Request for reference, discussion. Prequel and clan sabers.

awesome pics :)
was that Hero lightsaber machined brass entirely?? or is the body resin? there are some scratches in the paint and it looks like oxidized brass, not the light tan resin they used for all the cast. It also looks pretty clean, so is this completely machined, and possibly out of brass? The knurled buttons also look like brass.

I think the emitter piece is mixed aluminium and brass, the knurled buttons and bottom piece on the pommel are metal but the rest is resin, thats how the hero versions of the clan sabers were made except for Revenge of The Sith when they experimented with metal ones but those were essentially the emitters and pommels attatched to plain metal tubes.

so, you think that this is resin under those scratches?:
1698521519599.png

I'm not sure either, but it looks dark for the resin they usually used and looks like oxidized brass to me.
Since they seem to have machined the neck part out of brass as well, it would make some kind of sense.

No real proof there, but it got me thinking about the Fifth element props from the same time period, the multipass was also machined brass painted with the same kind of flaky silver paint. I don't know, maybe prop makers/machinist at the time enjoyed machining brass?

It could be that tan resin, gray primer, etc.

The clan saber bodies have a notably squashed appearance... rounded corners and edges, it's weird. There are definitely lathing marks but I believe the material.. whatever it was... was too easy to round off, compared to the brass neck.

This cast is good enough to see the original lathing marks, check out the edges (ignore the bubbles)
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 3.38.45 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 3.38.09 PM.png

that is so weird if this is resin! I'm so confused!
So they did a lathed master from a material that we don't know. Then they cast it to create this hero with a possibly resin body and all metal greeblies. Then they cast that resin/metal hero to do other sabers with resin bodies/buttons/end cap but metal emiters.
that is so weird!
I would assume that this Hero here with metal buttons and end cap would also have the original lathed body since they cast it (clay residue)

Do anyone know of the existence and material of the actual lathe masters for the prequel sabers? how they were made and what they became? I have never seen anything else than resin bodies except in this instance where I'm not sure.

Sorry, I'm going to go back to my multipass comparison just to post pics for people to check if they think this could be similar.
The photo for the multipass is of better quality, but I think it looks kind of similar.
1698522878099.png

1698522891324.png

edit: I mean, i'm also going in the brass direction because although I'm not sure of it myself, I have heard people say that the Anakin episode 3 skinnyflex was also machined brass. all curious!

edit2, sorry! BTW, the rectangle leds used on the prequel sabers were also used on a lot of 5th element props, including the multipass. Just a fun fact I guess but it also goes to show that this was a similar period and there was similarities in the props.

Last edited:
They likely created a master from wood or metal to create a hero which was then moulded to create the entirely resin versions that we've seen at auction.

I think they used metal. Which one I don't know.
but those faceted artifacts at the bottom of the grooves on the luminara are something that happens with metal on a lathe when you go too far too quickly and the lathe vibrates:
1698523379342.png

and brass is particulartly prone to that lol. But yeah, I have no idea what metal they actually used!

good information on the lathing artifacts! I've only seen that on the old Obi Wan stunts and that was from the vertical lines in the walnut wood grain or whatever

So, another thing to clarify. There were multiple similar parts used on many sabers. The stacked washer emitter one, the Maul and a couple others all shared almost the same body part. Some may have been "edited" but it looks to me they made 2-3 master parts and made molds of different lightsaber bodies with different combinations of them. These would be the "Hero" hilts as we have seen them.

I think they used metal. Which one I don't know.
but those faceted artifacts at the bottom of the grooves on the luminara are something that happens with metal on a lathe when you go too far too quickly and the lathe vibrates:
View attachment 1755962

and brass is particulartly prone to that lol. But yeah, I have no idea what metal they actually used!
It can happen when machining plastic as well. It has to do with how the tool hits the material and produces a vibration. If the tool is too low to the piece, it can skip.

I think I have seen that earlier in the thread but, why not wood ?
Those machining artefacts can also be found on lathed wood, many props were made out of that material, much simplier to work with compared to metal or plastic.
Back in 1999 TPM books mentionned wood was used in lightsaber props creation.

They're really two different horses. Guabe is doing metal sabers that are beautifully engineered for FX. I'm doing plastic and metal warts and all meant to copy the original hand props. So, I don't really see them as in competition with each other. (And frankly, I'd hate to ever find myself in competition with Guabe as his modeling skills and eye for detail are second to none!)

They're really two different horses. Guabe is doing metal sabers that are beautifully engineered for FX. I'm doing plastic and metal warts and all meant to copy the original hand props. So, I don't really see them as in competition with each other. (And frankly, I'd hate to ever find myself in competition with Guabe as his modeling skills and eye for detail are second to none!)

I have no doubt that both projects will be excellent.

...but I'll probably skew more toward the more accurate, mixed-media versions.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back