Update 12 Jul - I messed up. I got excited.
*NOTE* I posted the update for the Mentats / Fixer project here to the Cap Stash build. My apologies. Here is the link for that project. But they are related. All of the techniques I figured out in that build I will be using here. But, I just wanted to warn you on the sudden change of projects. I will be back on the Cap Stash VERY shortly. AS you can see we're almost done!

Progress -

I HAVE A FINISHED TIN!!! (66) I am beyond excited! I'll show you below. I got back up to the Maker Space and I got to work on them again.

Hyper Careful Setup -
I spent almost 30 minutes setting up the laser and jig this time. I made sure the tins were straight on the jig and locked it into place. This was part of the problem before where the tins designs weren't straight, so I was REALLY careful to get it perfect this time.

Why are we always "Testing"? Just go!! -

To make sure that the tins was in the perfect spot, I decided to test the alignment using one of the many tins we have messed up in this long process. Since the tins are already painted, all we need to laser this time is the silver frame, the outline of the triangle, MED TEK and Mentats, slogan and the quantity. All of these except the frame are at the same power settings so they are on the same layer in LightBurn.

PXL_20230712_210518821.MP.jpg

This is the tin that got messed up a few weeks back on the laser now.

PXL_20230712_211339245.jpg
PXL_20230712_211530664.jpg

It looks like its aligned properly. Look at how the MED TEK went from looking pretty bad in the 1st pic to how good it looks in the last 2!! Time to get laser-ing!!

Sorry, I Got Excited -

1st one I threw in was the tin that the paint peeled off. I was still making sure that it was gonna look ok and figured this one was the best to mess up if it wasn't right.

PXL_20230712_213247477.jpg
PXL_20230712_215210119.jpg

Good thing I did test using this one. I chose not to make sure I was in the dead center of the tin before laser-ing. I thought they were probably "close enough". Turns out...not so much. You can see that the Mentats is a touch off center and the red comes outside the outline. Gives it a kinda 3D effect which is cool but...not what the game texture looks like. If I'm gonna mess up a tin to a learning experience, glad it was one that was already messed up. And now I know. I need to make sure EACH and every tin is DEAD CENTER.

IT'S GO TIME -

We are ready to go for an actual for real-for real tin!!

PXL_20230712_215645016.jpg
PXL_20230712_220015386.jpg

So far, so good. It looks like this one is lined up well and I did a good job finding the exact center!

PXL_20230712_220555348.jpg

Look at how clean that MED TEK came out. I don't know why I like how that looks so much but MAN, it looks sharp!

PXL_20230712_222821636.jpg
PXL_20230712_222832657.jpg

The outline and frame are done. Our 1st tin with ALL the design elements on it....and it didn't mess up!! This looks BEYOND awesome!! It turned out PERFECT!!! I am so stoked about how well this looks!! All the design elements are lined up perfectly. The different techniques I had to use all came together REALLY well. Even the raised lettering and triangle looks really good under the light. They also feel right when you run your finger over it, which didn't happen with the vinyl.

This video really shows off the embossing of the lettering. The back is still off center a bit because it is the back I made several weeks ago, before I figured out how to center the laser really well with each run.

Don't Stop Me Now -

I feel like I'm on a roll so I'm gonna keep going. So up next, I'm gonna throw the last Fixer tin on there and see if I can get a finished one of both tins today! Same thing as before, I get the laser centered and start burning!

PXL_20230712_224158979.jpg

So this one I think I need to make the outline of the Fixer bigger. Even though I got really close, it still doesn't seem like it covered the yellow completely. So I will make the Fixer outline a little bigger before I go back to laser more Fixers.

PXL_20230712_225304854.jpg
PXL_20230712_225311688.jpg

You can see it's just a touch off, but it's not bad enough to scrap the tin. Even with my over the top perfectionism. Haha. I think it is looking REALLY good as well!

Group Photo -

I feel incredibly excited about the progress I made today!! These tins are almost done. A few minor tweaks here and there and I will have them ready to sell. Here is what I was able to leave with today.

PXL_20230712_225458590.jpg
PXL_20230712_225510584.jpg

PXL_20230712_225518080.jpg

What's Next? -

Not much left to do for this project! (Man, that sounds great to say!!)
- I will polish up the Fixer outline.
- I need to go back to Maker Space and put the back of each tin in LightBurn and set the layers and power and all that.
- I should prep and paint some more tins to have them ready to go.
- I will need to age the tins to match the game texture. I have already prepped some age designs in GIMP and put them in my thumb drive. But I will need to throw them into the layers in LightBurn too.
- Make ALL THE TINS!!!!

Thanks for watching so far. I hope you've been enjoying watching me work through this project. Next update will probably be the last for this one... I'm hoping...But probably not. Because... life.

Will this be the end for our tins??

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON

Overly Obsessive Realistic Fallout Cap Stash Build​

Last edited:
Update 12 Jul -

Progress -

I HAVE A FINISHED TIN!!! (66) I am beyond excited! I'll show you below. I got back up to the Maker Space and I got to work on them again.

Hyper Careful Setup -
I spent almost 30 minutes setting up the laser and jig this time. I made sure the tins were straight on the jig and locked it into place. This was part of the problem before where the tins designs weren't straight, so I was REALLY careful to get it perfect this time.

Why are we always "Testing"? Just go!! -

To make sure that the tins was in the perfect spot, I decided to test the alignment using one of the many tins we have messed up in this long process. Since the tins are already painted, all we need to laser this time is the silver frame, the outline of the triangle, MED TEK and Mentats, slogan and the quantity. All of these except the frame are at the same power settings so they are on the same layer in LightBurn.

View attachment 1718787

This is the tin that got messed up a few weeks back on the laser now.

View attachment 1718788View attachment 1718789

It looks like its aligned properly. Look at how the MED TEK went from looking pretty bad in the 1st pic to how good it looks in the last 2!! Time to get laser-ing!!

Sorry, I Got Excited -

1st one I threw in was the tin that the paint peeled off. I was still making sure that it was gonna look ok and figured this one was the best to mess up if it wasn't right.

View attachment 1718811View attachment 1718814

Good thing I did test using this one. I chose not to make sure I was in the dead center of the tin before laser-ing. I thought they were probably "close enough". Turns out...not so much. You can see that the Mentats is a touch off center and the red comes outside the outline. Gives it a kinda 3D effect which is cool but...not what the game texture looks like. If I'm gonna mess up a tin to a learning experience, glad it was one that was already messed up. And now I know. I need to make sure EACH and every tin is DEAD CENTER.

IT'S GO TIME -

We are ready to go for an actual for real-for real tin!!

View attachment 1718815View attachment 1718818

So far, so good. It looks like this one is lined up well and I did a good job finding the exact center!

View attachment 1718825

Look at how clean that MED TEK came out. I don't know why I like how that looks so much but MAN, it looks sharp!

View attachment 1718827View attachment 1718830

The outline and frame are done. Our 1st tin with ALL the design elements on it....and it didn't mess up!! This looks BEYOND awesome!! It turned out PERFECT!!! I am so stoked about how well this looks!! All the design elements are lined up perfectly. The different techniques I had to use all came together REALLY well. Even the raised lettering and triangle looks really good under the light. They also feel right when you run your finger over it, which didn't happen with the vinyl.

This video really shows off the embossing of the lettering. The back is still off center a bit because it is the back I made several weeks ago, before I figured out how to center the laser really well with each run.

Don't Stop Me Now -

I feel like I'm on a roll so I'm gonna keep going. So up next, I'm gonna throw the last Fixer tin on there and see if I can get a finished one of both tins today! Same thing as before, I get the laser centered and start burning!

View attachment 1718831

So this one I think I need to make the outline of the Fixer bigger. Even though I got really close, it still doesn't seem like it covered the yellow completely. So I will make the Fixer outline a little bigger before I go back to laser more Fixers.

View attachment 1718833View attachment 1718834

You can see it's just a touch off, but it's not bad enough to scrap the tin. Even with my over the top perfectionism. Haha. I think it is looking REALLY good as well!

Group Photo -

I feel incredibly excited about the progress I made today!! These tins are almost done. A few minor tweaks here and there and I will have them ready to sell. Here is what I was able to leave with today.

View attachment 1718835View attachment 1718836
View attachment 1718837

What's Next? -

Not much left to do for this project! (Man, that sounds great to say!!)
- I will polish up the Fixer outline.
- I need to go back to Maker Space and put the back of each tin in LightBurn and set the layers and power and all that.
- I should prep and paint some more tins to have them ready to go.
- I will need to age the tins to match the game texture. I have already prepped some age designs in GIMP and put them in my thumb drive. But I will need to throw them into the layers in LightBurn too.
- Make ALL THE TINS!!!!

Thanks for watching so far. I hope you've been enjoying watching me work through this project. Next update will probably be the last for this one... I'm hoping...But probably not. Because... life.

Will this be the end for our tins??

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON

Overly Obsessive Realistic Fallout Cap Stash Build​

Fantastic work.

That is indeed a fantastic job - i love the attention to detail! I scrolled through the Mentats thread and realized that you used the original textures from the game. I didnt know that was even possible and i think i could maybe use that for my projects.

Good that you have access to all the laser cutters and stuff. Good to see some "game prop replicas" ;)

That is indeed a fantastic job - i love the attention to detail! I scrolled through the Mentats thread and realized that you used the original textures from the game. I didnt know that was even possible and i think i could maybe use that for my projects.

Good that you have access to all the laser cutters and stuff. Good to see some "game prop replicas" ;)
Thank you very much!! Yeah, I obsess about the accuracy of my props, so using the game textures as reference to make my own really help! I'm glad my process will help with your projects!! Honestly, that's what I hoped for in writing this blog. That's why I try and go over every step, even the failures, because some part of that might help others down the line!

I know! The Maker Space has been SUCH a huge help with the projects. I'm glad I got into. I highly recommend any makers find the Maker Space closest to them and see about joining!

I wonder if you would be willing to help with a project of mine - a "prop" from a game which is Portal 2. I am 3D printing the parts to build a Sentry Turret and i do have the original 3D model including the textures. I saw that you did some work using graphics from Fallout.

Maybe i will open a new thread for that as i dont want to ruin your thread...

I wonder if you would be willing to help with a project of mine - a "prop" from a game which is Portal 2. I am 3D printing the parts to build a Sentry Turret and i do have the original 3D model including the textures. I saw that you did some work using graphics from Fallout.

Maybe i will open a new thread for that as i dont want to ruin your thread...
I can message you and we can chat about it. If I can't work with you on it, I will def share my knowledge and help in any way I can.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back