Real Ghostbusters Samhain headsculpt/costume

Okay so after I picked my jaw off the floor, my thoughts are... fan freakin tastic!! Brings back my childhood watching the cartoon all the time. But not too sure that unless parents in their 30's told their kids about Sam, then they may not know who or what he is. But anyway my point is, GREAT WORK!!

Thanks!

We were actually surprised at Halloween how many kids acually recognised him! (Of course we were also surprised how many of them wanted to hug him, lean on him, or shake his hand.

We had him set up as a prop, and after the winds picked up and knocked him down twice, I stationed myself by him for pics, and to make sure he wasn't taking abuse.

It would have been fun as hell to put him on, and scare the begeezers out of them!

My husband is looking over my shoulder and agrees with me that you've done fantastic work. I love the way that collar turned out.
I'm not familiar with this foam technique, but I think the material might work for something I was thinking about trying. I was waiting for you to make a cast of it, but it looks nice and lightweight the way you did it. Did you just carve the inside once the exterior was shaped the way you wanted it? What is the real name of the foam, so I can look for some?

The foam the head was made out of is standard home insulation foam purchased from Lowe's. (For some reason it is not available in California, but is everywhere else.

You don't want the cheaper "pellet" type of styrofoam, but the finer smooth type. Its usually about $15 for a huge sheet.

I'm not sure if you can tell in the wip images, but the top layers are solid discs, but the ones that made up the rest are all donut shapes, with the centers cut out. While you could carve out all the interior, that would be a lot of messy tim consuming work, and cutting out the centers with a jigsaw was very easy and quick. (Its just a cheap electric hand jigsaw purchasd from Kmart for $15 about 20 years ago!)

They are all glued together with gorilla glue (which was a poor choice) later I switched to elmer's spray craft glue which ids foam safe, and that worked FAR better.

You rough shape the foam with an electric carving knife, and then do the final work with various dremel bits. I also used an orbital sander to rough shape all the pumpkin vertical cuts.

The cowl was made from those large square "puzzel edged" foam floor mats available at walmart, sam's club and harbor freight. I cut that using the dremel saw bit, and then used one of the sanding wheels to round and smooth the edges.

Since that is spray paint safe, I didn't even bother to seal it, but just used cheap rattle can flat black, and orange. (Light dust coats of orange over black look brown, and matched the fabric I used for the outfit.)

I tried to detail a lot of the work in my previous posts.. check through them again, and see if you need any more help.

(People have also sealed that floor mat foam with gesso, and made things that look like they were made from metal or plastic with it.)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Now that I look at the pics again, I see the donuts! I'll have to look around and see where I can buy gesso.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Now that I look at the pics again, I see the donuts! I'll have to look around and see where I can buy gesso.

Look harder.. I'm pretty sure I mentioned a website that had a recipe for it made from white glue and joint compound.

$25 will buy you a 5 gallon container of the joint compond, and a gallon of elmer's white glue. Gesso is always VERY pricey.

Writefast: Thanks!

Look harder.. I'm pretty sure I mentioned a website that had a recipe for it made from white glue and joint compound.

$25 will buy you a 5 gallon container of the joint compond, and a gallon of elmer's white glue. Gesso is always VERY pricey.

Writefast: Thanks!

Hm, I'm looking and don't see it. Could you repost the link?

Paper Mache Clay Recipe | Ultimate Paper Mache

Thats the base site.. that paper mache clay is great stuff! I used it to add Sam's cheekbones, and also to correct some gouges the dremel did while carving.

If you follow some of the conversation, she has her recipe for the gesso. There is also advise on what type of joint compound to buy/not buy. (Mine was premixed, from lowe's, $10 a huge bucket.)

I tried using that shedded newspaper insulation, but presonally, i think the toilet paper approach will give you a smoother less lumpy clay to work with.
A month and a half later, and it appears to be fine for re use in a sealed container.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back