Red Skull costume progess (new hi res pics pg 8)

decaturvader

Sr Member
I had never been a huge Capt America fan; or followed Red Skull for that matter.
Sure, I knew who they were, had a Mego Capt. A figure as a kid..but that's bout it.

I knew the movie was coming out this summer, didn't really follow much about it other than some pics posted here regarding what the set looked like and sneak peeks of the Capt A costume.

I started watching mrbungle's thread on his Red Skull sculpt.
It interested me; I had seen the same promo pic of Hugo in the Red Skull outfit and he indeed looked incredibly evil....well done.

As Tom's sculpt progressed, and I saw the first pull - I said to myself I had to get one if it was in my budget. In that far corner of my mind, I started wondering about the black leather trenchcoat and if I could build one that was similar (I am no seamstress by any stretch of the imagination, but can work a machine a little).

Well, I ended up ordering the mask.

I started looking online for cheap trenchcoats...thought about buying two of them. One to be the base, and the second to be used for cutting up and making the decoration pieces and colar. Then find some assorted buttons as stuff at Jo-Anns...and call it a day.

In the relatively short timeframe I pondered making my own coat, I found an eBay seller. They were from China and make a lot of cosplay costumes. I had been following them a little anyway since I considered getting their Selene outfit for my wife and they have pretty good feedback.

I started talking to the seller via email about the idea of making it for me. Based on the complexity of their other suits, I could only assume price range would be around $150.

The builder only had the two pics I supplied them and took a bit of effort to get em to do it.
I gave a fairly broad artistic license to the builder - didn't need to be screen accurate, just similar.

This all started around May 24th and I received the coat June 4th!

Well - for the money, it exceeded expectations.
It's not perfect; I have some things to fix/redo to suit me...but from the drawing board to in-hand in under two weeks...not too bad.

The material is pretty thin. The whole coat weighs less than 5lbs I think.

The coat consists of several pieces:
Main Coat
Skirt-thing with shoulder straps
Wrist straps (4)
Belt
Fake shirt Collar
Gloves

They did some detail work on the belt - but....yeaa...it is coming off as soon as I get my pewter buckle. Really poor Hydra logo...cut out with exacto knife or something...painted grey...yuck.

They did send two shoulder patches...umm yeaa....not even good enough for a kiddie costume they are sooo freaking cheap and poorly done. They are not seen in the pics because they came seperate from the coat...I am supposed to peel off some tape and apply them to the coat myself. Umm no.

I supplied a Hydra logo to a fellow member here, and he is doing a JY run of patches that should do quite well.

The coat is HOT. Ohh my goodness, does it hold the heat in. Not exaclt y sure what to think of it once I get outside and sweat a bit. I plan on wearing my black compression suit to pull the heat off my body and keep my skin seperate from the coat.

I also plan to don my Darth Vader pants and my Vader boots.

The coat also has a pretty strong odor. Not sure if it is some sort of dye used or what...but my goodness...pretty strong.

The coat is lined with some sort of material...I don't think it is satin...it's more like that white liner in swimming trunks and sticks to your skin.

I'm not disappointed with the coat since I had pretty low expectations to start with...plus, they did the coat for $150, which I gave another $50 for the rush job.

The camera flash was on when my kid took the pics...soooo, yea...it looks a little shiney. In person, the coat isn't real shiney at all.

Should compliment my Red Skull mask nicely.
Here's some pics.

redskull001.jpg

redskull002.jpg

redskull003.jpg

redskull004.jpg

redskull005.jpg

redskull006.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Red Skull costume progess

Wow overall it looks the part and once themechanic gets his patches done it will look great on this. On a 1-5 scale for material/workmanship and detail what would you rate this? 5 being the best.

Do you think the material will hold up? It looks to fit you well and like you mentioned you went a little bigger in the shoulders

It is very Hellraiser-ish

Wow overall it looks the part and once themechanic gets his patches done it will look great on this. On a 1-5 scale for material/workmanship and detail what would you rate this? 5 being the best.

Do you think the material will hold up? It looks to fit you well and like you mentioned you went a little bigger in the shoulders

It is very Hellraiser-ish

Scale 1-5 I'd have to say 3.5.
I dinged the scale because of the shoulder patch stick-on thingies that i won't use...the exacto knife, painted fabric belt buckle.
The weird liner material they used.
The stiching on the liner is weak - I discovered all inside one arm, the liner stitching was never finished...so I'll have to turn the sleeve inside out and see if i can doctor it.
ALL of the decoration button thingies are BARELY attached with just a couple strands of thread. I will need to re-enforce all of them before they start falling off.
The main jacket componants and craftsmanship seem to be really good and solid.

what material is it? It looks pleathery?
not bad for the cash I must admit

they say it is leather - I'm not trained enough to really know the difference. Is there a tell-tale sign I could look for?

The coat kinda needed an instruction sheet to put on :lol
Ya have the main coat - pretty self explainatory.
But then that skirt thing...with shoulder straps sewn on....it does not come apart! There is a spot on the righthand side to undo some velcro...but it just makes the diameter of the skirt larger. Ya know what - the ONLY way I see to put the thing on is to raise my arms above my head, and have a helper skoot it downover me. To take it off, open that velcro and it makes it wide enough to slip down past my hips. Ummm...I am definetely changing this....needs to be easier and one person assembly.

The only fear I have at this point is the collar. Once I get the mask on, I'm not sure the collar will close all the way...guess I will find out in a few days when I can try it out.

I think that looks great considering the price. And you said that it smells strong that is a sign(along with the price) that it is pleather, not leather. Even with the repairs you mentioned it's still looks great

i like the bib idea for the under tunic at the neck. should look great with the mask and all.

decaturvader
costume looks great :) while not screen accurate, it will go amazing with the mask. can't wait to see the entire ensemble in action

i'm thinking of making this purchase myself. if i remember correctly, in the other mask thread, you suggested the collar was not part of the costume. did you have to order that separately?

thanks

decaturvader
costume looks great :) while not screen accurate, it will go amazing with the mask. can't wait to see the entire ensemble in action

i'm thinking of making this purchase myself. if i remember correctly, in the other mask thread, you suggested the collar was not part of the costume. did you have to order that separately?

thanks

thanks.
Yessir, you would be correct.
They were not going to make the collar since it looked too odd to be part of the coat. I suggested just making the dickie-style collar from matching material. In their eBay auction they listed when they mailed my coat - I do not see it pictured. If you order a coat; I'd be sure and ask for it. I didn't ask for gloves, but got em anyway.
The glove are some wet-look lycra or something. Actually fit nice..I might just use em.

I got up early today to get ready for Rockford Airfest -suiting up as Iron Man for the crowd - and my gawd....opened my bedroom door and the coat smell from the other room could be found. My house is 1800sq ft....not good. Is there something I can do??? :confused

Hang a pine tree airfreshner from it. lol. But no really maybe put it in a bag with a few dryer sheets. I have no clue bud.

Can we get some pics of the inside?

yea, I'll shoot some inside pics.
I am bushed after a day of trooping and driving though.
I think before I go to West Virginia this week; I am gonna try and modify that skirt thingie so it actually opens on one side.
I don't like that over the shoulders crap of putting it on LOL

No rush. I think I'm going to order mine minus the liner or possible a different liner and no patches and maybe ask if they can add the mods you mentioned.

Quite impressive to have that accurate a costume ready before the movie even comes out. ;)

For the smell try putting it in a box with a couple boxes of baking soda for a few days.

No rush. I think I'm going to order mine minus the liner or possible a different liner and no patches and maybe ask if they can add the mods you mentioned.

Be easy on Shannon :angel
They were really good to work with.
For the money; I'm not sure if she'll change materials.
You could certainly ask for them to leave the buckle and patches out though. I'll post a pic of the patches they made too so you can see how silly they are.

Quite impressive to have that accurate a costume ready before the movie even comes out. ;)

For the smell try putting it in a box with a couple boxes of baking soda for a few days.

I put the coat in a plastic container right before going to bed. I put a brand new box of of baking soda in there. Got up this morning, and the smell is gone from the house - gonna open the container later tonite and see how the coat smells.

I have been thinking these past couple days about my voice. I need to figure out how to get into character; talk a little rhaspy, maybe a little german accent. I don't want to just come out and say, "hey, whazzup" :lol

oh man ...this is going to be fantastic! great jacket , a friend of mine on here has been thinking of getting one for the red skull suit ... it looks real cool on

Hi man,

The suit's looking awesome.

If you haven't already paid / got the buckle underway I might be able to help out.....I just finished this for a buddy, they'll be cold cast in resin, and It might work out cheaper than having the machine work done.

HYDRABucklemaster.jpg

Any chance of throwing the mask on with the costume and snapping a pic? Looks very decent so far.

Hi man,

The suit's looking awesome.

If you haven't already paid / got the buckle underway I might be able to help out.....I just finished this for a buddy, they'll be cold cast in resin, and It might work out cheaper than having the machine work done.

Thanks for the tip! I am already committed to an interest thread in the junkyard for Bimmer's run. Yours looks realy cool too though!

Any chance of throwing the mask on with the costume and snapping a pic? Looks very decent so far.

Don't have the mask yet bro - mrbungles busted his hump to get mine finished and it is in my town, out for delivery as we speak! I will try some shots tonite of them together.

Praying I don't rip the mask :lol
I will be very patient and not poke or pull it with one finger.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back