RESEARCH: X-WING CONTROL STICK

What do you guys think of this?

Found it here: Hand Truck Grip, PK 2

46J866_AS01

Possible, soes the diameter seem correct?
Most hand cart handles Im familiar with may be a tadd small in diameter for a control stick but it is possible.

Possible, soes the diameter seem correct?
Most hand cart handles Im familiar with may be a tadd small in diameter for a control stick but it is possible.
Website says the bar diameter is 1.25". Looks good to me. I originally thought it was around 1.5" but this could be correct. These are pretty cheap so it wouldn't hurt to grab one or two and look at it in person

BTW,
I know its a bit off topic
... but I will never look at that scene again in the same way.... knowing that Garven Dreis, Red Leader, --went on his attack run wearing sandals!
I guess if you are going off on a "one-way" suicide mission, ; you might as well be dressed comfortably while doing it!
;)

Last edited:
Website says the bar diameter is 1.25". Looks good to me. I originally thought it was around 1.5" but this could be correct. These are pretty cheap so it wouldn't hurt to grab one or two and look at it in person
you may be right... just speculation on my part
I have a few real vintage bits of flight/control equipment laying around including an old collective control arm.
it was just a hunch on my part there's no reason why it couldn't be 1.25"

Progress, with preliminary potato prints of the item used for the grip.

I've not done any full-on research of the part yet but it's a Martin Baker ejection seat accessory - a switch to trigger the popping of an aircraft's windows just before ejecting. What I need to research is where this part is located. As far as I know I think it may be found down by a pilot's right-side knee on the outside of the ejection seat - I may be wrong there though.

The tube under the grip turns out to be the thread on the post of the switch.

Attachments

• 101_4733edit1.JPG
    101_4733edit1.JPG
    881.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 101_4738edit1.JPG
    101_4738edit1.JPG
    767.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 101_4737edit1.JPG
    101_4737edit1.JPG
    1,008 KB · Views: 170
  • 101_4741edit1.JPG
    101_4741edit1.JPG
    894.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 101_4742edit1.JPG
    101_4742edit1.JPG
    997.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 101_4743edit1.JPG
    101_4743edit1.JPG
    500.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 101_4748edit1.JPG
    101_4748edit1.JPG
    980.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 101_4750edit1.JPG
    101_4750edit1.JPG
    878.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I'll measure it all up tomoz and then we will have a slightly better idea. I say 'slightly' cos I can't think how they attached this part to what ever is under it acting as the 'column'. I think your grip idea may do it, finishing it off nicely with one as the column and one under the calculator - cool!

Check out the Lando Communicator thread - the little sensor on the back of the Permamatic is on the side of it!

Now, I wanted to ask Dustin if he could take another shot of his permamatic sensor on the calculator. In the screen shot I only see 5 rows of lenses and the permamatic has more right? It also looks like it has a curved surface, compared to the white switch lenses behind it.

I'm wondering if these are optical illusions, since we have a confirmed part from the camera in the trilogy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 3.10.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 3.10.37 PM.png
    962.6 KB · Views: 139
Hi gents.
Great thread. Is this project complete now? Any images of the final product to show?

I came across this thread while researching my own project, a full-scale X Wing build. I'd often wondered what the control column looked like and had always pictured a two-handled thing but I may've confused that in my mind with the TIE fighter controls.

There's a lot of useful material here, thank you very much for sharing it all.

Jim.

Hi gents.
Great thread. Is this project complete now? Any images of the final product to show?

I came across this thread while researching my own project, a full-scale X Wing build. I'd often wondered what the control column looked like and had always pictured a two-handled thing but I may've confused that in my mind with the TIE fighter controls.

There's a lot of useful material here, thank you very much for sharing it all.

Jim.

Not quite yet, we are close. Waiting for more info on the piece that is the handle and I don't think any of us have that part yet. There are a few small details still up for debate.

Some pics with basic measurements. I've not worked out 'how on Yavin' this was all stuck together as the switch grip is a fairly hefty chunk of near solid metal, dropping it would hurt lol! There's nothing substantial under the threaded area to really grab hold of to fix it to a column. Perhaps the hand was holding it all in place - very odd.

So, pencils, paper, AI assisted probability super computers at the ready.... aaand....

Attachments

• GripCompEdit1.jpg
    GripCompEdit1.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 101_4752edit1size1.jpg
    101_4752edit1size1.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 170
  • YWingGripSize1Bcomp1.jpg
    YWingGripSize1Bcomp1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Some pics with basic measurements. I've not worked out 'how on Yavin' this was all stuck together as the switch grip is a fairly hefty chunk of near solid metal, dropping it would hurt lol! There's nothing substantial under the threaded area to really grab hold of to fix it to a column. Perhaps the hand was holding it all in place - very odd.

So, pencils, paper, AI assisted probability super computers at the ready.... aaand....
Ok, so the ribbed section is just threads on the bottom. So that's something we don't have to worry about any more. We can't see it from underneath so I doubt we'll ever know how or if it's attached. I still think there is something attaching it, but I'm not that concerned with finding the exact part for that since it's not seen.

Thanks for the measurements. Any leads on getting one?

Gents, slight thread drift but do any of you know what the real identity is of the round, roughly baseball-sized thing on the left-hand side panel of the cockpit? I've seen a cockpit images describe it as an "accelerometer" but was wondering what it's real identity is.

Also, the telescope-like object on the instrument combing right-hand side. Looks like a modern-version of an old biplane gunsight.
Any idea what they used for that thing? Both circled in red below:

1606830277547.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back