Quick Slave 1 snap-tite.

jake88

Sr Member
Hi all, thought Id post some pics of a quick revell snap-tite kit I put together and painted. It really doesn't compare to the current Slave builds going on here in this forum right now but Ive been wanting to get this one on the shelf for a while. Quick and splattered with space filth... Thanks for looking. Thanks All you Slave 1 builders for the inspiration!
s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpgs5.jpgs6.jpgs7.jpgs8.jpg

Further proof that the most important skill in modeling is being able to paint well. If you can paint then you can take a turd of a model and make it look passable... if you take q decent model it becomes fantastic! couple painting with even 1/2 way decent scratch-building and you're really ready to tackle just about anything.

Jedi Dade

Looks awesome!

Like Jedi Dale mentioned, the paint/weathering job is what makes or kills a model, the build can be immaculate but if the paintjob sucks your painted model will look like a cheap toy but vice versa you can get away with it a bit more, but usually if a guy knows how to paint they know how to build.

Gerardo

Paint can make or break a model build. I have seen so many models (especially X Wings) over done with weathering and dirt. Yours looks very good. A nice balance of dirt, wear and tear.

You've actually finished a model, painted it well and it's done......many never even finish the build.

Excellent paint job! It looks like you made a few improvements as well like the end caps on the wings

is this the same size as the old MPC kit? I do see many improvements over the old mpc kit
The Revell Slave-1 kit is a surprisingly nice kit. It is a little smaller than the Fine Molds 1/72 kit (which supposedly is oversized for 1/27 IIRC?). The pilot figure of Fett is very close to 1/72, maybe more in the 1/74 to 1/76 range? I don't have the AMT kit to compare it too, but I understand it is pretty close in size to the AMT kit.

I've got some photos documenting the size difference between it and the Fine Molds. http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1184

In most places detail is exactly the same except for difference like certain assemblies being molded in one piece and having "filler" to get rid of undercuts where the Fine Molds one would have separate pieces. Most of that is easily fixed as I have been doing.

Last edited:
Excellent paint job! It looks like you made a few improvements as well like the end caps on the wings

The Revell Slave-1 kit is a surprisingly nice kit. It is a little smaller than the Fine Molds 1/72 kit (which supposedly is oversized for 1/27 IIRC?). The pilot figure of Fett is very close to 1/72, maybe more in the 1/74 to 1/76 range? I don't have the AMT kit to compare it too, but I understand it is pretty close in size to the AMT kit.

I've got some photos documenting the size difference between it and the Fine Molds. http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1184

In most places detail is exactly the same except for difference like certain assemblies being molded in one piece and having "filler" to get rid of undercuts where the Fine Molds one would have separate pieces. Most of that is easily fixed as I have been doing.

Absolutely fantastic modifications to your Revell kit.

I'd be interested to find out what colors you used? I am in the info gathering stage for painting.

Also did you use maskol or some other chipping technique?

I'd be interested to find out what colors you used? I am in the info gathering stage for painting.

Also did you use maskol or some other chipping technique?

Hi there blakeh1. I used Craftsmart acrylic paint through an airbrush for all the painting. I basically used whatever they had at Michael's and mixed up my own custom colors using red, black, white, grey, mustard and olive drab. The chipping was mainly Vallejo masking fluid, but let the paint dry 24 hours before you pull the fluid off or the acrylic paint will come with it.
What i do is lay on a couple coats of a nice light grey primer. Then spray my colors on in thin coats and lay the piece under a tilted fan to speed drying. 3 or 4 light coats will produce a much better result than 1 or 2 caked on coats. Patients is key. I used Panpastels to weather the ship. They spread on so so smoothly and with a black and a brown it looks really grungy. The Slave 1 is the most challenging paint job I have ever done. I painted and stripped the skirt multiple times before I was satisfied. Im still wanting to fix some things on it but am holding back......

Completely missed out on your Slave thread Jake. Like your wheatering technique. Your panel lines pop out. Noticed that on your viper build too.
Finished off mine with satin varnish, but maybe a matte varnish is better when I look at yours.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back