Randy Cooper Star destroyer FINISHED! Page 7

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer NEW PHOTO!!!!

Another update,

Had to slightly enlarged the base for the deflector shields to fit, and made new rings, I also glued all the side trench extensions, I added lots of greeblies to hide a few gaps and give it more texture on a few small side trench extensions as they were too plain compared to the rest of the extensions. Just need to finish a few minor details and it's ready for a coat of primer.

GFollano

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer MORE PHOTOS!!

Any suggestions on how I could add the T-bars post-build? I epoxy'd the damn things on so it'll be tricky at best. :( And what was the size/catalogue number?

Cheers. :)

It's finished and finally ready for painting, I also finished the stand for it.

GFollano

Any suggestions on how I could add the T-bars post-build? I epoxy'd the damn things on so it'll be tricky at best. :( And what was the size/catalogue number?

You can add them but the "T" will sit on the ring, you will have to cut each to exact size all around before glueing, doing it before you just glue and trim excess afterwards.

The "T" I used is Plastruct #90561 3/64" / 1.2 mm. I don't know if they make smaller, I took the smallest they had at the hobby store.

GFollano

I would try and take them off, it would be much easier and worth the try, just tap the ball with something that doesn't damage the plastic, epoxy is brittle and might loosen up, super glue is the best as you just tap it and the parts separate.

GFollano

Wow Gerardo.....what an amazing build and attention to detail. I love it. Good job on her.

Carl

It's finished and finally ready for painting, I also finished the stand for it.

GFollano

Finally got her painted , next is airbrushing all the different grey shades panelling. Also added the tiny antenas on the spheres, small details that makes big difference!

GFollano

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer Panelling!

Finished the upper panelling today,

I started with approx 125 panels but didn't like the look so I ended up adding double the amount
until I was satisfied with the results.

Upper hull alone has over 250 panels, I used 2 main grey colors, Model Master light ghost grey
and Camouflage grey which I then toned everything down using floquil reefer white, which is a warmer white, I'm very satisfied with the effect, in person you can see the different tones, tomorrow will finish the bottom.

GFollano

Last edited:

Hi GF,

You can actually save a lot of time by doing a method called "filter" and or "washing" to create a different tones. Once done, everything can be carefully blended together to create the final effect.

We use this method alot in building scale model airplanes and tanks.

Stunning work you have accomplished nonetheless.

Hi GF,

You can actually save a lot of time by doing a method called "filter" and or "washing" to create a different tones. Once done, everything can be carefully blended together to create the final effect.

We use this method alot in building scale model airplanes and tanks.

Stunning work you have accomplished nonetheless.

Thanks for the tip

I would love to know more, can you please explain how "filter" is done? by "washing" do you mean to bring out the recess panel lines?

GFollano

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star destroyer panelling started!!!

Phew! I'm glad you changed your mind - looks much better. :cool You need to go subtle on this subject I think - less is more. :)

Thanks for the tip

I would love to know more, can you please explain how "filter" is done? by "washing" do you mean to bring out the recess panel lines?

GFollano
What is a filter?
Diluted wash. 5% paint 95% mineral spirits or turpenoid over a flat acrylic finish.

The objective of a filter is to adjust the hue and contrast for certain area only. The idea is to break out the dullness in a single tone camo.

What is a wash?
A wash is like 20% paint and 80% thinner. It is applied over a gloss finish.

You can use a wash for several things
- It can adjust the entire surface color
- To bring out the recess panel lines
- Using a pin wash give you control to bring out detail such as bolts and such.

Here is the sample;

two-1.jpg

If you noticed that the panel right above the gun has different tone of blue. This was done by adding more blue filter. The panels next to it, I add with heavy diluted dark brown wash.

The engine cover doors are done with the same technique.

You see that it breaks up the dull single blue (single) camo, and add interest.

Hope this helps.

Phew! I'm glad you changed your mind - looks much better. :cool You need to go subtle on this subject I think - less is more. :)
Jeez, Eagle, that is incredible. I have to agree with him on the "less is more", GF.

Yes l definetely less is more,

I started with just a few but I realized at this size you needed way more various size panels with smaller ones in between, under 100 per side is not enough for this size model, well that's how I started and didn't like the effect. IMHO You need to have many small, med ones instead of a few big ones to give it scale.

Check out links below for photos of the real model, there's hundreds if not thousands of panels, yes it's 8 foot model but a 3' replica is big enough to add hundres of panels to give that same massive effect.

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/SWstarDestroyer/StarDestroyerLower.htm

http://www.studioscale.com/images/reference/Star Destroyer/Frank Wire/index.htm

GFollano

Last edited:

Less is more depending on how you see it,

For me at this size you need lots of various size panels with a tad more smaller ones in between, this is a big enough model, IMHO under 100 per side is not enough for this size model, I started with just a few and the effect wasn't there.

You need to have many small, med ones instead of a few big ones to give it scale.

Check out links below for photos of the real model, there's hundreds if not thousands of panels, yes it's 8 foot model but a 3' replica is big enough to add hundres of panels to give that same massive effect.

GFollano
I am just going to shush and drool when it is over. Right now, it's like looking at a half finished sculpture. You can tell it will kick some serious butt, but are anxious to see. Keep the photos coming. I am interested in how it will play out.

Yes l definetely less is more,

I started with just a few but I realized at this size you needed way more various size panels with smaller ones in between, under 100 per side is not enough for this size model, well that's how I started and didn't like the effect. IMHO You need to have many small, med ones instead of a few big ones to give it scale.

GFollano
Yep, the bigger the model, the harder to paint. The same way painting a 1/35 scale model compare to 1/16 scale model. Some of the methods had to be reworked.

But from what I can tell from the Cloudster picstures, since the prop master needs to work and paint it fast, they just spray 1 tone color then add darker tone color randomly. Once done, they may just dry brush it over.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back