Superman: Legacy

Lightning

Master Member
Just read that Safran described Superman in this film as "the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way; he's kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old fashioned". Gunn and Safran consider the film to be the true beginning of the DCU.

With the word "Legacy" in the title, I'm really hoping they stick to the old Superman and stay away from a lot of modern trends and the above makes me hopeful... but I'm far from holding my breath.

Just read that Safran described Superman in this film as "the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way; he's kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old fashioned". Gunn and Safran consider the film to be the true beginning of the DCU.

With the word "Legacy" in the title, I'm really hoping they stick to the old Superman and stay away from a lot of modern trends and the above makes me hopeful... but I'm far from holding my breath.
I certainly hope so. The last mess was as far away from Superman as they could have possibly gotten.

Agreed, let's hope Gunn and Safran understand who the TRUE hero is behind the Superman mythos: Jonathan Kent. Thanks to Jonathan, Kal-El didn't turn out like Homelander or Brightburn.

Robert Wise understood this in 1978 when Jonathan raised Clark: "You are here for a reason." No matter what, always do the right thing.

Zach Snyder did not understand this, and so his Jonathan Kent sent the wrong message: "Be willing to make sacrifices for the bigger picture."
Nope! That's why Metropolis got shredded in that movie and why Superman murdered Zod.

If the new DC leaders can understand that Superman has one of the greatest weaknesses of all Superheroes (not Kryptonite, but the people he protects), they can tell a good story. In Superman II (1982), once General Zod figured that out, it was game-set-match. Superman was defeated.

Last edited:
Another thought occurred to me...the media has it so wrong here. So many writers claim that Superman is hard to write because he's all-powerful. I posit that Superman is actually one of the weakest superheroes, in that traditionally, he WILL NOT, MUST NOT use his powers make the hard decisions, to sacrifice a person or his principles. Instead he will find a workaround, SOMEHOW. This is why Lex Luthor is such a foil for him. Luthor's "mind over muscle" is so hard for Superman to defeat, because Superman can only win by outhinking. Which is what he did in Superman II.

It seems to me there are still a plethora of great stories that can be written about this. Superman is actually powerless, because someone with the right insights can hamstring him. Without Kryptonite.

Come on Hollywood, this isn't Kryptonian Rocket Science!

We shall see my dear fellows...we shall see.

That statement borders dangerously on positivity…

Such an attitude of hope and withholding judgement that you are expressing is not part of the proud legacy of the RPF.

I would like to hear some snap judgments—prior to anything being known about the plot of the film. If at all possible, statements condemning the film, wholesale, are most preferred.

Offensive statements of optimism do not belong here and it frankly sickness me, physically, to read such statements; it’s not why I come here.

Last edited:

Such an attitude of hope and withholding judgement that you are expressing is not part of the proud legacy of the RPF.

I would like to hear some snap judgments—prior to anything being known about the plot of the film. If at all possible, statements condemning the film, wholesale, are most preferred.

Offensive statements of optimism do not belong here and it frankly sickness me, physically, to read such statements; it’s not why I come here.
His costume is horrible! So far removed from ANYTHING that it should be.

How’s that Alle…. Uh, Dunsel?

His costume is horrible! So far removed from ANYTHING that it should be.

How’s that Alle…. Uh, Dunsel?

Now, that’s more like it.

Ah, yes. All is right with the world, once again, and nature has resumed its harmonious equilibrium.

IMG_1933.jpeg

I'm sure they realize that Superman has to be a home run type movie. Personally, I'm looking forward to the teased Green Lantern mystery TV show more. But I don't know why that's not a two part movie with a cliffhanger or something.

And I still think they are starting off wrong with a cartoon, even though I like cartoons. I still think the whole thing should be a complete reboot too with all new actors. But we'll see.

Another thought occurred to me...the media has it so wrong here. So many writers claim that Superman is hard to write because he's all-powerful. I posit that Superman is actually one of the weakest superheroes, in that traditionally, he WILL NOT, MUST NOT use his powers make the hard decisions, to sacrifice a person or his principles. Instead he will find a workaround, SOMEHOW. This is why Lex Luthor is such a foil for him. Luthor's "mind over muscle" is so hard for Superman to defeat, because Superman can only win by outhinking. Which is what he did in Superman II.

It seems to me there are still a plethora of great stories that can be written about this. Superman is actually powerless, because someone with the right insights can hamstring him. Without Kryptonite.

Come on Hollywood, this isn't Kryptonian Rocket Science!
They couldn't make Superman a God. He has to have limits! Without limits, stories would've been boring as hell:rolleyes:
He cannot save everybody, period. That's what makes the character interesting.

I've seen both actors in other shows/ movies and they've got the range and talent so the casting choices are ones I can get behind. Let's just hope the script is optimistic and hopeful. Superman may have a flat arc (this to my mind is what makes him work) but as long as they remember the roots of the character as being an aspirational hero, I'm on board. No more of this Batman wannabe brooding stuff for Superman. That stuff sucks. Superman is a hero in the more traditional sense, and we need that now more than ever.

You win the internet for the day, my friend! lol

They couldn't make Superman a God. He has to have limits! Without limits, stories would've been boring as hell:rolleyes:

I agree that they need to impose limitations on the character, as with any protagonist you have to have some sort of obstacle for them to overcome. Part of what makes Superman interesting to me are several key ingredients. One, he's humble. Despite essentially being a god compared to the people of earth and being with endowed with powers that far surpass the human experience of us mere mortals, Clark learns that his greatest strength is his self control. The monologue here is one I revisit from time to time because it embodies the core of the character perfectly. He's also likes to have fun. I think Christopher Reeve balanced that aspect with razor sharp precision. He's consciously choosing to play the part of a mere mortal in the form of Clark Kent, despite being able to do just about anything and so he has fun with "being human."

The other aspect that makes Superman interesting (to me at least) is that he has a flat arc- meaning he doesn't necessarily have flaws in the traditional sense where most protaginists have to learn to overcome those flaws. The emotional catharsis for the audience really comes from the supporting characters in the story who are impacted by Superman's influence. In that sense Clark is a truly aspirational character. His example of doing the right thing when no one else will is what allows otherwise selfish people to act the same as him. When they see that this stranger comes along and fights for justice, they too are inspired to follow his lead by choosing to be better.

I've always thought they need to do a story about a hero - Superman or a similarly powered hero - who feels he can't ever rest because he's capable of helping others and there's always people who need help. The Flash movie kind of delves into this, but that's more about trying too hard to make one thing "right." Spider-Man 2 was probably the best at having a hero who wasn't able to have a "normal" life because he felt a sense of responsibility to try to help as many people as he could. Superman 2 focused on it too, but I want to see a hero that feels he can't ever stop fighting crime and injustice. Of all the different takes on Superman, he still devotes a lot of time being Clark Kent, which seems antithetical to his supposed sense of responsibility and as defender of "truth and justice."

Even superheroes need to make a living so they can eat and keep a roof over their head. Not to mention being allowed to have a life outside from saving the world, if anything else, at least a respite for themselves to keep their sanity. The most selfless people in the world still have families and obligations that need to be met.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back