Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by mithryanna, Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mithryanna

mithryanna New Member

I'm interested in creating Rey's grey outfit from the end of the film. Everyone seems to be very focused on her 'classic'/desert garb and I don't see much talk about the end of film alternate yet.

Actually, I'm finding it difficult to get refs at this stage in the game because the film is still so new. If anyone could help out in that department it would be much appreciated! All I've been able to dig up so far is this shot of the action figure, which makes the outfit look tan even though I swear in the film it is grey!
    Rey-ActionFigure.jpg

If anyone wants to discuss patterns for the vest after we get some better refs that would be great. I'll be satisfied with generic snug capris for the bottoms but I'd like to get the seaming right on the vest. It seems like I can salvage info about the boots and bag from the other threads about classic/desert Rey.

2. mithryanna

mithryanna New Member

I did find some relevant posts in the big Rey Build thread about the grey outfit. They're pretty well buried so I'm going to go ahead and link to them for anyone who may be interested.

Light discussion/desc: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&page=46&p=3846615&viewfull=1#post3846615
    Same action figure pic as what I found, plus movie screenshot (only head and shoulders): http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&p=3846618&viewfull=1#post3846618
    Discussion of vest materials: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&p=3847298&viewfull=1#post3847298 (see also #1142 and #1143 following it)
    Info on the shoes, which are the same from the 'standard' movie outfit: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&p=3848844&viewfull=1#post3848844
    More discussion of vest materials: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&p=3849635&viewfull=1#post3849635

There's not a ton of new info in there, but there is a good ref shot in this post: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&page=47&p=3849873&viewfull=1#post3849873

HTH! Guess we'll just be waiting a while for good screenshots to leak.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  3. DlarianFerrel

DlarianFerrel Active Member

I plan on making both so I'm glad to see this thread pop up.

Timelord Rey likes this.
  4. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Saw The movie today for the 4th time and I decided I want to Crossplay Rey She is Epic I feel Her outfit at the end might be easier to create. I have been brain storming how to do her original one as a male. I just got a Sith robe for myself for Christmas and in 2016 i was planing on making a tusken sith now i might focus on Rey! Well Thanks for all the info tough part i feel is not much of what works for you all will work for men so i feel i might have to really put some work into finding options. You all have done some amazing work on the shoes i wish they had those in mens :) I have been reading the other thread for days now and tonight found this one cant wait to see all your hard work :) Wishing you all a Happy Holidays :) I will try to take a screen shot when she is in the new outfit on Christmas when i go again :) Dan

5. KillerofSaints

KillerofSaints Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Its cool to go for the less popular choice in my opinion

6. squelchbaker

squelchbaker New Member

sa maker and Timelord Rey like this.
  7. Zypher

Zypher Member

I've seen the film 5 times already, and so each consecutive time I looked at her hair and her outfits etc.

The good news is that the boots, staff and arm wraps are the same. Bad news is her clothing is totally different. The bracers look like grey wool to me but I'm not an expert. The shirt is cut much lower than the one in the rest of the film. The capris are short and have a slit on the outer edge about 3" long I would guess.

The boots are Po-Zu Piper in I think dark brown.

The pouch is a British WW2 signal satchel if I recall correctly, but I can't recall any additional details. They're mostly only available in the UK so you'd probably need to order from there. However I watched closely and I didn't see her with the pouch at the end so I am not certain it's with her new outfit.

She has a dark brown leather holster that seems to attach to the belt. It only looks like one leg wrap but I'm going to look closer next time I go.

She has the blaster from Han in said holster.

And of course she has Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber which may or may not actually become hers in Ep VIII. So I am going to hold off on that until we get some trailers. In fact, her costume at the end of this film may not even be in the next one. But we only have to wait a year and a half to find out, right? :p

Timelord Rey likes this.
  8. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i too really liked her "good bye" outfit. though it looked more grey on screen then brown or tan

Timelord Rey likes this.
  9. squelchbaker

squelchbaker New Member

Also the shirt is a wrap-front, you can see it briefly in the scene where she's talking to unconscious Finn - it's a right-over-left wrap.

And I would say that the vest and bracers are almost certainly wool - the texture is unlikely to be anything else unless it's a wool-linen or wool-poly blend.

10. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Reyvest.jpg
    ReyShoulders1.jpg
    Grey For sure and looks very much Wool or a Felt

11. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

the Sleeves seem to go all the way to the hands and are wool also kind of a elbow crease also when she is walking up the hill i did not see any bracers on in the final scene going back on Christmas will try to get a better look and stuff. Great Catch on the Shirt that is the only time you see it open up is when she is with Finn so it does kind have a wrap kinda of style to it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  12. Zypher

Zypher Member

I guess I was just calling the sleeves bracers since they only cover that wrist to elbow area. Not really sure of the technical term.

Timelord Rey likes this.
  13. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Trust Me Zypher you know way more than i do. I am 100% new to this swimming pool and at times feel i am swimming in the deep end already. I want to find photos and stuff went shopping today kept looking in every book and magazine i could find nothing of her Resistance Outfit so need to wait a bit i am seeing the movie again On Christmas so i will pay attention again :) Merry Christmas to you all :)

14. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could not NOT stare at the vest in the theatre. I have only posted in the review thread: The material is somewhat coarsely woven. It reminded me of the Elvencloaks in Lord of the Rings movies... The yarn is not a uniform grey but lighter here and there. (The spots being on the yarn, not the fabric).
    I noticed also that the edges are not hemmed, but serged (if that is the correct word if you do it by hand...)

Timelord Rey likes this.
  15. wingedbear

wingedbear New Member

Does anyone know if the alternate outfit boots are the Po-zu Piper V Dark Brown or Piper V Dark Grey? I know her main outfit boots are Dark Brown, but I've had a hell of a time finding a clear shot of her alternate outfit boot coloring. I watched the movie again today and I feel like they might be the Dark Grey version, but this was before I did my research and knew what to look for.

16. rchriswilliams

rchriswilliams Member

Aesthetically, I would assume grey would be the best choice. Continuity wise, I think it's most likely they stuck with the brown. What are the odds that the resistance had the exact same style of Jakku shoe she was wearing in a different color on hand?

17. wingedbear

wingedbear New Member

Very good point. I scoured a bit more and it appears that they did reuse the Dark Brown. It looks to me like they either added fabric or did something to the heel section - the change appears to be a much lighter grey color than it had been previously which doesn't match with the Dark Grey version of the Piper shoes.

18. DINVADER

DINVADER Sr Member

Look at the shoulders and top of Leia's Bespin gown. Reminds me of it.

Obi_Don and wingedbear like this.
  19. DINVADER

DINVADER Sr Member

20. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Rey Back.jpg
    Sorry I know its a bad pic this is what i got tonight seeing for the 5th time something i had not noticed before the back has like 2 seams that come off under the shoulder pads go down the back and kinda like 2 C they are just under the arm and go to lower back sorry the photo is trash but i added some colors to kinda show what it looks like I have to say I feel the boots might be Grey with this outfit but was hard to say i will see it again maybe this weekend or for sure on the 31st or 1st for sure i said i want it to be the last movie i see in 2015 and first i see in 2016 :) I am going to run around on Saturday go to a few book stores see if i can find any pic with her wearing it to get a clear photo for us. Also the Seams in the back did not look like they are in the front at all.............Dan

21. squelchbaker

squelchbaker New Member

So as far as the seams in the back being C-shaped and there not being seams in the front, I'm going to have to beg to differ with you.
    First of all, because the vest seems a bit tailored: these would be near-standard princess seams with a peplum. Secondly, because I pulled down a terrible camrip because I'm shamelessly obsessed with this costume and I have some really bad screenshots to throw into this conversation.

So these are the pics with the front seam highlighted. Now I will grant you that the seam is not nearly as obvious as the back seam, but I suspect it doesn't have the stitching on either side of the seam the way the back seam does. The first pic I've also drawn in the back seam for clarity. The second includes the actual side seam.

front seam 8.38 comp.png
    front seam 8.33 comp.png
    front seam 8.32 comp.png

These are the pics of the back seam. It comes straight down to the peplum seam which runs around the natural waist. There is also no centre-back seam, it'll have to be cut on the fold.

back seam 8.39 comp.png
    back seam 8.26 comp.png

22. ig89x

ig89x New Member

Hey.
    This is my first post, I've been really interested in Rey's bag in the final scene. It's not the normal belt pouch (the 37 signals army satchel) or anything in the visual dictionary. Looks like a backpack with one arm cut off so it's slung on one arm. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Timelord Rey likes this.
  23. squelchbaker

squelchbaker New Member

I can't answer for anyone else, but I haven't tried to analyze the bag too much (can't seem to get a clear view of it, mostly) but it looks like maybe a shoulder bag like the one she has inside the downed ship back on Jakku. Probably not the identical one but maybe a similar idea.

24. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Thanks for clearing all that up better than i did Squelchbaker. I am a 1000% novice on all of this stuff i was just going off seeing what i could. The arms are amazing in your pics or as good as we can get so far. I looked all over again today nothing in magazines or books so this is all we got for now. I like the kinda elbow part with that part hanging out. I agree with you that it's Tailored that will be the tough part making one big enough for me :) well I will keep looking to find more for sure Thanks For your help and info. i feel there will be many shamelessly obsessed fans about this one for a while :)

squelchbaker likes this.
  25. Mithril Designs

Mithril Designs Active Member

Hi all. I'm not even finished making the first Rey costume and now I want to make this one, too. I just saw the movie again and was trying to study it on-screen so here are my thoughts.

The vest and arm guards are more complex than at first glance. There's the "C" shaped seam on the back of the vest already mentioned. The shirt has some type of collar now, too, I think. You can see it on the action figure illustration, and I caught a glimpse of it in the movie. It lays up against the collar of the vest so it almost looks like a double collar. The armguards also have an overflap on the back for want of a better term, where one side seems to wrap around and get sewn on top of the other. Or it could be a patch sewn on top. You can see it in squelchbaker 's pictures. The fabric looks like some type of wool weave. There are multiple colors going on, I think, including greys and browns.

The bag has the strap on the side and the opening faces sideways. Like a sling bag or very much like a backpack with one strap cut off like ig89x suggested.

Here is a trace of the photo. It's not clear what the closure buckle looks like, but you can see the sling effect. There is a buckle on the front of the strap across her chest. I think it's a slide buckle to make the strap longer or shorter because on the back you can see where there is a second layer of the strap where it loops through the square ring and goes back up to the front.

ReyBag.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Timelord Rey likes this.
  26. Mithril Designs

Deleted

Timelord Rey likes this.
  27. Mithril Designs

Can someone tell me how I code something so it's inside a spoiler link?

And is there anyway to delete posts?

28. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

I feel this will be a nice Costume to create for CrossPlay. I know it wont be perfect but i feel I am going to try my hardest to do it the best i can with some small changes i don't feel i will have a shirt that is so low cut Still I will work hard at following what they have done. The cool Thing is already Thinking for the next movie what she may wear :) Endless Possiblites :)

29. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Mithril I have just got here like this week posting wise. If you look for the options the says more reply options then there is a Yellow Triangle that you click then you can put i blieve text or photos i been putting my photos that way you put it in the middle of the link. Thanks for sharing your drawings they help Better than my scribble :)

30. squelchbaker

squelchbaker New Member

I think you guys seem to have the right idea, well spotted!
    The next question is, is this potentially another modded military bag like her belt-bag in the other costume?

Timelord Rey likes this.
  31. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

ReyJedi.jpg
    Just Found This Art No Clue who did it if i did i would credit them 100% Amazing work some nice detail thought i would share here

32. detenten

detenten Active Member

Transferring from the other Rey build thread.
    Can we make this thread just SPOILER-Y? It'll make it easier to browse... ^_^

Timelord Rey likes this.
  33. hollyann

hollyann New Member

Saw it again today and the vest I'd almost say is herringbone weave wool because it definitely has a texture on it. It's hard finding that in a good color mix but I'll keep looking. It's a medium grey. The pants definitely seem a little brown if not brown grey and darker. I wish the concept art matched the fabrics choice better.

Samskinuity likes this.
  34. ig89x

ig89x New Member

Hey, cross posting this from the Rey Rebel Legion thread (combine somehow?)
    http://cullenmancing-trashparty.tumblr.com/post/136096666711
    Third down on the left shows the sling bag. To me it looks like the seam/stitching is on the exterior, which seems odd and doesn't match any bags I've seen or the military satchel that functions as Rey's belt pouch.
    Any thoughts?

35. Redwillow

Redwillow Sr Member

Anyone found any images showing the pants ( besides the action figure art)?

Timelord Rey likes this.
  36. theyrenotdolls

theyrenotdolls Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Reminds me of Luke's dagobah training outfit. But I see the resemblance to the Leia bespin gown

37. Timelord Rey

Timelord Rey New Member

Nothing its been kept top secret big time no photos in any magazines or books nothing.

38. Tom Starkiller

Tom Starkiller Well-Known Member

The Art of TFA states that it was made to resemble Han's costume.

squelchbaker likes this.
  39. Mithril Designs

From the Art Of book

ArtOf_image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  40. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

Yay! I am so happy to have come across this thread. This is the costume I am wanting to do for Calgary expo in April I hope more images become available soon with better pictures of the pants and shirt. But the images on here are a great help in at least getting one piece made. I just am having a hard time with the sleeve as well how would you say it should be constructed? piecing the top and making a flat bottom or kind of a quilting?

41. Lawrencewreeves

Lawrencewreeves New Member

Just watched the film again and in my opinion the jacket and vambraces are grey Tweed,there was a pattern on the vambraces in the weave the wraps are the same as the desert wraps but in grey and her trousers are a grey/brown,I couldn't see the shin part of the trousers so no opinion on them,may have to wait for the DVD for a confirmation on them

42. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

image.jpeg

This is is the best picture I have found of the vest and sleeves. I still have not been able to find a picture of the pants but one step at a time right?

edit to correct spelling

Mithril Designs likes this.
  43. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

image.jpg
    This is a quick trace from the last pic I posted
    image.jpg
    What I think the shoulder looks like flat. 12 inches wide X 6 inches tall. 1 inch between middle of arches.

Let me me know what you think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  44. Mithril Designs

Thanks for posting the sketch. I wonder if the angle of the sides is steeper than you have drawn on the flat image of the shoulder? Look at these pictures again. I'm not sure though. Maybe what you've drawn would work when 3 dimensional, but it reminds me more of the pattern for the shoulder pieces I made for Eowyn's vest than Rey's shoulders. They just seem so much deeper to me. But maybe they are just bigger like the dimensions you have suggested. Also, they look rigid, almost tubular. When I first saw a picture of this costume my first thought was that it was felted and molded, as were her arm warmers (or arm guards. What are we calling them?)
    Rey-Hero.jpg ReyShoulders1.jpg

45. Mithril Designs

My question is how to do that rolled collar. Also, do you see on the inside of her collar (her right side) that piece of white? I wonder if it is a lining or the collar of her shirt? And what about the edges? They seem sort of rough, but not unravelling. This is another reason I thought the pieces might be felted.

46. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

If it is felt it looks like it might be stiffened over a corrugated pipe. Also it looks like the corners might meet up under the arm(or close to it) so I am wondering if maybe flexible plastic cut to the shape of the shoulder detail might be integrated to the shoulder to hold it. The same type of plastic used to hold the corners of a suit shirt collar more ridged.

47. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

To me it looks like the edges are actually finished. And in the case of the shoulder pieces they even seem like a folded over edge. As for the collar it looks like it is is one piece with the front of the vest so maybe starching that will make it more ridged and less likely to fall down. As for that little white spot inside the collar I am not sure but maybe it was rubbing in that area and irritating her so they added a piece of fabric to minimize irritation? But it doesn't look like a shirt collar for sure

48. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

image.jpeg Minus the necklace what do you think of the top? Not a good photo of the asymmetrical side but with maybe a little alteration it could work

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpeg From the back

49. Julietrose

Julietrose Jr Member

50. Lawrencewreeves

Lawrencewreeves New Member

The white bit looks like fusable interfacing wich should add a lot of stiffness to the collar

Mithril Designs likes this.