nut" (acorn) on the helping hand end. Then i used a chunk of small aluminum tube as a spacer between the cap nut and the washer on the goggles.

I recently saw some Stormtrooper masks on Amazon for pretty cheap. I ordered one to see if they are close to correct in size. I will report back once I receive it. I figure if the lenses aren't dark enough, I know how to tint them if need be.

I'm currently looking around for the strap on the staff. Based on past post, its the Enfield or Brent sling straps. Where are some places that some of you ordered from? I want to make sure I have the right kind and length. I can always dye/paint the strap.

Got mine on Amazon but they came from IMA.
Make sure to get tan.
You will need 2 of them.

I bought mine on eBay. You'll want the Enfield sling, and you'll want TWO of them. The screen used one was two enfield slings with the hardware cut off the ends and then butted together and hasty-stitched with khaki thread.

**EDIT*** Basically, exactly what Division6 said... he beat me to it LOL

Hi guys and gals!

This is my first post on here, but I've been reading this thread avidly since watching the movie!

Here's my work in progress, I'm still working on arm wraps and trousers (these are just some cargo pants for the sake of the photo)
Top (cotton/hemp jersey) dyed with small amounts of Dylon beige and grey, weathered with watered down dyes in a spray bottle. (Tumble dye charcoal is great but definitely water it down and try on a scrap bit of cloth, because it looks black!)
Leatherwork was left plain veg tan, I tried to stay away from dyes, as it looks like the movie leather has darkened through use and age. I made the leather look old by oiling it and weathering the edges with soot and sand, I do this a lot with medieval re-enactment for the 'lived-in' look.
The pouch isn't an actual signal bag, but I made my own with linen canvas and webbing, copying the dimensions and stitching, and adding the Alice clip and brass bits. It was weathered with boot polish, which seems to give a machine oil look.
Boots are Po Zu. A friend of mine is 3D printing the staff parts, but the Enfield strap and fabric strips are all ready to go!

Hoping to make the extra parts for the head wrap, gloves, goggles backpack etc.. soon, but will probably submit the 'basic' form of the costume to Rebel Legion UK first.
Thanks for all the effort people have put into this thread, it's great to see how you guys help each other!

Becka x
rey1.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back