Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Here are some shots of the Worbla holster, pre-paint.

View attachment holster.jpeg IMG_0074.JPGIMG_0075.JPGIMG_0076.JPGIMG_0077.JPG

Nice job! Ive never used worbla but keep hearing about it. Does the blaster stay in it ok? When i did mine i was paranoid about it being too loose, so i wrapped and glued the leather extra tight around it.

Today i got the hardware for the thigh strap and dyed mine. It still needs to have a finish put on it and the strap needs to be sized to my GF's leg, but it is getting close to being done. So more pics coming soon.

Last edited:
Nice job! Ive never used worbla but keep hearing about it. Does the blaster stay in it ok? When i did mine i was paranoid about it being too loose, so i wrapped and glued the leather extra tight around it.

Today i got the hardware for the thigh strap and dyed mine. It still needs to have a finish put on it and the strap needs to be sized to my GF's leg, but it is getting close to being done. So more pics coming soon.

Yep, the blaster stayed pretty snug in there. The strap on the bottom gave it a lot of support.

Thank you, the holster is made from 1 piece of leather, folded down onto itself so the inside and outside are smooth. I just cut 2 slots in the back to run the thigh strap through and left an opening at the top where it folds for the belt.

I believe it 100%. :)

Here's something I found watching Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey.
This seems to confirm that the shirt has a collar, and I think there's a seam horizontally along the back, from shoulder to shoulder. Not that it matters a ton, since it's covered by the vest, but it's interesting to see. You can also see that it has almost a cap sleeve, instead of being more of a tank style.

View attachment 612655View attachment 612656

I'm now thinking that instead of a lining in the vest, the white/cream/light gray we see in the vest around the collar is actually the collar of the shirt.
Consider:
(please excuse the awkwardness of this first screen shot!)
Snapshot-2016-04-09 at 09_44_58 PM-183119979.jpg

Snapshot-2016-04-09 at 09_45_21 PM-1573338257.jpgSnapshot-2016-04-09 at 09_45_17 PM-5332312.jpgSnapshot-2016-04-09 at 09_45_13 PM-353420902.jpg

This might explain why you can see it sometimes but not others, as in this image:
Snapshot-2016-04-09 at 02_31_25 AM-475483181.jpg

What does everyone think?

I always thought there was no lining in that vest. It lays weird for being lined.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting all the pics everyone.

Does it look like the shirt has blanket-stitching around the edge? What is the stitch along the edge of the vest? Looking at the collar up close, it is not a basic blanket stitch because the thread is split into V shapes.

Also, the Po-zu boots are available again.

couple more pics to show the final thigh strap hardware.
It's a 3/4" rectangle ring, 2- small rivets to attach one end through the ring & 1- extra small stud to attach the other end of the strap through the ring. The hardware can be seen in the movie for a couple seconds when Rey is walking up the hill.

holster4.jpg rey-costume-holster.jpg holster6.jpg holster7.jpg

the size can be adjusted by either re-positioning the stud or adding more holes on the front.

Last edited:
I envy you guys so much right now. You all have access to the blu-ray/dvd already. I still have to wait till the 28th for it to be released in Europe. :(

But you've already aquired so much amazing reference that I'll be able to go fabric hunting on the fabric market next sunday. :)

Still working on my version of this cosplay, I was able to commission someone to make the vest for me in a male size. I'm working out finding pants to alter i'm making the gauntlets, the whole belt and holster situation, the bag and staff situation are also gonna have to be figured out, luckily I have you wonderful people that have trudged along the unknown frontier of making this cosplay! Luckily I my birthday was last week so I got all the components for a well made ligthsaber. Waiting is the hard part, since I'm still neck deep in school!

If anyone is still looking for pattern help for the vest, I'm about to try and use Butterick B4669 and New Look 6251 as bases for my second attempt at the vest. wish me luck!!
that 6251 is the pattern I have purchased, so please let us know what you're able to do with that one. I don't have fabric, but I plan on making a mock up from junk fabric first anyway.

[the whole belt and holster situation
those 2 shouldn't be much of a situation. I bought a 1/2 shoulder of leather and made (2) belts, (2) bracers and the holster from it. Cost at Tandy Leather was $30. The belt pattern is over in the other Rey costume thread.

I'm finalizing the pattern for the holster and I will have complete instructions up showing how to make it in the next week or so. If you follow the instructions and take your time, it should be pretty easy to make.

I'll definitely look into doing that for the belt and holster, the staff, bag and shoes are going to be the most work. Not many men's shoes are similar to Rey's though I could do what I did with my Korra cosplay and just buy women's shoes in a large size. I'm going to make the staff myself out of hardware parts. Where did you buy the leather? that's been the most puzzling for me

you may want to check out this article on my GF's blog about how I made the staff with PVC parts:
DIY Rey Costume Staff Prop

....also there are a couple links on the Boots article over there to some DIY builds you can check.

Cost at Tandy Leather was $30
they will have the hardware and dye you will need for doing the holster & belt there too.

Last edited:
So have we confirmed that there is no seam running vertically down the front of the vest? Does the front panel just go from the opening to the seam that goes under the arm?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back