Real life true to movie blaster bolt effects

How would you suggest manufacturers do this? Create miniature battery powered lightsabers fired out of spring loaded nerf guns? I guess the bolts would be easy to find lying on the ground, glowing, unlike nerf ammunition in tall grass. It might hurt a lot getting hit with an encapsulated glowing LED tube, though. Somebody will lose an eye, guaranteed.

TazMan2000

If there was a way to cover a foam nerf-like dart in retro reflective material they should ‘glow’ enough in regular light to look impressive when fired.

I remember having Nerf guns bought some years ago for my nephews when they were little that had a built-in strobe light that flashed every time the trigger was pulled. The flash would activate the paint on the foam darts that would allow them to glow. The effect was cooler when it was dark but that's as close to what you're talking about on a mass produced product.

If there was a way to cover a foam nerf-like dart in retro reflective material they should ‘glow’ enough in regular light to look impressive when fired.

There is that reflective tape that is used on vehicles/trailers and clothing. Unsure of how long it will last cycled through a nerf magazine and barrel. But that would only work at night and lighting would only be visible from certain angles of reflected light.

TazMan2000

There could be another way. Each nerf bullet could have a lithium battery with a super bright LED that is spring loaded so that the contact is only made when fired. The G-force of forward travel activates the circuit and when it stops traveling the contact is broken. However, there would be a high environmental impact of lost darts and spent batteries.

TazMan2000

There could be another way. Each nerf bullet could have a lithium battery with a super bright LED that is spring loaded so that the contact is only made when fired. The G-force of forward travel activates the circuit and when it stops traveling the contact is broken. However, there would be a high environmental impact of lost darts and spent batteries.

TazMan2000
That's a good idea!
Our play ball for our dogs lights up when it makes contact with the floor and flashes, a similar internal design no doubt.

Oh what.. no I haven't seen their ball today :D

Last edited:
I’ve seen an airsoft blaster that used a tracer unit to light up the rounds

Also saw a video of a camera effect using a fan blade in front of a laser, but that effect is only visible on camera not to the eye.

What about those glow stick that you see in various concert? Tons of those on Amazon and various colors/sizes:unsure:

Those are almost invisible in daylight, and last a few hours at night. After that the chemical reaction dims significantly. 'Mom and dad' would have to buy several rounds every time the 'kids' would want to play. They are only good for one session then thrown away, so again, a very high environmental impact.

TazMan2000

How would you suggest manufacturers do this? Create miniature battery powered lightsabers fired out of spring loaded nerf guns? I guess the bolts would be easy to find lying on the ground, glowing, unlike nerf ammunition in tall grass. It might hurt a lot getting hit with an encapsulated glowing LED tube, though. Somebody will lose an eye, guaranteed.

TazMan2000
Something quite like that. However, a couple points. First, no batteries. Batteries are problematic. Better to use a circuit that can be charged for enough power to drive each shot. Completely self contained, with no switches or need to maintain. Insert it into the blaster, which charges and fires the bolt. Pick it up and do it again. Repeat. Batteries are also heavy. My prototype doesn't weigh much more than a regular nerf dart, and I'm working on making it lighter yet.

One version.

Attachments

• 69007294854__C645D997-42F5-475D-9DA9-C60BAA414FA7.JPG
    69007294854__C645D997-42F5-475D-9DA9-C60BAA414FA7.JPG
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 65
Something quite like that. However, a couple points. First, no batteries. Batteries are problematic. Better to use a circuit that can be charged for enough power to drive each shot. Completely self contained, with no switches or need to maintain. Insert it into the blaster, which charges and fires the bolt. Pick it up and do it again. Repeat. Batteries are also heavy. My prototype doesn't weigh much more than a regular nerf dart, and I'm working on making it lighter yet.

I think you have a great idea, but I think it might be a bit ahead of it's time. What would be needed is a capacitor in each round and other circuitry that would not blow out the LEDs but feed them just enough juice for them to activate and remain lit for a second or two, and turn on right after the trigger pull. Each round would have to have contacts, and be aligned perfectly to the charging system, unless the charging system is inductive, which would need further electronics in each round.

If someone could make a one-off, the next challenge would be to convince a manufacturer that this is a viable idea. That's the REAL challenge. You're firing a spring loaded hard object. I doubt if Hasbro would be game. Would it be used for movies? Would it be easier to add the blaster bolts in post production? Gravity would cause these rounds to drop, which 'lasers' or 'particle weapons' aren't depicted as doing.

TazMan2000

And this thread, ladies and gentlemen, is a testament to why greatness comes to those who dream.

Some look people look at that world, as it is, and say “why?”…other choose to see the world as it could be, and ask, “why not?”

Why have we not figured out a way to hurl projectiles, lit up by internal LEDs, at each other?

It is this audacious goal that will serve to measure the limits of our collective energies.

I say, “Why not…?”

I have a tray of LEDs, a 9 volt battery (untested), super glue, various popsicle sticks, and some assorted rubber bands. Where do we want to start?

5ACDFCCF-028D-4AC6-9BD5-94992376E6B6.jpeg

;)

Last edited:
I think you have a great idea, but I think it might be a bit ahead of it's time. What would be needed is a capacitor in each round and other circuitry that would not blow out the LEDs but feed them just enough juice for them to activate and remain lit for a second or two, and turn on right after the trigger pull. Each round would have to have contacts, and be aligned perfectly to the charging system, unless the charging system is inductive, which would need further electronics in each round.

If someone could make a one-off, the next challenge would be to convince a manufacturer that this is a viable idea. That's the REAL challenge. You're firing a spring loaded hard object. I doubt if Hasbro would be game. Would it be used for movies? Would it be easier to add the blaster bolts in post production? Gravity would cause these rounds to drop, which 'lasers' or 'particle weapons' aren't depicted

If someone could make a one-off, the next challenge would be to convince a manufacturer that this is a viable idea. That's the REAL challenge. You're firing a spring loaded hard object. I doubt if Hasbro would be game. Would it be used for movies? Would it be easier to add the blaster bolts in post production? Gravity would cause these rounds to drop, which 'lasers' or 'particle weapons' aren't depicted as doing.

TazMan2000
Thank you. Yes to your points, for the most part. That's what's in the picture, except for the contact points. As to the real challenge, it isn't. Im not interested in mass producing these. I'm an artist. I love star wars. I want a blaster that looks like a blaster. I want to create the illusion.

Thank you. Yes to your points, for the most part. That's what's in the picture, except for the contact points. As to the real challenge, it isn't. Im not interested in mass producing these. I'm an artist. I love star wars. I want a blaster that looks like a blaster. I want to create the illusion.
Ah, I assumed you wanted this built for the masses.

If you don't want to have springs that turn on the LEDs you may want to go with accelerometers.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back