Rewatched Tron Legacy (ramble on)

You know what? I am actually going to retract some of the things I have said earlier.. Legacy was on one of the movie channels the other night and I watched it again..I will have to admit that this time I really enjoyed it. It's still not the Tron movie I would have liked but it really is NOT a bad movie.

The disc war is really cool...The light cycle game, while still not what I wanted, was indeed pretty cool...The music is awesome.

The cinematography is really good. I may get blasted for saying this--but there is a lot of a "Kubrick" feel to the look of this film. The stark contrasts of color, the linear perspective, the lighting--all kind of reminded me of 2001 and Clockwork Orange....

There is also a lot of Bladerunner going on in this movie.

I think this thread has helped me appreciate this film more than I did before. I think I was finally able to let go of what "I wanted" and just go with it. And I really enjoyed it the most on this 6th or 7th viewing.. Looking deeper into more of the underlying motivations of the charactors, that have been explained here, opened my eyes a little bit.

So bravo you guys! I am always willing to admit if I am wrong and I think I was.

I still have a few nitpicks though; no 90 degree turns on the lightcycles and I wish that when they had done some of the flashbacks of Flynn and Tron they had done that in the style of the first movie. It could have been a little different but I think it would have helped to tie the two movies together. And I still think the Rinzler/Tron deal was not played up enough. It still seems like an afterthought to me..

BUT, all that said, I have changed my opinion of this movie:thumbsup

My opinion changed too, only I went from mildly liking it to really enjoying this movie.

Ditto. I saw it twice in the cinema, liked it a bit more than mildly - but having it on bluray I am now a raving, drooling fanboy.

The thought of popping it in the player actually provokes an endorphin rush. I love this film!

Ditto. I saw it twice in the cinema, liked it a bit more than mildly - but having it on bluray I am now a raving, drooling fanboy.

The thought of popping it in the player actually provokes an endorphin rush. I love this film!

It was a very difficult task to link with the original movie after all these years. I think they overcame the challenge nicely and set it up for a really great film with more Cillian Murphy! I can see him and Garrett Hedlund going against each other on the grid.

Just the other day I was thinking about the music soundtrack and how good I thought it was. I had never heard of Daft Punk before this movie, so I decided to check them out on YouTube.

Wow, I have to say I could not find one single song I could sit through. Just absolutely not my cup of tea. Every single song is "let's drop some Ecstacy and go to a gay rave club"....But that's just my opinion, if you like their stuff more power to you, everybody likes different things. I'm not trying to pass judgement on it... But man, I am so glad I did not follow my first instinct and buy a cd of this techno crap. I was really hoping I would like some of their music, as I absolutely loved the soundtrack to this movie..But sorry, their other stuff is totally not for me...

Cmon, seriously, you can't even get into 'Disc Wars'? With that thumping beat and all? I've had that OST on constant repeat since getting it...call me a gay raver, I guess. :lol

Edit; d'oh, how badly did I just mis-read your post. Completely missed the last two sentences. Yeah, I'll kind of agree there. I like some of their stuff okay, not a crazy fan by any means, but they clearly put a kind of different hat on for this job. The soundtrack is the best stuff by them I've heard, by a country mile.

I agree the soundtrack to the movie is some of the best music I've heard in a movie in a loooong time.

That being said, I just went to Amazon to purchase it..78 DOLLARS new and fifty bucks used??!!!! It ain't THAT good!!! WTF? :confused I'll pass...:angry

Just the other day I was thinking about the music soundtrack and how good I thought it was. I had never heard of Daft Punk before this movie, so I decided to check them out on YouTube.

Wow, I have to say I could not find one single song I could sit through. Just absolutely not my cup of tea. Every single song is "let's drop some Ecstacy and go to a gay rave club"....But that's just my opinion, if you like their stuff more power to you, everybody likes different things. I'm not trying to pass judgement on it... But man, I am so glad I did not follow my first instinct and buy a cd of this techno crap. I was really hoping I would like some of their music, as I absolutely loved the soundtrack to this movie..But sorry, their other stuff is totally not for me...

Honestly, the music in T:L that much like rave music at times. To me, their score reminded me more of Philip Glass' work on Koyaanisqatsi than it did of anything else they worked on in part or in whole. I mean, I've listened to a lot of songs from Daft Punk, such as Harder Better Faster Stronger, Around the World and Something About Us. I've even listened to the score for the movie Irreversible done by Thomas Bangalter, one half of the Daft Punk duo.

By the mentality that the T:L score sounds like rave music, I'm sure the same argument can be made for the original film's score and like only a small number of songs from the film. But, the fact is that the score fits the subject matter (much like how the original score fit the subject matter of the original). If you don't like all the soundtrack, that's fine. I myself only like the song Outrage from the Irreversible soundtrack.

They have four or five songs that I like and the rest I do not. However, I really like the music from their concerts where they combine songs. Weird. Look on YouTube for Alive 2007.

Sent from my Apple Newton

Honestly, the music in T:L that much like rave music at times. To me, their score reminded me more of Philip Glass' work on Koyaanisqatsi than it did of anything else they worked on in part or in whole. I mean, I've listened to a lot of songs from Daft Punk, such as Harder Better Faster Stronger, Around the World and Something About Us. I've even listened to the score for the movie Irreversible done by Thomas Bangalter, one half of the Daft Punk duo.

By the mentality that the T:L score sounds like rave music, I'm sure the same argument can be made for the original film's score and like only a small number of songs from the film. But, the fact is that the score fits the subject matter (much like how the original score fit the subject matter of the original). If you don't like all the soundtrack, that's fine. I myself only like the song Outrage from the Irreversible soundtrack.

You obviously did not read my post, and only skimmed it.

You obviously did not read my post, and only skimmed it.

No, I read it. Why do you think I said, "If you don't like all the soundtrack, that's fine."? I was just giving my two cents on the idea of Daft Punk not being rave music, and how I feel the music reminded me Philip Glass' work and how it differed from Daft Punk's typical work (be it as a duo or as a single artist, as Bangalter did the score for the movie Irreversible) in the process.

But I NEVER said I didn't like the soundtrack. In fact, I stated twice that I DID like the soundtrack...

I never stated that you didn't like the soundtrack either. You said that you only liked a few tracks. And I said, "If you don't like all the soundtrack, that's fine.", meaning that "if you only like a few tracks and not the whole thing, that's okay, you're entitled to do so."

So, what's the point of arguing when we both agree on the same thing?

Having rather enjoyed the film, and been a fan of Daft Punk for a while, I did enjoy the soundtrack. I find myself liking their "R3C0NF1GUR3D" album as well.

That being said, Solar Sailer and End of Line from the original are my favourites. And The Game has Changed.

No!!! I never EVER said I only liked some of the tracks on the soundtrack. Where are you getting that? I said I liked the soundtrack and did not like their other stuff!!!

No!!! I never EVER said I only liked some of the tracks on the soundtrack. Where are you getting that? I said I liked the soundtrack and did not like their other stuff!!!

No reason to get excited. So, I made a simple misreading about your comment about liking the soundtrack. If you like all of it or some of it, then more power to you and its your preference. I respect it, no matter what. I never said you didn't like the soundtrack, and I'm saying if you like any or all of it than I'm glad you do.

I don't see any reason to get so upset. Relax man, you're totally being "un-Dude."

It's all cool, man..I was just getting frustrated when you kept saying I said something that I did not. Even after I informed you that you had misread my post, you were still insisting that I said something that I did not.

It's all cool, man..I was just getting frustrated when you kept saying I said something that I did not. Even after I informed you that you had misread my post, you were still insisting that I said something that I did not.

No problem. But I have to admit, you were a bit more aggressive than I was expecting.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back