Quintesson Cruiser from the 1986 Transformers Movie

hoggworks

Hey all! I've not posted anything here in a long time, as I was using the Facebook Group, but it seems to be gone now? Anyway, I've been working on a model of the Quintesson Cruiser from the 1986 animated Transformers movie. It's coming along pretty well, and is the most complex model I've made so far (using Shapr3D).

This is a little fly by I posted the other day:

I've modelled the cockpit as well, and will post a video of that in the near future.

Here are some more pictures: I’m happy enough with the modelling to start thinking of how I might break it up for printing.
IMG_0709.png

Attachments

• IMG_0710.png
    IMG_0710.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0711.png
    IMG_0711.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0712.png
    IMG_0712.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0716.png
    IMG_0716.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0715.png
    IMG_0715.png
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0714.png
    IMG_0714.png
    943.7 KB · Views: 49
That looks amazing! I was thinking of modeling this one day… I’ve been working on Unicron’s head off and on for a year and a half. It’s tough to model anything in that movie because proportions and details change from shot to shot or even frame to frame. I think you’ve nailed it!

That looks amazing! I was thinking of modeling this one day… I’ve been working on Unicron’s head off and on for a year and a half. It’s tough to model anything in that movie because proportions and details change from shot to shot or even frame to frame. I think you’ve nailed it!
Thanks! Yeah, my intent is to be as accurate to the movie as possible, but those inconsistencies make “accurate” impossible. Maddening! I’ve debated making two Versions of the cockpit, since the contents of it seem to rotate down for landing. I did a very accurate Matrix of Leadership earlier in the year, and even that differs pretty wildly in the movie.

I haven’t considered modelling Unicron’s head, but the Junkion ship is in the back of my head.

Thanks! Yeah, my intent is to be as accurate to the movie as possible, but those inconsistencies make “accurate” impossible. Maddening! I’ve debated making two Versions of the cockpit, since the contents of it seem to rotate down for landing. I did a very accurate Matrix of Leadership earlier in the year, and even that differs pretty wildly in the movie.

I haven’t considered modelling Unicron’s head, but the Junkion ship is in the back of my head.

The animation model sheets are available for reference. That would probably be the best way to go.

The animation model sheets are available for reference. That would probably be the best way to go.
Do you have a link? I don't think I've come across them.

But for all of those things, from frame-to-frame, what's on screen deviates wildly from whatever reference they used. :)

But for all of those things, from frame-to-frame, what's on screen deviates wildly from whatever reference they used. :)

There's a fabulous (and now rare) book called THE ARK, which includes the bulk of the model sheets for both the series and the movie. I'm not home at the moment, so I can't check to see if the Quintesson ship is in there.

Meanwhile, here's a great little project someone undertook to accurately color all of that art (as well as early and alternate models):

Last edited:

There's a fabulous (and now rare) book called THE ARK, which includes the bulk of the model sheets for both the series and the movie. I'm not home at the moment, so I can't check to see if the Quintesson ship is in there.

Meanwhile, here's a great little project someone undertook to accurately color all of that art (as well as early and alternate models):

I found the book online here; the one image I found is on page 158:

The entire book can is in 4 parts online and can be found here:

I found the book online here; the one image I found is on page 158:

The entire book can is in 4 parts online and can be found here:
Amazing reference, thanks!

A great repository

Hey all! I've not posted anything here in a long time, as I was using the Facebook Group, but it seems to be gone now? Anyway, I've been working on a model of the Quintesson Cruiser from the 1986 animated Transformers movie. It's coming along pretty well, and is the most complex model I've made so far (using Shapr3D).

This is a little fly by I posted the other day:

I've modelled the cockpit as well, and will post a video of that in the near future.
I was just wandering around the RPF this morning and remembered this thread! Any progress on this project?

I was just wandering around the RPF this morning and remembered this thread! Any progress on this project?
Not yet, no. I sidetracked myself with some elaborate Christmas presents that are taking up my time (printing and painting a 3D Catan board is … taking more time than I thought) I still have to figure out the scale I want to print this at, and to make the segments ready to print.

I also would like to finally add lighting to a project, and to add it to this ship. And to make the gray segments of the ship rotate like in the movie, so when I get back to it I’ll be figuring out some motor and lighting stuff, I think. :)

Not yet, no. I sidetracked myself with some elaborate Christmas presents that are taking up my time (printing and painting a 3D Catan board is … taking more time than I thought) I still have to figure out the scale I want to print this at, and to make the segments ready to print.

I also would like to finally add lighting to a project, and to add it to this ship. And to make the gray segments of the ship rotate like in the movie, so when I get back to it I’ll be figuring out some motor and lighting stuff, I think. :)
Sounds like a plan! As for the holidays: yeah, making gifts can get a bit involved (did that one year and promised myself never to do that again! :lol: ).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back