Revell's Resistance X-Wing, with some mods..

mcusanelli

Hey guys,
I thought I'd share some pics of my X-Wing build. I know that many are unhappy with this new 'beginners' kit, but it was Force Friday, and there it was on the shelf at Target, so I figured I'd see what I could do with it. Turns out, it's a nice basic kit with some surprisingly detailed parts, super-clear canopy, and some nice engraving, at least I think so! The first thing I decided to do is fix the cockpit, and find a pilot that looked right. Fortunatly, I've never thrown away any pilot figure in 45 years of modeling (in fact, all those figures eventually led me to become a sculptor, with a little inspiration from ILM's magnificent artists whose work I'm for ever greatful to!) so, a 1/48 Airfix jet pilot who is way to small for 1/48 scale fit the bill. He was modified with superglue paste (Lock-tite and baby powder) solder wire, and sculpting wax for the fine details I can't do any other way. He got rubber molded and cast in Alumilite, because I know I'm going to do another one of these), and painted with acrylics. The cockpit was cut apart, because all of it's elements are usable,electronics got tossed, and the side consoles and seat were added to a cut down Monogram F-86 cockpit tub. This was then trimmed to fit up against the computer equipment part at the rear, and the control stick made from a piece of paper clip and some masking tape. I also took BB-8's head, and sunk it further down into his socket, to use as the body, and made a new smaller head from a chunk of sprue. I added a piece of styrene rod around the opening to make him appear smaller. The detail was then painted on. I added some height to the seat with some of the plastic left over from the electronics package. All of the interior was painted with British Ocean grey, washed with black, and drybrushed to pick out the details. The instrument panel and coaming are excellent as is, just need a good paint job to bring them to life. The holes in the fuselage for the sounds were filled in with 'crazy-paste', and the cannons were cut off, pinned, and rotated so the orientation of the 'c' things was correct. Apple Barrel and Folk-Art paints were used throughout, custom mixed where necessary. Weathering was done with black washes, I might go back and chip some paint here and there, and maybe make a couple of panels bare metal. Hope you like it!

Attachments

• IMG_6046.JPG
    IMG_6046.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 317
  • IMG_6051.JPG
    IMG_6051.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 332
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_6081.JPG
    IMG_6081.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 420
  • IMG_6079.JPG
    IMG_6079.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 390
  • IMG_6078.JPG
    IMG_6078.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_6084.JPG
    IMG_6084.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 417
  • IMG_6082.JPG
    IMG_6082.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 373
Very nice job...

I too picked up this kit, along with the falcon... I haven't started work on the T-70 yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the falcon, while simple, the kits are more accurate than I expected, and a wash really transforms them...

I've been thinking of trying to use the force for change T-70 for my reference, and am trying to figure out my approach... Did you paint before or after assembly?

*Edit* Did you use acrylics on the ship itself? or just the pilot?

Last edited:
@mcusanelli : Very well done! :) Too bad you didn't use the electronics. I'm waiting for the Level 2 version since this has better proportions and is much closer to 1:48 scale. However, I too find it a bit weird that the new kits do not come with a pilot figure since all the previous ones did.
@Gnar Gnar Jinn : I'd love to see some pics of your (washed) Falcon! :)

Thanks guys! I had to scrap the electronics to get the BB-8 dome out, and once I stared cutting apart the cockpit, the whole thing got wrecked anyway. It did sound cool though! Back in the day, if the MPC X-Wing had this feature I would have loved it! I only use acrylics, and the Apple Barrel and Folk Art paints are the best I've ever encountered, and are very inexpensive, and airbrush beautifully, stick well to plastic, and even can be applied with a make-up sponge. That's what I did on the bottom fuselage where I filled it in, and on the laser cannon holes.....I cheated on the rest, and used washes of black directly onto the white plastic. I'll seal the whole thing with Micro-scale Clear Flat once I do a little more weathering. And the lack of a pilot was disappointing - but considering how little room there was in the shallow cockpit, he would have looked bad anyway...Kinda like the MPC Snowspeeder pilots!

Marcel,
You know, I keep looking at pics available on the web of the T-70, and I can't see where the lines of this kit are wrong....Maybe it's my eyes! Hell, I have to wear 2 pairs of glasses to see the small parts and to do the pilot, but I think it's pretty close. The only thing I see is the thickness of the cannons, obviously thick so kids (or me!) won't break them....Can you tell me what I'm not seeing? I'm going to get the level 2 kit also, can't wait.

It looks so much better with a great paint and weathering job. Nice work!

I'm holding out for the level 2 kit as well, but I may pick one of these up if cheap enough to grab the electronics from it

First of all, the Level 1 kit is smaller than the Level 2 one. In addition, judging from the pics on the Revell home page the Level 2 is sleeker, has finer details (most prominently featured with the guns) and the proportions are fairly dead-on compared to the "real" thing. Here are the images for you to compare:

sources: http://revell.de/_swSplashContent/product_images/sw-level2/poes-fighter-level1.png
http://revell.de/_swSplashContent/product_images/sw-level2/poes-fighter-level2.png

I don't know if it is the perspective of the shots taken but to me the Level 2 version looks much better than the Level 1 one. Too bad that they did not put the electronis into them, too. :)

It would be great to see some comparison pics of the two.

Regarding that comparison picture, I wonder even more what Revell thinks of us modelers. They are almost two individual designs.

Someone should explain to them the terms "model", "accuracy", "proportions" and "details". According to those images, Revell doesn't seem to know their meaning.

A sentence from their website:
"For almost 60 years now Revell has stood for unique expertise in the development and making of true-to-the-original plastic model kits." (http://www.revell.de/en/company/about-us.html)

:confused

Thorsten

Gnargnar,
That is awesome! I'm absolutely getting one!
Marcel,
Thanks for the info on the two models, for some reason, and I do think it is me, my copy doesn't seem as stumpy as the pic from Revell......Could the pics be of a prototype of some sort? I may just be dense!

I think my level t-70 looks better proportioned than the one in the pic as well.

It's funny though, I swear the level 1 kit for the falcon is more accurate than the higher level kits. :D

First of all, the Level 1 kit is smaller than the Level 2 one. In addition, judging from the pics on the Revell home page the Level 2 is sleeker, has finer details (most prominently featured with the guns) and the proportions are fairly dead-on compared to the "real" thing. Here are the images for you to compare:

sources: http://revell.de/_swSplashContent/product_images/sw-level2/poes-fighter-level1.png
http://revell.de/_swSplashContent/product_images/sw-level2/poes-fighter-level2.png

I don't know if it is the perspective of the shots taken but to me the Level 2 version looks much better than the Level 1 one. Too bad that they did not put the electronis into them, too. :)

It would be great to see some comparison pics of the two.

I have a level 1 and looking at the level 1 pic you posted, the real thing in person looks much longer and more like your level 2 pic. They may have some slight proportion difs but all in all look pretty close.

I have a level 1 and looking at the level 1 pic you posted, the real thing in person looks much longer and more like your level 2 pic.

Thanks for the info on the two models, for some reason, and I do think it is me, my copy doesn't seem as stumpy as the pic from Revell......Could the pics be of a prototype of some sort?

Hum, maybe you are right. Too bad I don't have access to the models yet. There is absolutely NO shop selling them anywhere online. Nothing on e**y, a****n, my local model retailers, nothing even on the Revell main page. I guess there is some sort of preliminary home order shopping ban. So I can only judge from the pictures Revell has given... It could be a different lense used for the pics but IMO it would not make much sense to put pictures of out-of-shape models on the main page. Strange. Very strange.
unsure.png

It's funny though, I swear the level 1 kit for the falcon is more accurate than the higher level kits. :D

INDEED!!! :) That fact can be seen in Revell's product pic. Thank you very much for the pics. Your weathering adds A LOT to it. :thumbsup Now it is very hard for me not to skip it... :D

Is there only the engine sound or are there any other sound effects for the Falcon?

It is a real shame that they went the easy route and took the old big easy-kit Falcon for the Level 2. I had so many hopes for a new accurate mold and was so disappointed when I saw the pics on Force Friday night. It is really a missed opportunity because with some work they could have delivered a really good large and accurate rendition of the Falcon. The small one proves that they CAN..! :unsure

Seeing those comparison pics vs the original poster's pics it does indeed seem there is a difference between the level 1 kit pic on Revell's page and the actual level 1 model.

I wonder if that level 1 pic they are using is an earlier prototype. The actual level 1 kit sure seems to be sleeker and longer like the Level 2 kit

I used to work in house for a small toy company, doing prototype models and sculpts. It was a very small group in a small office, so we all saw many aspects of how things worked. I remember that photos of new product needed to be done waaaaay ahead of time and many times, pics of cobbled together models of the at that time unavailable test shots would make it into adds and catalogs, so many times before we ever got a test shot of parts! i know it was long ago, but I wonder if that kind of thing still happens. Who knows! A big company with lots of product to get done, presure from licensors, and believe me, the headaches from licensors can be hell to deal with - Sometimes their decisions lead you to believe they don't know what the hell they're doing, and the people making the product look stupid in the end. I worked for one LARGE company once, and a whole line of toys that marketing thought was great, got pushed into production, even though everyone knew it was crap. the line failed, they lost millions, and of course they fired the R &D team who made the prototypes - Somebody had to be blamed! I really don't think Revell thinks anything negative about modelers, in fact, I think that a lot of decisions that are made on some of these models are out of their hands. To me, they are still a great company, and you have to look at the kits yourself and make your own decisions about what's worth your modeling efforts.
I'm glad you liked my photos, thank you for the kind words, by the way, it means a lot to me. As a side note, i've been building / modifying th Revel Falcon, the one everyone hates....Got it at walmart on clearance, couldn't stop my self. It really is a very nice kit - Great detail, and once you lower the side walls, it looks like a whole different model, so i think I'm might post some pics of that project next.

This kind of thing happens all the time... I see it constantly on TV's, Monitors and other electronics. Saw it this week even! With most manufacturing in China, often times the product managers and marketing teams never see the final product in person until the first production shipment across the sea!

Hum, maybe you are right. Too bad I don't have access to the models yet. There is absolutely NO shop selling them anywhere online. Nothing on e**y, a****n, my local model retailers, nothing even on the Revell main page. I guess there is some sort of preliminary home order shopping ban. So I can only judge from the pictures Revell has given... It could be a different lense used for the pics but IMO it would not make much sense to put pictures of out-of-shape models on the main page. Strange. Very strange. http://www.therpf.com/images/styles/smilies/unsure.png

INDEED!!! :) That fact can be seen in Revell's product pic. Thank you very much for the pics. Your weathering adds A LOT to it. :thumbsup Now it is very hard for me not to skip it... :D

Is there only the engine sound or are there any other sound effects for the Falcon?

It is a real shame that they went the easy route and took the old big easy-kit Falcon for the Level 2. I had so many hopes for a new accurate mold and was so disappointed when I saw the pics on Force Friday night. It is really a missed opportunity because with some work they could have delivered a really good large and accurate rendition of the Falcon. The small one proves that they CAN..! :unsure

the Level 1 Falcon has 3 sound effects: engine sound, proton torpedoes firing, and blasters. It also has the engine lights when the sound are activated.

Chris

Recently got the Poe X-wing, have to say it looks quite better than that catalog photo. Proportions seem a little closer to the level 2, but it definitely suffers in the engines 'and laser canons. Still, not bad for practice I suppose.

Here's a photo of it assembled out of the box. Going to tear it back down and see if I can mod the canons and do a little paint job...

uploadfromtaptalk1442361937633.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442361964301.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe my eyesight isn't playing tricks on me after all! You guys see it too. That catalog shot has to be of a mock- up. I'm starting to like the look of Poe's X-wing, didn't like the colors, but they're growing on me. I do think the landing gear suffered from making it retractable / removable. But i almost never build a 'flyin' machine' with it's gear down, so the parts went into the vault. The plastic on the cannons seems to be a bit like vinyl, but I was able to drill into it easily to pin them, and Lock-Tite superglue worked well on them. In retrospect, the barrels are a bit thick, and would look better if some wire were substituted. I look forward to seeing what you do with your kit!

To me, they are still a great company, ...

There is a reason why I am a "Revell-Fan"..! ;)

Thank you very much for your infos. Meanwhile I do think that they have indeed put a mockup on their site (which caused A LOT of .. well, I'd say, "not very positive" response from modelers all over the world). Agree on the landing gear, but remember how many scratchbuilt an lg for their Revellogram Viper since it came with none. I like having the opportunity to display my model in different ways (even though some of them SCREAM to be shown in action; Viper and X-Wing look better in flight, the Falcon may sit on Bespin's landing platform, too - IMO ;) ). I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back