Randy Cooper Star destroyer FINISHED! Page 7

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star destroyer panelling started!!!

Yep, the bigger the model, the harder to paint. The same way painting a 1/35 scale model compare to 1/16 scale model. Some of the methods had to be reworked.

But from what I can tell from the Cloudster picstures, since the prop master needs to work and paint it fast, they just spray 1 tone color then add darker tone color randomly. Once done, they may just dry brush it over.

I think I will tone down the panels a little more and see how it comes out.

GFollano

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer MORE PHOTOS!!

So what will you put on your home and contents insurance schedule for this?
"1000+ hours worth of SW modelling = priceless"

GF, great work so far. As for the painting, your e-mail to me said you think the panels are too dark? What you can do is paint everything, grab an airbrush and mist over the entire model with the white, or what ever your base color is.
This will tone down the ship and blend everything. This is what ILM did based off of many photos I have of the various models.
Remember you are just misting over it. Dont use a spray can

Dean

I agree with Dean. I've practically done that on all my SS models. I'd just mist with white too. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Dave :)

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star destroyer panelling started!!!

Wow GF,
:eek:eek:eek

fantastic work and the step by step is very fascinating and much appreciated.

Keep the pix coming

GF, great work so far. As for the painting, your e-mail to me said you think the panels are too dark? What you can do is paint everything, grab an airbrush and mist over the entire model with the white, or what ever your base color is.
This will tone down the ship and blend everything. This is what ILM did based off of many photos I have of the various models.
Remember you are just misting over it. Dont use a spray can

Dean

Hey Dean thanks for chiming in,

as you can see from the photos that's what I did, I first airbrushed all the panels then mist everything white with a airbrush, in my case I used white Kryklon primer as the base color, then used Floquil reefer white threw a airbrush to tone down everything, but I think I need to tone it down a little more though, that's why I wanted some inputs.

GFollano

Randy Cooper Star destroyer FINISHED!!!!

Finally finished!!! toned down the panelling which looks much better now.
Now lets go make some room for this baby.

Enjoy!
GFollano

Last edited:
Re: Randy Cooper Star destroyer FINISHED!!!!!

Thats top notch GF, I wish I had the room for one of these. All the destroyer builders like you & Eagle are really an inspiration, great paint jobs & builds.

Nice build there GF.

If I were you, I would mixed black oil color with white spirit heavily thinned and wash it over the model and let it sip over the recess and edges. It will bring the small detail to live.

Nice build there GF.

If I were you, I would mixed black oil color with white spirit heavily thinned and wash it over the model and let it sip over the recess and edges. It will bring the small detail to live.

I don't know if this would apply on this particular model, the recess lines show quite a bit and much more in person, a wash might affect the illusion of scale, the original 8 foot model didn't have a wash, just many scribed lines and panelling which gives scale.

I've seen Randy Cooper's model and you can clearly see he applied a wash and don't like the effect, the ship turned out too greyish and lost some sense of scale.

If you would see a 1.5 km long ship in the sky you would never be able to see dirt, it would look brand new, I live near a airport, when I see a 747 it looks spanky white but when landed you can really see the dirt.

GFollano

I agree with GF - a wash will kill any sense of scale. It really doesnt need it.

RCSD sans wash....
055.jpg

GF that kicks butt!!! looks like it is right from ILM! Dont give it a wash, there is sooo much detail let the natural light work on it!

OH! just e-mailed ya pics of Red 5 progress!
YA HOOOO

Dean

I love following these build ups. You have done a freat job on a great kit. If I had the room and the cash I'd be working on one as well! Anyway, looks fantastic. What's next?:)

Just received mine today:) GF, your thread is another inspiration and big help for my build. :loveThanks for taking the time and effort to post!

Man, that is really sharp. I am really wanting to pick up the Radiant and Tantive... this may have pushed me over the edge.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back