Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hi everyone! I'm new to the RPF and am starting to build a Rey costume :) I'm a little nervous as I haven't built a costume in a few years now, and most of the resources I came to know and depend on are all US based (I'm now living in Ireland). Still, I'm really excited to be here and get started!

Today I spoke to the local 3D printer, and we were discussing what types of materials they had available would best take paints, etc, for what I'd be looking to do. They offer a plastic material that gives a sort of wood effect, and the result is a more rough, kind of granular texture on the surface. The person I spoke to said that they had a different type that printed smoothly but would take paint well, but that this one would as well, and I wondered if that texture might better lend itself to the overall end-product I'd be trying to achieve.

I plan to get a small piece of that material, something scrap that I can get at low cost, and prime, paint, etc, to see what it would look like. I wanted to put the idea 'out there' to you all first, though, as this will be my first really attempt at doing anything with props (I've always been one to deal with the 'soft' parts, as I'd call them, and then commission the 'hard' parts). Either way I'll post up the result of my experiment!

Another thing I wanted to ask about (first post and I'm all questions, I know): for the rifle slings that make up the bulk of the 'strap' for Rey's staff, I'm looking at a few options and I've seen a couple that have different metal ends on them. There's this one from Silvermans (which, looking through the thread, many of you know for having the particular side satchel) that has an end that looks like this:

silvermans_end.jpg

But then there's one I found on ebay Ireland with an end like this:

ebay_end.jpg

The difference being not the fasteners (that's more what end is facing the 'camera') but in the whole piece, the way there's a fold to it. It may be that the former is from '37 and the latter is a reproduction meant to emulate a '44 rifle sling. Either way, before I spend the money I thought I'd ask if anyone knows which one is more accurate. I went through the thread looking again looking at what was posted and did another internet search but couldn't seem to find anything, and I'm not sure if it will ultimately be an issue anyway? The former will be more expensive as it will be paying a little more for shipping from the UK to ROI, but the Silvermans is non-dated, hence why I'm willing to pay the extra quid.

Now that I've asked for a bunch of things in my first post I'll stop there... :$

.........my gf is doing a write up on her blog about the costume and has a pic here

http://emeraldb.com/2016/01/12/star-wars-rey-costume-part-1-wrap-dress/

showing the original fabric color against the final color with the test pieces we did in the pearl grey dye.

Thanks! Looks great and is helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I've made a bracer and belt, using the patterns here.

Had to remake the bracer, but the second draft looks like it'll work. The first was too small. I forget I'm bigger than the average lady, so to speak.

As for the belt, it came out, too, but be careful on the lower belt part. Mine is too short. It'll work, since the bag covers a good bit of it, but be forewarned - remember that the angled cut of it means it has to travel a longer distance, and it has to go across the butt, so even more distance to cover. Just something to keep in mind if one tends to forget such things, like me at times. ;)

Well i official feel sorry for any future screen accurate prop makers. That Signal Satchel, so many people have been buying them in the UK that the Silvermans Sells upped his price to £49.99.

Holy crap! Super glad I went ahead and bought mine a few days ago, after the last price increase (which wasn't nearly as bad). Yikes. I'd keep an eye on them, though - maybe the price will go back down. They were already expensive, so $100+ (after shipping to the US) will likely result in lost sales.

If anyone finds a green one for cheap, bleaching it and redyeing it might be a good option...

Well i officially feel sorry for any future screen accurate prop makers. That Signal Satchel, so many people have been buying them in the UK, that the Silvermans Seller upped his price to £49.99.

Link for those who wish to cry over it while they buy it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...379631?hash=item5d5ebca42f:g:IdoAAOSw5VFWN4pu

Is this the same one? It's not British, but might be good for some folks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-Mil...681581?hash=item43e7ea01ad:g:ccoAAOSwGotWjDPG

Aye i think Endicotts will be getting a lot more service if they keep the price as it is, the Silvermans place is cashing in and already spoiled it for himself with the price.

Did you all see the big Hasbro "next wave of merch" dump? I wonder if this Nerf blaster might be worth a repaint for a "good enough" costume prop...?

View attachment 576903

Oh i will be getting one of those defiantly, might have to make a holster for it that she has in the end scenes, unless its just between her and the belt?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back