3x Slave 1 Model Kit Builds with Archive-X

I cleaned up the back by getting rid of the washers and bolts and installed a single bolt with an aluminum tube in between the stand and the kit. I really struggled to come up with a display base for this one.

I looked at all the usual articulating camera mounts, I bought several different pieces of wood that I have used for other builds as bases, looked all over several local hardware stores, spent days looking around online and I could never really find anything I liked.

Then, while I was working on my display cabinets I had one of the clear Lexan shelves sitting unused that I use within the cases. I basically cut the side off, drilled a hole in it, and stuck a bolt through it :lol:

I am always torn between building fancier bases with plaques and other add ons, or just going simple so as to not distract too much from the build. In this case, I really liked the simplicity of it.

IMG_20220412_215517822.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if it would be possible to display such model using the trick that some builders did for an hovering training probe?:unsure:
I know that a ball is easier to balance (base + magnet) than the Slave...

Sometimes I wonder if it would be possible to display such model using the trick that some builders did for an hovering training probe?:unsure:
I know that a ball is easier to balance (base + magnet) than the Slave...

That would be pretty sweet! I have one of those training remote kits but I have not worked on it yet.

This is something I have been putting together while I work my way through these Slave 1 builds (it's not done but I am working on it). I think a Youtube video would be fun but I just can't imagine myself doing that as my skills there would leave much to be desired.

My goal is to put out a few 'how-to/step by step' paint guides like this. I will likely update this as the final guide will have my Fine Molds but having this helps me document and repeat the process. If anyone wishes to add anything, especially reference material or links that you really find valuable, reach out.

I just finished my snow speeder and I am working on an MPC Vader TIE, as soon as those are done I will re-visit this thread with my MPC and then finally the Fine Molds.

Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to document your paint. I am looking for a paint guide for the Slave 1 as well as the best reference book or source. Can you tell me what is the best reference book for the Slave 1? Is it Sculpting the Galaxy?

Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to document your paint. I am looking for a paint guide for the Slave 1 as well as the best reference book or source. Can you tell me what is the best reference book for the Slave 1? Is it Sculpting the Galaxy?

Thanks. I have the Sculpting book and it is a good reference for getting a general feel for the weathering overall, but it does not show all the sides of the kit. I know there are a few excellent Japanese books but they are hard to get and expensive. The Star Wars Chronicles book is supposed to be pretty good but I have never looked through it.

Thanks. I have the Sculpting book and it is a good reference for getting a general feel for the weathering overall, but it does not show all the sides of the kit. I know there are a few excellent Japanese books but they are hard to get and expensive. The Star Wars Chronicles book is supposed to be pretty good but I have never looked through it.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Which Star Wars Chronicles book are you referring to? There appear to be several different issues. I am not very confident in my paint color choices and would really benefit from a good reference source or paint guide.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Which Star Wars Chronicles book are you referring to? There appear to be several different issues. I am not very confident in my paint color choices and would really benefit from a good reference source or paint guide.

Well, the books don't tell you which colors to use. For me anyway, looking at the actual colors only helps a bit as for this kit, some of the paint is two or three layers deep to get the right color, and the final color depends on the layers that come before.

The best I have found for actually telling what colors 'might' have been used are the two videos I have linked in that document. Run through both of them as there are some really good tips in there as to which colors to use and how to apply them (including in which order..).

I think this is the book I have seen several modelers reference > "Star Wars Chronicles Hardcover Guide Book Illustration 1996 Japanese"

Here we go again!

This time around I am going to adjust a few colors and some of the chipping. I also now have the "Light Green" which I was missing last time so I hope to get the main body color a bit closer to what I imagined it 'should' look like. I will also update my written guide with changes as I chronicle this build here.

IMG_20220430_195608144.jpg

Nothing beats the studio models, but for other reference, the 1/72 FIne Molds kit had a great painting guide and might be a good place to start

You can use this as a guide and sub in Archive-X stuff for their colors (or whatever paint brands you prefer)

I know for example the wing color is FS16440 aka Light Gull Gray. Although I had thought they were whiter than that

Of course, the color charts I think are Mr Hobby paints?

The 3rd column seems to be Tamiya colors?

d7yOSo9.jpg

M3jNekp.jpg

7cbkkt1.jpg

l9yJyLD.jpg

k0csWjB.jpg

VNVuZVa.jpg

Sm4xgeG.jpg

j9svEWX.jpg

6DWnTd4.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go again!

This time around I am going to adjust a few colors and some of the chipping. I also now have the "Light Green" which I was missing last time so I hope to get the main body color a bit closer to what I imagined it 'should' look like. I will also update my written guide with changes as I chronicle this build here.

View attachment 1570778

Looking forward to it

Nothing beats the studio models, but for other reference, the 1/72 FIne Molds kit had a great painting guide and might be a good place to start

You can use this as a guide and sub in Archive-X stuff for their colors (or whatever paint brands you prefer)

I know for example the wing color is FS16440 aka Light Gull Gray. Although I had thought they were whiter than that

Of course, the color charts I think are Mr Hobby paints?

The 3rd column seems to be Tamiya colors?

Thanks, this will help for sure!

It's the "Grey/Green" primary hull color that I am struggling with the most. In some pictures, it looks greyer, in others greener. I think for this one I will mix the Light Reefer Grey I have with just a touch of the Light Green and see where that get's me.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the color guide as well as Skahtul's tutorials and expertise. I typically prefer Valejo paints but shouldn't have too much trouble matching up the correct colors etc. Thanks again. By the way, I am finishing up a 3D printed Slave 1 that is about three feet tall and while probably not as detailed or accurate as it should be, is an impressive ship nonetheless. I will be starting a thread on this forum soon. I am in the process of laying out the LED lighting and my paint strategy of course. Wish me luck.

This kit is just about ready to paint. It actually turned out to be an okay kit. Not as detailed or as well-engineered overall as the Revell, but not bad. If you wanted to do some kind of diorama this would be the kit to get as it has Han in carbonite and a removable panel on top which could be pretty cool.

One thing I did like about this kit is that it's 'broken' up in a pretty logical way which should make painting a bit easier.

Also, I tried something for the mount on this kit which felt very "ILM" like :)

IMG_20220430_225947874.jpg

IMG_20220430_230721302.jpg

Mount is "hidden' inside one of the engines. Also, even though I am terrible at painting up cockpits, I am going to give this one a try.

IMG_20220501_132520438.jpg

Also, you may have mentioned this before, but what mounts do you use?

I kind of eluded to what it was but didn't call them out. But they are basically acrylic shelves that I had been using for a long time in my display cabinets. They are cheap (can get a pack of 6, different sizes, on Amazon for $20), you can easily drill them, score and snap them and heat them up to bend them a bit into a new shape.

I am going to try the 'heat and bending' method on my TIE Advanced.

IMG_20220502_214454357.jpg

On the model side, I have settled on these for the inserts pictured below. I find a bit of epoxy and sometimes stir sticks (for re-enforcement) is more than enough to hold the model up.

I use the brass one on the left for the actual model and the one on the right if I am installing it into a wooden base. I like this size as I can get either the metal rod pictured below or the different-sized bolts pictured and it all comes from my local hardware store which is nice in a pinch. This is also the same size thread pattern as the "camera" mounts I see a lot of people use. I think the size is "1/4-20".

IMG_20220502_214739975.jpg

Then I just epoxy the insert into the kit:

IMG_20220502_222221094.jpg

I have moved away from complicated/fancy bases to something that I feel is pretty minimalistic and does not detract too much from the build. I also bought a pack of neodymium magnets that I want to experiment with for some different mounting options.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back