Red Skull costume progess (new hi res pics pg 8)

Re: Red Skull costume progess (high res pics page 6!!)

You could use Dupli-color Vinyl&fabric Coating on the hat. I have used it on different fabric types and it covers extremely well and does not stiffen the fabric much at all.

Those pics on p6 are awesome,you look so convincing! You really bring somthing to this costume when you wear it but I just can't place what it is. Over the top 40s comic style evil,I think? Whatever it is,amazing job! And I'm loving the contacts,shame they aren't more comfortable.

Thanks Laam! It is such an amazing transformation..the way that mask fits my face. I like how the mask brow is so defined. Sure, while wearing the thing I gotta get into character a little. I get into zombie-mode...snarl, wrinkle my face...make sure my eyes pierce you. The way it rolls my lower lip over to expose my lower teeth; I cock my jaw from side to side....and push my jaw forward to exaggerate it even more. The mask just comes to life. The contacts..even push it further. I'm just afraid of em rolling behind my eyball and getting into my socket if I'm not careful.

You could use Dupli-color Vinyl&fabric Coating on the hat. I have used it on different fabric types and it covers extremely well and does not stiffen the fabric much at all.

Hmm..might just check into that. Thanks! :thumbsup

I'm just afraid of em rolling behind my eyball and getting into my socket if I'm not careful.

uhhggg I've had contacts do that thing where it seems like it's vanished but it's really stuck on the upper part of your eyeball and you have to get it. Absolute worst thing ever. Be careful!

Saw the movie yesterday! Awesome flick!
Exceeded all my expectations.

At the very last minute, I decided to wear my suit.
The theater was an hour away, it was 99 degrees outside (damn heatwave we're having)...wasn't sure how long I'd be able to go fully suited up.

It was an hour drive.
Two hour movie.
An hour drive back.
Figure prep time and un-suit time; I was in the mask for just under 5 hours.

We cranked the air in the 4Runner the whole time; surprisingly kept very cool.

The theater was nice and cool, no problems with heat OR sweat at all. I stayed VERY comfortable.

Theater folks freaked out when I walked in LOL.
Even the managers came over and talked; took some pics.

I only got one from my kid's cell phone:

redskullpopcorn.jpg

So, by the time I got home to take it all off; I barely sweat in the coat.
The mask however, despite staying naturally stuck to my face very well...did make me pretty sweaty without even knowing it.
When I slid my hand between the chest and neck flap to start getting outo fit...ewww gross :lol

.....then there was the smell. Whoa...Mr Stinkybones.

Gonna have to turn the mask inside out and give it a mild washing down.

After being in that mask for nearly 5 hours - I have two new discoveries;

1) It was pulling my hair without me knowing. Once off, wow, the top of my scalp was in some discomfort.

2) The THICK silicone in the ear areas was pushing on my cartilage..ya know, that little triangle piece right in the front of your ear...yea...made me a little sore.

My wife wants me to abandon the white contact lenses...she thinks I should go darker...deep brown. Since those wouldn't be considered theater/wild eyes, they should be much easier for me to buy locally in prescription strength.

Not really a spoiler; but I noticed in the first ten minutes of the show - I ALREADY have a prop made that is not on the suit!! :thumbsup

Red Skull's car has a chrome Hydra hood ornament....dang near exactly like the shoulder insigna I made! Sa-Weet. Just need a run made and chromed..walla.

I saw the movie three times already and every time it's like your on the screen lol

I posted a while back about the contact idea. I think the white looks good, but natural eye color might look better. Just more menacing where you can see more emotion in someones eyes.
The costume, mask, details etc is right on the money, yours looks just like movie

I had the same problem with contacts when I first got them. Took a few different brands and makes until my optometrist found the right ones for me. The reason mine spun like that is that I have a severe astigmatism so they needed a weight to balance them properly so as not to spin and cause discomfort. I'd mention that to you optometrist and see if that helps any.

Love the popcorn pic. I really think Tom,s mask is better than the actually movie shots.

Might I suggest dropping the insignia on your hat and adding the hydra there like in the movie.

That pic is priceless!

Great job on the costume and the mask is exquisite.

Reminds me of the time I did Darth Maul for the Episode I premiere and on the third showing the makeup was making me sick and I waited until Maul got sliced before I left the theater. As I stood up to walk out I heard a guy in the theater say, "I guess he didn't like that part too much" hahah

whoa...incredible costume it looks EXACTLY the same as the red skull in the movie! I don't know what else to say but i'm blown away buy the quality and the realism and likeness of the movie Red Skull.

Amazing,really like the movie pic and it's great that everyone was cool with you in suit at the movies :) Saw it yesterday,it's great to see Hugo Weaving on the big screen he's an awesome villain.

Great costume!

I think the best cap to wear would be a SS Officer's Black M1934 Service Cap (Schirmmütze). You can pick one up from a company that makes reproduction WWII uniforms for under $200.

The black service caps were dropped in 1938 with the adoption of the M37 uniform in Feld Grau (field gray)

Last edited:

That costume is amazing now I'm going as cap for holloween dads gonna be Bucky and my bro is gonna be red skull lol

Amazing Red Skull and an amazing Iron Man on the previous page. The shot at the bar is pure win LOL

Love the popcorn pic. I really think Tom,s mask is better than the actually movie shots.

Might I suggest dropping the insignia on your hat and adding the hydra there like in the movie.

Great costume!

I think the best cap to wear would be a SS Officer's Black M1934 Service Cap (Schirmmütze). You can pick one up from a company that makes reproduction WWII uniforms for under $200.

The black service caps were dropped in 1938 with the adoption of the M37 uniform in Feld Grau (field gray)

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup

After seeing the show a couple times now, the hat he wears in the first scene looks like this one:

hat.jpg

Granted, the little skull comes off and is replaced by a Hydra insigna...which shouldn't be too hard to make since I have access to the laser cutter. Making the insigna might prove to be another first for me - making it cold cast silver. If I can do that, then I will experiment with the mold for my shoulder insigna since it looks darn near identical to a hood ornament; also seen in that first scene.

A truly great build!

Thanks to decaturvader and mrbungles (and all those who helped!) for paving the way on this costume!

Do any of you guys have the contact info for the maker of this costume?

thanks!

brad

DV, the build looks great. Tom's mask is truly an excellent piece. I would love to have one to display.

Thanks folks! :thumbsup

The shop who made my coat (first folks to make it for cosplay actually) was found on ebay under the seller name musicdress. They have since taken a vacation; haven't checked to see if they are back yet.

There is a new coat maker who popped up on ebay these past two weeks.
The pic of their coat is similar...but something looks off to me. Not sure if it is just their pics or what....something not quite right.

I have a gig this Friday.
Our town puts on a little Celebration for three days. Rides, entertainment, etc..
Decatur Celebration

We get some headliners this year such as Night Ranger and Tiffany (crowd oohs & ahhhs lol)

A local bank is putting on a film festival at the local theater.
Some folks from a midwest garrison of the 501st are coming over to join.
We'll have Vader & some stormtroopers...my son in my Iron Man suit and I will don Red Skull.

Gonna have my photographer with me hopefully and get some good shots.

I prolly won't have time to do anything about my german hat..been pretty spun up with work and all. :unsure

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back