Rewatched Tron Legacy (ramble on)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Deric, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Deric

Deric Sr Member

****WARNING REALLY LONG RAMBLING RANDOM THOUGHTS ARE BELOW****
    ****I AM BY NO MEANS A MOVIE CRITIC, IF YOU CHOOSE TO READ THIS YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK****

I just rewatched Tron Legacy and after seeing it again I must say for the most part they did an awesome job. I know a lot of people gave it a bad rap especially on the CG Clu character.

I think people overlook how good the CGI is in this movie. From the vehicles to the environment there are barely any times the usual polished or jerky appearance of CGI shows itself. I agree the Clu CGI has its bad moments (especially when he is yelling or when he is opening his eyes really wide during an expression) but there are times for what it is it is darn good. The scene with Clu in the End of Line Club is the best in my opinion. Could it have been better? Probably and they may have even been able to put makeup on Jeff Bridges to make him look younger versus motion capture. In the end it is still good and doesn't really pull you out of the movie too much when you see the bad (Young Kevin and Clu talking or when Young Kevin runs from Clu).

The movie's main focus is The Grid, and while that is really what Tron is mostly about, this movie made me want to know more about the real world story of the people involved. Maybe they will do this in the 3rd one if it is made. Speaking of the 3rd one I think they really set things up well especially with Tron turning back to the good side at the end and with what really happens to Flynn. The one part of the story I didn't care about though was the Quorra character. I really think they will have a hard time selling her as the next miracle. This is the one thing I am concerned about in the next one.

Another thing I really enjoyed during the rewatch was the secondary players. Some of these characters were done so well for the little time they have on screen. Castor and Gem I think really steal the show in The Grid and Dillinger's son and Alan's struggle with the board in the real world. I think there is a lot of potential with these background characters.

As I said I think the CGI is top notch and the visuals just fit in so well. The action is great especially with the Light-Jets. One thing I didn't care too much for or maybe didn't pay attention to the first time around was the music. Maybe it was the theater I was in but when viewing this at home, the music is such a part of what makes this update work. I've never been a fan of techno or house music but this soundtrack has me sold. I had no idea who Daft Punk was going in and not to sound too pig-headed on it but I think the soundtrack is their best work after sampling some of their stuff online. I found myself turning the volume up loud shortly into the rewatch.

If you haven't seen this in a while or were on the fence about seeing it I definitely recommend a re-watch especially since I seeit is on Netflix now if you have it.

-Deric

2. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My ears were burning. I'm always up for talking about the finer points of Legacy.

If you're interested in the real-world happenings pre-Legacy, the viral campaign leading up to the movie, called FLYNN LIVES, did a great job of rounding out the universe. Not sure how familiar you are with that, but there's still a lot of content you can enjoy.

3. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I was certain that they were planning ahead for a third film when Cillian Murphy got such a small role as Dillinger's son.

4. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

I thought they were still going ahead with two more films centered around Murphy's character as villain?

I watched this just recently and was shocked by how much fun it was. I paid no attention to it at all when it came out, and expected nothing from it, but it's a great movie.

I hope they do another, but only if Daft Punk keeps scoring it.

5. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

I loved the panoramic vistas and the stunning visuals and the music, but only liked the movie. My biggest question was why, even though they're still in the middle of Uncanny Valley with young Flynn and Clu, they went ahead with it. I could have forgiven the Polar Express-ness of Clu if they'd softened every other character's features similarly (and perhaps left the three majors "real"), but why wouldn't they have shot around it with young Flynn? They could have left him in the shadows and I would have totally bought it, because that's the way they used to do things before CGI came along. And yes, it's a 98% CGI movie, but why risk taking the audience out of it in the first 10 minutes?

Thatisall.

6. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I loved Tron Legacy - from start to finish it was great.
    I do agree about the CLU CGI, but considering they had to completely animate and stitch a young Flynn CGI head on a stunt double body, whilst syncing it to JB's voice-over, i think they pulled off one incredible job.

But wholeheartedly agree on the soundtrack, it adds so much to the movie, the opening theme music (The Grid, track 2 on the album) is incredible, and it's my ringtone (just after the point where Jeff Bridges stops talking) I listen to the album a lot, especially in the car!

The other great thing besides the story, universe, set up and CGI - Is the props and wardrobe - It's a collectors dream!

Looking forward to any follow-up movies, just hope we are not disappointed!

7. dualedge

dualedge Sr Member

:thumbsup

Totally agree on just hiding the young Flynn in the shadows. For that matter, I think they could have just shown Clu as the same age as Flynn and just figured out some explanation for why he is aged.

After all, in the original Tron, there were old digital characters like Dumont who showed up as the same age as his real world counterpart Dr. Gibbs. So it seems to me that Clu SHOULD have looked like the older Flynn just as the older character Dumont mirrored Dr. Gibbs.

Clu's "polar express" mannequin-look is really my only complaint. Otherwise it's an okay movie. It's not fantastic but it's an okay popcorn flick. Personally I like to watch it just for the visual aesthetics which are simply beautiful IMHO.

8. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I've been wondering why ENCOM would hire the son of one of their greatest embarassments, most companies in the real world would shy away from ANYTHING that might bring them bad press, right?

9. nickytea

?

What are you talking about, "hire?"

10. oujala

oujala Well-Known Member

How did Murphy's character start working for Encom if he didn't get hired? Am I missing something?

I wondered about the hiring, too. That stuck out more than the cg. I loved the movie and it hit harder on the second viewing.

11. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

I cannot state in enough words of the english language how disapointed I was with Tron legacy.It was BLOODY HORRIBLE from start to finish.

12. nickytea

Yet you're still trying. ;) (Though, not very hard.)

I thought it was brilliant from frame one through the end credits. (See how unsatisfying it is when someone doesn't explain why they think something?)

13. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree I thought it was brilliant as well. I watch it whenever my wife is out of the house and have the volume turned up to shake my house.

14. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

i loved it - visual and audio treat, crank the volume up, turn the brain off and enjoy :):)

just annoying my blue ray disc freezes at the same point every time

15. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

My husband and I both love Tron Legacy. It's one of those movies that if I see it on one of the movie channels while surfing channels, I'll stop and watch it, no matter where it is in the movie.

* Love the characters (I know Qorra isn't a lot of people's favorite, but I like her a lot)
    * Loved seeing Bruce on the big screen again
    * Love, love LOVE the score by Daft Punk
    * I liked the story in that it built off the prior movie's storyline and didn't spoonfeed me explanations of what's going on. They gave just enough to get people up to speed without making people who've seen and enjoyed the first movie feel like we're being forced to sit through tons of unnecessary exposition

I could go on and on about the movie, but I'll restrain myself. :)

16. DoubleD

DoubleD Sr Member

What she said.

17. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I'm sorry, as much as I really, really, really, really wanted to like this movie--to me--it was just a disappointment... Yeah, it looked great and the music was good, but the story just sucked!!..Yeah yeah, I know, the first one's story wasn't so great either, but that's not the one we are talking about here.

I mean why was this movie even called TRON? For the .00002 seconds he is in the movie? It feels like they made the movie with this henchman of CLU and ,after the fact, they said "oh wait, we forgot to put TRON in the movie. Well, how about we just call the henchman TRON?..Then an added scene or two of explaination and Voila--TRON is now in the movie!"......Just stupid.:thumbsdown

I love the first TRON, but I have never claimed it was a cinematic masterpiece...It was good for what it was (first cgi stuff) and you either loved it or hated it. Tron legacy would have been a good movie if it just was NOT TRON.. Just some other planet or dimension or something.

Plus, they absolutely ruined the coolest thing to ever hit the screen: Lightcycles. The most awesome thing about them was those 90 degree turns on the game grid. When I first saw that back in 82 (or whenever it came out) my jaw hit the floor!! :eek And they took that away.....Fail...

18. dualedge

dualedge Sr Member

I'm guessing that's probably the laser switching to read the second layer of the disc which is why it happens at the same exact point every time. I see it on some movies too every once in a while.

19. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Tron wasn't in the movie. It was just a cameo by Kroenen from Hellboy. They just gave him two discs instead of swords.

20. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

Now I love Tron Legacy but I kind of agree here. I liked sequences like the Lightcycles and the jets toward the end, but one of the things that tipped you off that this was a computer and not the real world is that it wasn't beholden to physics.

Legacy dumped that idea, perhaps to reflect the advance in computer technology, but it lost something.

And the whole scene where the jets go up too high, stall the engines and plummet back down? I allowed it cause it was a fine scene, but it's not like there's an atmosphere to thin out in there, right?

Yeah, and there's no reason programs can't age, or even be "upgraded" to be played by other actors.

While I love Tron Legacy just head and tails above Tron, it stays derivative of the original without being as crazy imaginative. I'd love them to expand on this stuff in the sequels. AlsotorescueTronwhoclearlyisn'tdeadjustsaying. :rolleyes

21. nonner242

nonner242 New Member

I didnt think Id like it at all opening night. I walked away thinking "that was not Tron"
    Days passed more started to feel abit better in my head after rethinking about parts.
    Then after a rewatch on DVD I felt like alot worked...and worked well.
    Now I feel comfortable say.."Yes, this is a Tron movie"!
    Cant wait for more...
    Love the soundtrack too.

22. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The way I picked up, especially with the board room scene and "The Next Day" video, is that Dillenger Jr. had to work his way up to where he is. I figured the name Dillenger sort of came with a stigma that Jr. had to work hard to shake from. Alan says in "The Next Day" that "Junior earned his place" when Ram asked him about who of the board was out and brought up Dillenger Jr.

Honestly, there are some scenes where the digital Jeff Bridges doesn't work. For the opening scene, I think that if they had just saved showing the digital head until the final moment when he turns around and says "We're always on the same side" (which to me is actually the best shot of the CG in the whole scene), it would have had a better impact too (making that the first time we see the CG, but it being the last time Sam sees Flynn). The rest of the time, I think most of the CG scenes work because in some cases, they are covered with distortion (all the flashback scenes and the TV news broadcast after Flynn disappears are good example) and depending on the lighting (the scene where Sam comes face to face with CLU for the first time is a good example while the EOLC scene isn't). But that's just 1% of the time, the other 98% of the time worked out well (the other 1% is when CLU is wearing a helmet).

Now, I know many people may not like Quorra, but I do. I think Olivia Wilde did a great job in showing the innocence and nativity of the character (whereas before she was primarily known for her head strong and overtly sexual Thirteen character from House, which is actually opposite of Quorra. And for Wilde to take on the role of Quorra actually shows that she's not just a pretty face and meant only for "the hot and sexy chick" role, but shows that she could potentially be a more diverse actress than she initially appeared to be, if given the chance and the right role).

As for why the film has the name TRON if he was only in it for about .00002 comment, let me tell you something: What else COULD you call it? People see the world of the story as "The TRON universe." TRON 2.0 was set in that universe, yet doesn't feature the original TRON anywhere (though Bruce Boxleitner was in the game as Alan and there are references to TRON himself in the in-game e-mails). Why? Because that is how the world of the story is designed and people associate that world with TRON. That's why people call the Star Trek Universe the Star Trek Universe (and not the Enterprise Crew universe), why the Star Wars Universe the Star Wars universe (and not the Skywalker and Company universe). The name TRON is a brand that is associated with that world and those characters in that particular story. Besides, TRON was in the film. He was in the film more than that, but as Rinzler. It's only after we discover the truth about Rinzler do we realize he's been there the whole time.

23. who45

who45 Well-Known Member

didnt think od that one, but its the only disc in my collection of over 800 discs that does it. right after he fixes cora and is awaiting her to re awaken and at the end of that scene its freeze time - the dvd player then has to be turned off at the mains as everything locks up and no function works be it open the tray, turn off, forward , menu etc etc.

24. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

It's not that I thought it was a bad movie per se. I've actually watched it about 5 times now. I just thought it wasn't a good TRON movie. It just felt too disconnected to the first one. Just not in the same universe, yeah I know computers upgrade and all, but still it just seemed to have no relation to the first one. It felt more like a Matrix movie than a TRON movie.

They could have just changed the title and the charactors names and just made it a totally new movie unto itself. Then I think it would have worked better.

And the idea of the ISOs was, to me, just pointless. It didn't really add anything to the movie.

Again, it's not a bad movie, it's just a bad TRON movie IMHO.

25. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

The computer I'm using right now seems to be from a different universe than my first one, and Apple II. :lol

26. nickytea

Sorry, try again.
    Not only was it not pointless, it was, to a large degree, the point.

27. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

The best movie going experience I ever had was seeing Tron Legacy in IMAX 3D. That was friggin' awesome! :cool:thumbsup:thumbsup

When the next Tron comes out, I'm hitting the IMAX.

28. nickytea

I wish I could be that optimistic.

29. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Of course it's the same universe, and of course it doesn't have the same relation to the first film. We're talking about a different type of computer system with a different type of O/S. The servers we see in T:L is different from the Encom-511 servers from the first one. We're not just talking about a different overall appearance, but we're talking about an entirely different system, with different hardware and software configuration. For all we know, the inside of a smartphone may look like the inside of Flynn's hideout in T:L while another computer, let's say a laptop, may have a florescent green sky and a red grid design. Remember, Flynn's Grid was meant to be a sandbox server. Sandbox software may be drastically different than the typical file server software that Encom was using on the Encom-511. So, obviously the look is going to be drastically different.

But from a filmmaker's standpoint, the original in-computer world looks rather cheesy nowadays. I'm not knocking the film, but I can see why design of the world presented in the first film wasn't used in this film. Yes, it is easier to recreate it, but it is so far detached from what a modern audience would get. It's sort of the same reason behind why Abarams' redesigned Enterprise and interior. You could recreate the TOS bridge no problem (as fans have done it with for fan films like The New Voyages aka Phase 2). But in comparison to what we've seen in the other shows of Star Trek, the bridge design is rather cheesy and is far disassociated from the original show's design. The same is true with the world of TRON. At the time it came out, it was amazing. Anyone who grew up in the 1990s or later would look at it and think it's way too cartoony. Yes, we could have had a mid-way point, and we did (with the TRON 2.0 game), but can we really show the evolution of the in-computer world without boring the audience to death? With their short attention spans, no. But I can say this: I bet that when it comes to the next TRON film (if and when it comes out), the inside of the Encom servers are going to be even more drastically different from what we've seen in the first film or the second one (because as Larry pointed out, the inside world of a modern computer may be drastically different than an old Apple II).

30. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Didn't Bruce Boxleitner confirm that Tron 3 was already in the works during D23 a few months back?

Bruce Boxleitner Confirms Tron 3 for 2013 | WorstPreviews.com

"The fan asked if Boxleitner will return for the third film, obviously trying to get the actor to confirm whether the third film is even being considered. "That's already a done deal," he said about returning for part 3. "It's already in the works."

Film Thrasher: THE NEWS BUNDLE: Bruce Boxleitner Confirms 'Tron 3' to Fans at D23 Expo

"The video above, taken from AICN, is a fan interaction with Bruce Boxleitner, the man who plans Alan Bradley/Tron, at the D23 Expo last weekend. Mr. Boxleitner assures that Tron 3 is a done deal, and that work will start next year for a 2013 release!"

On a side note, I also enjoyed Tron Legacy very much. I was never really a big fan of the original film (although I did enjoy it) but I enjoyed this film much more.
    I thought the film set up the process for a sequel very well and really got me interested in knowing what might happen next.

SPOILERS -

BTW, regarding the chip around Sam's neck...What do you think was on it?
    I thought for certain it was his fathers ID info (so that he may possibly bring back his father in the next film), but many people think it's the entire grid.

???

DS

31. zerahemnah

zerahemnah Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The movie really got me itching to get out the el wire and make a costume!

32. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Sorry, disagree.

It seemed to me the point of the movie was Sam trying to rescue his Father from a system taken over by Clu.

The ISOs just seemed like a side plot that never went anywhere. Tell me again, how exactly did they change the world?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  33. Larry Young

At the end, Kevin sacrificed himself to prove a scientific/philosophical point. Souls generated in the grid independent of his work, and Quorra was a living hottie in reality at the end because of it. Everything that happens in the film is in service of proving ISOs are capital-L life.

34. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

They may have intended it to be the point but the way it was written it really did turn out to be not much more than a side point. IMO, when all is said and done, it wasn't the miraculous super stupendous thing that Kevin was babbling about.

35. nickytea

Yes, it was. The ISOs (more specifically, Quorra) are a representation on the character level of Kevin's journey of self-realization, and the central thematic statement of the film, depicted by the entire movement of the narrative. It can't be ignored or isolated (forgive me) from the rest of the story.

The whole is contained within the part.

36. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

According to you and your textbook analysis it can't be isolated. But to me and others it was an underdeveloped side note and a trivial attempt to give an otherwise entertaining action movie more depth. Your interpretation is only one of many. Neither is right, neither is wrong. I respect your viewpoint even if I don't agree with it. :lol

37. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

I agree the Isos were underdeveloped, but they were the more interesting point.

The unnecessary side plot for me was CLU trying to take over the world to heighten the stakes. Not only was there no reason for this ("I will create the perfect system. Also, TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD.") but it would've gotten really awkward when they go through the portal and all their armor turned into leather jackets and jeans, and their bad-* ship and weapons evaporate.

I wished they'd gone a bit more in depth with the Isos, because they are pointing to why there are people living in the computer anyway. The programs are living beings too somehow, and that was interesting, not in a "we've over-explained this concept" kind of way, but in a way worthy of more time devoted to it.

38. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Exactly. Flynn stated that the ISOs would drastically change a lot of concepts in the our very world. If their existence proves that Kevin Flynn's statement of "the conditions were right" and they came to be without his involvement, then that pretty much explains that life can exist without "God having a hand in it." That's the "religion and philosophy" portion of Flynn's statement to Alan about changing the world. "Science" would also change since Quorra, a digital being, is now in our world, imagine what her DNA and physical being could represent in changing medical sciences (Flynn pretty much said it himself, "disease- history!", which suggests that somehow her DNA and her physical being could be used as the bases of many medical breakthroughs, possibly including the possible cures for some of the most deadly cancers and viruses). We get a greater idea on what could potentially be changed due to her and her being out in our world now.

To some, it seems like a dead end, BUT, this is only one film. For all we know, we may actually get more on how her existing can end up changing our world, as well as some end results of changes due to her existing, in the next film. Basically, due to the ISOs and Quorra being the last one, there's a LOT of ground the could be covered from a writer's point of view. It could clearly be the ISOs were purposefully set up in the first film so that we could see the end results in the next film.

39. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

If Tron has to be explained to me like a lecture on Citizen Kane, then I feel it's missed the point.

I'll take the original.

40. Larry Young

Hey, man; don't feel too badly. There's always someone ahead of you in line, and always someone behind you. Eventually, it'll be your turn. You'll get it, eventually. Wrote a whole article about this ten years ago, so it's an ongoing concern:

Loose Cannon: Issue #8 - Comic Book Resources

41. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tron Legacy for me was one of the surprise films I absolutely loved for everything it is from start to finish.

Yes, some of the Clu stuff you can clearly see the CGI, but there were other shots that were scarily close to photo real it was insane. I think recreating human form in CGI is a VERY ballsy move, but I think, when in a digital world, I could accept this mostly. Some of the flashback stuff was a bit painful to see with how they chose to show that with whatever filtering they did in that greenish look.... looked a bit toony at times, but all things aside... I think this film is one of the most bad*** films I've seen in a very long time.

The teasers didn't strike me as too giddy of a reaction with how effects are just overly saturating films as it is, but as the film drew closer with more a deeper history and connecting that to this film just made it have a lot more potential. And then when I went to see it.... I felt like it was gonna be something special within 5-7 minutes in. When Journey started playing overhead in the old arcade and seeing all that again... holy crap. I can't tell you all the things that just made me REALLY REALLY love this film.

I so can't wait for Tron 3.

42. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hmm....I need to mention specifics of why Tron Legacy was so bad? Geese...you don't know what you are asking from me because I'm bound to really hurt someone's feelings. I'll try to keep it as civil as possible but look, it has the very dull,predictable Hollywood Disney plot.There was nothing new added to it.It was virtually a carbon copy of the original, just flipped over on itself.

The only thing that was new (if you could state anything new about it at all) was the much improved CG, but that's all it was. It was one, long, BORING digital/CG film.I had to watch it three times to make it all the way through the film.I fell asleep twice trying to watch it.It also had a very rough/predictably put together ending. Dad sacrifices himself to save his son and the "EVIL CLUE" gets destroyed sending his kid and his new digital girlfriend back to the real world. Lame.

It was very obvious that the only thing Disney was interested in doing was placing the larger part of the budget into the CG and overall look of the film (which the directer admited to more or less in the featurette) and watered down the script to what it ended up being.Tron Legacy is a film in which Disney used the original to amp the hype up on making it out to be more than it was.A typical ploy that Hollywood studios have been pushing in order to recoup as much money as they possibly can on a DOG of a film and believe me, THEY KNOW when a film is doomed to tank.

So, that's my overview of Tron Legacy in a nutshell.I removed all the colorful metaphores as to not offend any Tron Legacy fans, but it really was a P.O.S despite the CG and the the new and improved sound.Its one of those "looks cool" but is really a pointless film with dull characters and nothing fresh or new added because they don't feel they have to.They are depending on "fans" to sell it for them (just like Lucas did with the Star Wars prequels).I don't know what the end box office earnings were for Tron Legacy, but I don't think it did as well as Disney was hoping and hopefully it will detour them from making a Tron 3 film.

43. Larry Young

Yeah, I hate it when people get to enjoy things I don't like, too. It's like their fun is insulting me, personally.

44. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

It made a worldwide total of $400,062,763 and they are already working on Tron 3 so for us that did like the movie I guess it didn't detour them from making a 3rd one which we will go see.

45. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

You forgot to mention TRON: Uprising. I mean, if the film had been a bomb, I doubt they would do an animated series.

46. Larry Young

I don't mean to dogpile, but between you saying Nick was giving you a textbook-type answer and answering me as if I was lecturing on CITIZEN KANE, I still hesitate to point out that both Nick and I summarized action, theme, and import for you in three sentences each. Hardly an academic lecture. :lol

47. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Deter. Deter them. Just saying.

48. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Regardless...it still doesn't take much to impress audiences these days. Whatever the box office success (or lack of no matter what film it is), it still doesn't coralate with the films overall quality. Tron Legacy was a bad film that just had a big budget to spend on CG FX and Disney used its fan support/love of the original to hype it up,plain and simple.

I don't care if others like it.Not everyone likes the same things and some people like brainless eye candy for movie entertainment and that's fine.Tron Legacy (and a string of other big budget Hollywood films) is just another example of Hollywood and the corporate film industry's ability to push badly made films through and squeeze every last cent out of them that they can.To me, it kills the whole movie experience and cheapens it, like they didn't give a * when they decided to make it.

If I had seen it in the theater I would have gone back for a refund after about 20 minutes. I rarely feel the urge to do that, but in recent years....you can't deney that the "so called" big budget films being turned out were the greatest and only a very small handful ended up being as good as anticipated.

For example, I really liked Thor and Captain America this past summer, but X-Men First Class sucked.I had'nt seen any of the other summer films this year, none sounded interesting.I can't think of anything last summer that stood out as being interesting or watchable...pretty much the last few summers have been bad as far as films go and only a couple come to mind that are worth praising and mentioning I.M.O.

49. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I need to get my thoughts together on Legacy and read another thread. However, I have a question that I'm not sure about.

Is Clu some sort of linked copy of Flynn? There are a lot of things in the movie that would point to this being the case. But if is true, it also damages a lot of the motivations and intelligence of some of the characters. What do you guys/girls think?

50. Larry Young

What do you mean by linked copy?