Remember The Time by Michael Jackson

Hurray the red oval flat back acrylics came and the size is perfect! Here they are balanced on the costume...

DSC08359.jpg

DSC08360.jpg

DSC08361.jpg

DSC08362.jpg

Last edited:
I slimmed down that undershirt, and I was going to fuss with adding a zipper so that the neck would fit better but I really have no time to mess with it anymore. I finished adding the jewels to the golden part of the MJ outfit....and also shortened the wings by a bit so now the fit is better. The only thing I'm really upset about but I will live with it is that the wings cross over the opposite way because when I glued down the center cardboard to prevent creasing the foam, I did not look at the reference photograph. I don't think anyone but me will notice....so instead of the left wing going over the right wing, it goes under the right wing. Oh well...must push on.

The fitting went well--there was only one child that could barely get into her dress because the fabric I purchased did not have as much stretch...or the way I sewed it, the stretch was vertical not horizontal...so I will have to re-do that dress. I am taking a shortcut and going to re-sew the small dress into the queen's outfit. I just have to extend the skirt with some gorgeous leftover fabric I found.

I am a collar-making machine! I need to make one dozen...so glad that the 2 yards of vinyl was able to produce this many collars. I will have to make the king and queen's collars more spectacular than everyone else's...

DSC08369.jpg

DSC08380.jpg

Brandon, who will be playing Magic Johnson's part shall wear this collar, which includes chimp hieroglyphs that I drew out with a glue gun. I used the leftover jewels I had from MJ's outfit, and found some beaded trim in my stash that I probably won't use anyway...

DSC08381.jpg

DSC08382.jpg

Wow...so...11 more collars to go! I am going to draw random Egyptian hieroglyphs with the glue so that will minimize the number of jewels we have to use.

Ran out of gold spray so I will see if I can find some buckles in addition to the spray when I go to the fabric store.

Oh..this photo is so wrong. I'm going to have to make one with gorilla hieroglyphs!
DSC08383.jpg

Last edited:
Queens bracelets and the collars which still need the jewels added on:

DSC08387.jpg

DSC08386.jpg

Gold spray at an auto supply store was only $7.50 for 11 ounces. At Michael's it was $6.50 for 8 ounces. I also did an even exchange for some glue sticks that were the wrong size. Glad that Michael's finally carried the long glue sticks so that saves time with reloading.

Last edited:
Queen's collar. Again, patterns are drawn with hot glue. The beading is from old curtains that used to hang at my old house. I will use the fabric from the curtain for the extra kids they sprang on me.

DSC08392.jpg

Man, I wish I'd seen this thread about three months ago. My friend owns Michael's costume from this video (given to him by the King of Pop himself). Now he's in Isreal working on a movie and won't be back for a few months. I was at his house about 3 months ago and he showed me the beast. It's beautiful in real life. I'll see if he has any pics on his laptop with him.

I would love to see more photos of that if you have any!

I am slowly chugging along with these costumes. I ordered side release snap hooks, and I will use those to hold the MJ wings in place under the arms. I will also wait for those to be delivered before I attempt the belt...I think it will make life easier than futzing with the belt system I was thinking of...

This is what's left of my list to do:
17 pairs of bracelets
17 pairs of arm bands
17 pairs of anklets
Queen's outfit
King's top
MJ pants
8 headdresses
6 belts
MJ belt
2 outfits for soldiers

So annoyed with myself--the curtain fabric I accidentally cut too small so that I did not have enough room for the waist, so I had to switch gears and fit that for the king. Luckily Ashton is super tiny. I just made these fat shorts that I trimmed with gold fabric.

Updated Ashton's collar. I did not like the first one I made, so I peeled off the design, added bling and hot glue. I still had to cover the hot glue with spray paint, so I masked off the plastic jewels with wet tissue paper and peeled it off as soon as I sprayed the gold down. Crazy, but it worked....I figured that I did not have to peel anything off this way so that I avoided any accidental removal of the paint had I used some kind of tape to mask off the jewels. I am thinking that hot glue would have also worked with the design on the king's crown...
DSC08424.jpg

DSC08425.jpg

DSC08426.jpg

I need to find some kind of bead work to hang down the collar, which is why it looks kind of blah now.
DSC08427.jpg

And now Ashton wants me to make a skirt instead of the fat shorts for the king to wear...so I will try to do that today.

The macaroni thing is BRILLIANT, oh my god. Great work dude, this is really amazing stuff. I love this sort of creativity!!

These costumes are still sitting on my shoulders. The total number of children have crept back up to 20. It was delusional of me to think they were going to be much less. I have 5 more main costumes to sew up methinks...then I have 18 pairs of anklets, arm bands, wrist bands to sew. I am just going to make simple tubes out of stretch fabric...but that is still 108 pieces of costumes I need to make.

Yay I am almost done with these costumes. I get to take photos of the kids in them soon. I will post the best ones. I only have the belt for the MJ outfit--and the codpiece left to do. I am dropping off the costumes today except for the MJ outfit cause that's not exactly done.

Here is a photo of the king and queen. Too bad my friend forgot to add their arm bands and Ashton's royal sash. Anyway, so happy these costumes turned out nicely.

BRIGHTFUTURES2012192_crop.jpg

This is the costume with the chimp hieroglyphs. I slapped together the spear. My friend forgot to add the belt with loin cloth, the gold wrist bands and the headpiece.

BRIGHTFUTURES2012122_crop.jpg

Last edited:
Today was the day of the show. My god it was like herding cats backstage with costume changes. I only saw a snippet of Remember the Time from stage right. After the show was over, this act held the most attention. The kids were amazingly perfect onstage. Not everyone got every single piece of costume on--some went out to the stage incomplete,but there was so much pressure to get them out onstage on cue. What a relief it's over. Going through the videography of it now. It was really spectacular.

The amount of work you put into this is amazing.. I hope they appreciated the effort you put in! The costumes turned out great.. LOVE the macaroni headpiece

Edited to remove the link. My friend wants to wait a few days before I can make it available.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back