Randy Cooper Star destroyer FINISHED! Page 7

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer

Right...ok then, time to visit the DIY shop....DIY stands for don't involve yourself.. I tell the missus that anyway.

Cheers Gerardo, the pics are a great help and that sander looks such a cool piece of kit I gotta get one.

Phil

Last edited:

Slowly but surely,

Fitting that superstructure especialy the second floor was challenging, as you can see the seems are so tight that no putty is needed, every single part does not fit without sanding quite a bit.

I thought assembling the main hull was the ha part, fitting the head/neck and the second deck requires alot of patienece if you want it to fit nice and thight everywhere.

GFollano

Last edited:

Holy toledo :confused:eek Awesome work Gerardo. This baby should be able to float on water. The fun part is coming up now...the painting. Cant wait to see it.

Carl

Slowly but surely,

Fitting that superstructure especialy the second floor was challenging, as you can see the seems are so tight that no putty is needed, every single part does not fit without sanding quite a bit.

I thought assembling the main hull was the ha part, fitting the head/neck and the second deck requires alot of patienece if you want it to fit nice and thight everywhere.

GFollano

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer NEW Pics p.3

That makes me want one so badly. I wish I had the funds. That is the coolest sci-fi ship of all time for me. Amazing. The illusion of scale is incredible.

Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer NEW Pics p.3

Here's some more progress, little details that make a big difference. added "T" strips to the deflector shields, thinned down by half the lip all around the engine area, so it fits better and is actually more accurtae which was way too thick originally.

I also made accurate engine spacers that go on each extremeties, easier and faster to make new accurate ones than fitting the innacurate ones provided in the kit, sanded and added styrene strip to the belly dome so it sits nice and flush all around. New updates coming soon, I have to slightly enlarge the diameter for the deflectors shield with the added "T" strips.

GFollano

Attachments

• SD engine spacer 1.JPG
    SD engine spacer 1.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Re: WIP Randy Cooper Star Destroyer NEW PHOTO!!!!

FInally got the phtoos up, somehow the "manage attachement" wasn't there when I posted.

Enjoy!

GFollano

Oh ya remember in my first post when I said

"Finally!!! the most difficult and time consuming process of the assembly is out of the way, now the fun and easy stuff begins"

YAH RIGHT!!!! the general fitting only got more challenging.

GFollano

GF you're doing this all wrong................you have to lie to me.............tell me how easy this kit is to build so I will actually draw up enough nerve to pull it out of the carton..........LOL.

Dave :)

GF you're doing this all wrong................you have to lie to me.............tell me how easy this kit is to build so I will actually draw up enough nerve to pull it out of the carton..........LOL.

Dave :)

Dave,

It's not that difficult just time cosuming, once you get your main hull togheter you will be so excited by the size that you want to complete it ASAP.

GFollano

Looking great Gerardo. :) Pmed ya.

Carl

Dave,

It's not that difficult just time cosuming, once you get your main hull togheter you will be so excited by the size that you want to complete it ASAP.

GFollano

Had to fix a major bow problem before final assembly, the tip was off by almost 1/2 inch, there was also a bow in the center, all my panels were straight before assembly, I made sure of that, this occured after all the hull panels were aligned and glued togheter.

Here's how I managed to easily fix the problem, BTW each hull panel is 1/4 " thick, the trench is another 3/4" but still worked like a charm.

I clamped 4 pieces of wood on each side using screws type clamps, tightened clamps until everything was aligned then put the whole ship in a bath of hot water for a few minutes, let it cool down, removed the wood and everything is now straight as a arrow, hope it stays that way though.

GFollano

Last edited by a moderator:

GF, thank you for taking the time to document and share the building process. It sure help us avoid losing sleep and problems during our build.

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

P.S. Maybe the ship building industry can pick up some concept here.:lol

Had to fix a major bow problem before final assembly, the tip was off by almost 1/2 inch, there was also a bow in the center, all my panels were straight before assembly, I made sure of that, this occured after all the hull panels were aligned and glued togheter.

Here's how I managed to easily fix the problem, BTW each hull panel is 1/4 " thick, the trench is another 3/4" but still worked like a charm.

I clamped 4 pieces of wood on each side using screws type clamps, tightened clamps until everything was aligned then put the whole ship in a bath of hot water for a few minutes, let it cool down, removed the wood and everything is now straight as a arrow, hope it stays that way though.

GFollano

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back