REF PICS OF THE AT-AT

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
stonky wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Wow - the snow is great! How are you doing it? Clearly it's more than just paint.

stonky
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Thanks!

It's very simple! It's just flat white acrylic hobby paint mixed with baby powder to make it nice and thick. It's applied with a small brush on edges and such, on the larger parts like the feets I used a make up sponge to dab it on.

Steve.

Looking god my friend! (as always)
I saw that some of the parts on the feet´s looks excellent
icon_wink.gif

I´ts going to be one nice puppy when it´s done!!

Tobbe.

This is my first posting to this website and I am truly amazed by the research and hard work you guys are doing. I've been stationed overseas for 3 years and have just now started getting involved in studio scale modeling. I've ordered Rolando's tie bomber and the CC x-wing, but would like to try my hand at studio scale. However, I don't think that I'm ready to start from scratch just yet and would like to try starting with at least a base. On that note, I'm interested in knowing who the mysteries maker is of the AT-AT you guys are working on. I have the SMT model, but from what has been said it doesn't look like it is going to be helping me much and is definitely not accurate. I'd appreciate it if someone can help me get in touch with the maker of the kit so I can start on what looks to be a very expensive hobby.
Thanks!
Isel

Welcome swfan,

From my understanding, many here are starting with the SMT kit and are doing some heavy modifications to bring it closer to what we saw on screen. As for the TIE Bomber and CC xwing that you had mentioned, I thought that they WERE studio scale (give or take an eighth of an inch).

stonky

Swfan, both the CC X-wing and the Rolandos TIE bomber are studio scale.

Stonky, were not rebuilding the SMT kit. I don't see how that kit could ever be brought to "studio quality", it's just too off, not a singel detail matches the real ones. It also seems very off shape wise and that causes A LOT of trouble.
In my best Yoda voice: - THERE'S ANOTHER!
PM me if you're interested.

Steve.

Steve,
You're weathering on the AT-AT pictures is impressive. Any tips on how you did the realistic weathering. Its beautiful. Did you use pastels, washes, airbrushing, or a combination of them all?
Isel

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

I used everything except an airbrush. First I "washed" the parts with black/brown pastel powder disolved in with spirit. The shading and smudge was done with pastel powder applied with a soft brush. The oil streakes was done with both acrylic washes and pastels.

Steve.

Hey Steve

Do you have any shots of the undercarriage? And what about the main body section, have you done any work on that part?

I'm SOOOO looking forward to starting on mine..... I'm not going to go doing all of the additions you guys have done, partly because the manufacturer has included alot of your suggestions into the kit already, and also because I'm already spread so thin for spare time I don't sleep ....
; ) !!

Hehehe, I still have a hard time imagining how large the kit is going to be.....that and where I might actually put it once I'm done with it!!...

hehehe yeah like that's going to happen any time soon.... too many projects in front of it for a bit...

The undercarriage of the real walkers are very different from the kit. The real ones had a inner structure built inside which held the hip cylinders and the drive trains. The plastic hull (which was hollow) was then just placed over the inner "skeleton". I'm going to try and replicate all this on my build up but in order to do that most of the kit hull has to be rebuilt. For a start you have to cut away the entire bottom of the hull and then custom make the entire inner structure from scratch.

Here's a belly shot of the real deal.

under-structure.jpg

And here's a pic of my hull in it's current state, it's a beutty isn't it!
icon_wink.gif

cuthull.jpg

Steve.

Hehehe, well like I said, I'm just going to build this one straight other than adding some red lights in the cockpit....

yes I know that the red lights aren't really right on, but it reminds me of my favorite version of the ESB movie poster, the Australian release one.... although the lights coming from the ATATs on the poster are blue..... but red looks meaner!! hehehe!!

So what does the undercarriage look like stock in the kit?

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

And here's a pic of my hull in it's current state, it's a beutty isn't it!
icon_wink.gif

cuthull.jpg

Steve.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

ARGH
jawdrop.gif

How could you bring yourself to do that!!!!!!!!

Dont know if i could do that to my model.
Cutting up a vader helmet was one thing....but that.....

Way too scary
icon_wink.gif

Keep up the good work
icon_smile.gif

Nathan

Yeaaa!! I finally got mine!! Only now I've realized I need ALOT of reference pics.... does anyone know of any site or have any they can send my way?? Steve???

Hi! I've been lurking and dipping my toe in here and there about the forum, but you guys have inspired me to dive into studio scale modeling and get a bit more active here (Yes, I left my wallet at the door, and actually read the entire X-Wing thread by way of initiation.)

Well, okay, IÂ’m not quite ready to take the leap into buying $2,700 worth of 1970s kits in search of greeblies (though those who do astound and inspire me), but I do have a CC X-Wing in the, uh, wings. That IÂ’ll build more or less stock (except for some lighting).

What IÂ’d love to tackle after that project is a studio scale AT-AT. This time I want to step up the tempo and attempt some of the mods yaÂ’ll have been recording in this topic. For that I need something. A baseline kit, namely. If someone could drop the gentleman in Canada a line and let him know there is someone eager to make his acquaintance, I would be much obliged.

Anyway, hail met and all merry, and all that...

Last edited:
Run for your lives! NewB on board! But seriously, b4 i started getting into star wars kits i have been modelling for about 4years, and i was wondering who the maker of this kit is, from the posts this is the god like object of my desires and i MUST HAVE IT!
icon_biggrin.gif

could someone post a link or email?

Also, does anyone know of a good ATST kit?

thanx in advance!!
icon_smile.gif

Hello to all. New at the posting here but i have been reading this forum for years.
I myself have number 13 of said AT AT, and may I say that those of you that are posting pics are doing a GREAT job!
John C

I should have new pics up of my re-built hull in a week or two, and let me say that I'm really happy with the result! A lot work, yes, but it was well worth the extra work. Hows everybody else doing? I would love to see some progres pics from the rest of you kit owners!
icon_smile.gif

Happy building!

Steve.

No, No, No, jcuri1, I have number 13 straight from the creator's mouth!! Hehehe!! And several emails to back it up as well!! Hehehe like it really matters, I mean they're not numbered....

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back