Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I'm probably going to make a few pairs seeing as I have lots of extra materials. They are time consuming, so they probably won't be super cheap. Not sure what you are looking to pay? @kristenhenry70 are you going to sell any of the extra pairs you are making?

Is anyone selling the extra pairs they've made?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm mulling it over. i really dislike doing commissions....it's something about doing work for hire that sucks the fun out of it. LOL.

But I have agreed to make one other pair for a member here...and I suppose I'd be open to others. I guess people can PM me if they're interested.

the main thing that is going to hold me up just now is I'm trying to find a good (fairly cheap) source for TK faceplates. i know others don't use them, but it's what gave mine the distinctive look that they have, so i want to continue to do that. Also getting the lenses can be hit or miss.

I should find out next saturday if I'll have some TK faceplates. If I do get some i will order lenses for them, and can make the googles if people are interested. They would come complete with the light, just as mine are pictured.

Here's a Ideal just make a plug of the lens then vac form it then get that spray that tents the car head lights I think its called black out effect which is see through. There you go instant lenses one rite after another. ...Love this thread......Thanks....Jim Oh use clear polycarb plastic works Great.

Last edited:
Here's a Ideal just make a plug of the lens then vac form it then get that spray that tents the car head lights I think its called black out effect which is see through. There you go instant lenses one rite after another. ...Love this thread......Thanks....Jim Oh use clear polycarb plastic works Great.
The bubble lenses are green...not black

Oh well you can get green clear plastic should find it on Ebay. Thanks....Jim if I'm rite I think they make that spray in diff. colors transparent spray

The lens is really dark they kinda looked black so these lenses in the storm trooper helmet are green never noticed, But this is a good diff. for vac formed lenses and it wouldn't be to hard I am building a vac table here soon I could see what I could do for a cheeper way to have your lens and you can keep your storm trooper helmet for your collection LOL . Thanks.....Jim

Ok, sometimes life is funny.

The first time I was wondering what to use as a housing for the head lamp, those old fashioned tablet tubes came into my mind. But I abandoned this idea, because I assumed that those aluminium tubes are not on the marked any more.

Now, the last few days it happens to be that I am dealing with a sore throat. Which is a rarity with me. Today I went to a drug store to buy some lozenges for pain relief. And I was a little bit surprised because, I actually found these tablets in an aluminium tube.

I added two coins (1€ Cent and 1US Cent) to show the size of the tube:
Alu 2.jpgAlu 1.jpgAlu.jpg

As it comes with a suitable diameter and as I really like its light weight I would like to redesign it into the lamp housing.

To shorten the aluminium tube should be easy enough.

Any ideas how to remove the varnish? Or shall I just overpaint it?

Ok, sometimes life is funny.

Any ideas how to remove the varnish? Or shall I just overpaint it?

Acetone or nail polish remover, which is essentially Acetone, should work. Very caustic, use outdoors or in a well ventilated area and latex gloves, though it'll still mess up latex eventually, just be careful with it. If you're going to paint it anyway, you might just want to do that straight away. Though you may have trouble if the top printing layer is raised above the background. It might show through a paint application you try to cover it with.

MatterMaker.

Acetone or nail polish remover, which is essentially Acetone, should work. Very caustic, use outdoors or in a well ventilated area and latex gloves, though it'll still mess up latex eventually, just be careful with it. If you're going to paint it anyway, you might just want to do that straight away. Though you may have trouble if the top printing layer is raised above the background. It might show through a paint application you try to cover it with.

MatterMaker.

Ah, thank you!

Yes, that might work. I remember spilled Acetone buring its way through the paint surface of a kitchen counter.

Ah, thank you!

Yes, that might work. I remember spilled Acetone buring its way through the paint surface of a kitchen counter.

I used nail polish remover to remove the logo from a pair of sunglasses for a costume. It worked great and was super fast!

Before/after (the logo is at the top on the plastic piece - I've never tried it on aluminium before).
Glasses Before and After.jpg

Any ideas how to remove the varnish? Or shall I just overpaint it
i would hit it with a medium grit sandpaper to scuff it up then repaint it. It is supposed to have a fair amount of petina on it and not look like bright aluminum. I normally do spray primer then acrylic paints then matte clear ( testors dullcote or an equivalent) to seal it. Using the acrylic paint allows adjustment of the colors to just how i want them, then the clear keeps the paint from coming off. That's the process i used for the clips and light on mine.

i would hit it with a medium grit sandpaper to scuff it up then repaint it. It is supposed to have a fair amount of petina on it and not look like bright aluminum. I normally do spray primer then acrylic paints then matte clear ( testors dullcote or an equivalent) to seal it. Using the acrylic paint allows adjustment of the colors to just how i want them, then the clear keeps the paint from coming off. That's the process i used for the clips and light on mine.

Wow, thank you for this detailed discription.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back