Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I found a pet laser/flashlight combo that you could tweak to make work for the goggle light:

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 7.20.46 AM.png

http://www.ethicalpet.com/product/spot-pet-laser-original-2-in-1-pet-toy/

I had a chance one the weekend to go to LA's FIDM museum where they had a few costumes from TFA. So here's some pictures!
View attachment 594678View attachment 594679View attachment 594677View attachment 594675View attachment 594676

This display marks the return of the "sports mesh" on the goggles. It can be clearly seen in the photo of the goggles. I still can't say 100% that it was on the hero pair, but why would they use it for all of these other displays if it wasn't on the hero pair?

don't know what to think about these display costumes. I do see the mesh and am also starting to believe it's there on the movie version. But these are missing the fender washer between the clips for the light bracket that can clearly be seen on the goggles used in the movie.

Do not trust the displays. They are reproductions of the actual production-used costumes. They were never intended to be 100% screen accurate, just "close enough" and easy enough to be widely produced for promotions and marketing.

If you are going for screen accuracy, the ones on display at Celebration and D23, and versions you actually see on screen in the film, are your best bets.

these are missing the fender washer between the clips for the light bracket that can clearly be seen on the goggles used in the movie.

I think that's because the hero goggles had a working light, and the washer was to keep it sitting straight, whereas this is a cast stunt light, and doesn't need it.

- - - Updated - - -

I went for the eBay Rey gloves from Singapore:

12744645_10208194725482175_4962585345702969480_n.jpg
12729045_10208194682841109_1180454145894778634_n.jpg

overall, they aren't bad for $20.00. They are too dark, but a spot of paint will remedy that. The only details missing that I can see is that there should be a dark brown or black piping along the opening (which i could add) and they seem to be missing the fabric patch on the thumb fronts. (I can add that too).

the main benefit to these is that they are longer (like the D23 gloves) and aren't as bulky as the Petzls (someone can have my pair if they want them).

Will this do?

View attachment 549172

2 pieces of leather glued back to back so it has a smooth surface and 2 different textures.

Sorry, being a little thick there. Where do you glue these together? Are you just overlapping the two pieces and gluing the rough sides together? I'm also not clear about the exact looping on this. I saw a picture later in this thread and I don't see how we're getting from this diagram to there.

Thanks!

mark

The fabrics list is on the first page. Most of it can be had from Dharma Trading.

Some of us have gathered fabrics we liked from different sources... so i guess I could just tell you what I got:

Cotton/Hemp Jersey Knit from Dharma Trading for the Tunic (I also used scraps of this for my Arm Wraps) bought 6 yd. Had plenty left over
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...52-inch.html?lnav=fabric.html&hc_location=ufi

Hand Woven Fabric from Dharma Trading for the Head Wrap bought 6yd. Had almost none left over o_O
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html

Crinkle Viscose from Ebay for the Wrap Dress. bought 4 meters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRINKLE-VISCOSE-WHITE-DRESS-FABRIC-FREE-P-P-/141904622207?

Self tie Pallazzo Pants from Forever 21 for the pants (modified the legs)

Po-Zu Piper IV Brown boots (Screen Accurate) Make sure to remove the green Po-Zu tags on the sides!

British M37 Signals Satchel (cut down to be screen accurate) for the belt pouch

Top Grain Belt Leather for the belt...custom made

Leather wrist Cuff purchased for someone on Facebook. Can't recall whom

Green acrylic Bubble Storm Trooper Lenses from eBay for the goggles

Vaccum Formed TK Faceplate from Cuck Ruffing of Ruffkintoy for the base of the goggles

Rey 3D Printed Staff Kit from JJGriffin
http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=93940

Wool Army Blanket in grey for goggles

White Pigskin leather from Tandy leather for the face of the goggles and for the staff sling attachment straps.

im sure there is alot more, but that's a good start.

For reference, here are a couple of pics of my progress:

View attachment 592373
View attachment 592374
NOTE: The Head Wrap fabric in this pic had been dyed a colour I didn't like. I have since overdyed it with RIT Taupe

I should also note that the wrap dress shown is NOT the Crinkle Viscose i linked to above. That fabric has yet to arrive. The wrap dress pictured is made of crepe cotton. Not bad... but not right. :-/

Fantastic list. Thanks!

I'm doing this for my daughter for the Summer shows. Quick question on the wrap. I'm worried about getting fabric from the UK in time for WonderCon. Do you think this would be an appropriate replacement once properly dyed?

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ej-429/i...te?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

Mark

No, honestly I don't think it would be a good solution because it's cotton. I tried the cotton as well, and it doesn't have the right heft and so doesn't flow right.

I'm not trying to be mean... it's just I have made this wrap dress three times now because I too wanted to find the easy solution. The stuff that Mira Darkstar and I have bought is *the* right stuff...you won't be disappointed.

Wonder Con is at the end of March, right? I bought my fabric from that seller in the UK on Feb. 10th, and I had it in my hands by Feb. 20th.

My advice would be to pull the trigger on the UK stuff...you won't be disappointed. Once you have it dyed, you'll be glad you bought it. Everything will lay, gather and flow right.

Sorry, being a little thick there. Where do you glue these together? Are you just overlapping the two pieces and gluing the rough sides together? I'm also not clear about the exact looping on this. I saw a picture later in this thread and I don't see how we're getting from this diagram to there.

Thanks!

mark

I think I posted another diagram in the thread somewhere.

Take 2 pieces the same size.
On the back side (rough unfinished side) add contact cement (on both pieces)
Once set lay one piece on top of the other back to back.
Press and let cure (use heavy books or something on top)
Once cured trace pattern on leather then cut.

For wrapping around wrist.
Wrap around the wrist, taking the narrow end go into the first slot and out the second on the big end.
Reverse direction and go around backwards weaving through the remaining slots.

It's actually really easy.

Last edited:
Fantastic list. Thanks!

I'm doing this for my daughter for the Summer shows. Quick question on the wrap. I'm worried about getting fabric from the UK in time for WonderCon. Do you think this would be an appropriate replacement once properly dyed?

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ej-429/i...te?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

Mark

I just ordered the wrap dress fabric Kristen recommended on Ebay yesterday and it shipped out today. :) It says estimated arrival March 3-9th.

Also, YAY PROGRESS!! I've moved forward on something guys! :p

Anyone know what the part that holds the cord on the goggles together after it goes through the clips looks like? In every pic it's covered by the head wrap.

I think that's because the hero goggles had a working light, and the washer was to keep it sitting straight, whereas this is a cast stunt light, and doesn't need it.

- - - Updated - - -

I went for the eBay Rey gloves from Singapore:

View attachment 595220
View attachment 595221

overall, they aren't bad for $20.00. They are too dark, but a spot of paint will remedy that. The only details missing that I can see is that there should be a dark brown or black piping along the opening (which i could add) and they seem to be missing the fabric patch on the thumb fronts. (I can add that too).

the main benefit to these is that they are longer (like the D23 gloves) and aren't as bulky as the Petzls (someone can have my pair if they want them).

Do the gloves run true to the sizes they have listed?

Last edited:
Anyone else nervously waiting for the Po-Zu boots to be available again?

Do the gloves run true to the sizes they have listed?

They do run a lil big. I ordered the Medium but it was a bit big on me. I was going to take it in but that means I would have to re-sew the entire thing. I just ordered the small and it should fit fine. Loving the fact that they are only $20. If you feel the medium would fit you then you can have mine.

Last edited:
Anyone else nervously waiting for the Po-Zu boots to be available again?

I managed to order mine a month or so ago, right before they realized their stock didn't match up with the website availability. But they just shipped mine today which means they are catching up. So I figure they will probably be back in stock sometime soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back