Quasimodo Darth Vader helmet - Version II

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Good Goodness that is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not planning on altering the finish to the faceplate really. Because so much depends on lighting, it's difficult to judge just how glossy and wet looking the original was. There's also the consideration of how much had the original been handled? Grease and oil from skin can dull a finish, and wiping it down with a cloth can simply smear it around more evenly.

However in terms of amount of clear used on Quasi, I may back the layers down to 2, to retain the sharpness in the cast.

It definitely looks like Vader used a shine-o-ball-o on his helmet in ESB so no qualms there, just want to retain the sculpt sharpness too so yeah 2 layers of clear would be preffered.

I think, that by far, this is the most beautiful Vader helmet I have seen. & that side-by-side comparison shot of your helmet & shoulders with the actual screen shot, is just amazing. I'm saving as fast as I can, in the hopes that I can support the work that you do, & the wonderful cause that you support. :thumbsup. :cheers

Another tease.

denim-background-quasimodo-v2-esb_zpseszxjijq.jpg

Just to reflect on my past work on this, there was never a V1 ESB. I gave a V1 ANH dome casting a full working to create the ESB you see here and made it part of the V2 family of domes. I felt that there are people who are passionate about ESB that they study the small intricacies of subtle shape differences that make the ESB its own animal - things that set it apart from ANH. From an artistic standpoint, I wanted to honor that passion. Many have the misconception that you can simply take an ANH, cut off the widow's peak, sand here and there and call it ESB. Some vendors have recast the eFX and did exactly that surgery, and their ESB domes do not look right. They may be generically ESB but still fall short of the on-screen look.

In sculpting my ESB dome, I had to break away from my regular ANH studies and immerse myself in ESB, watching and appreciating the movie all over again, getting reacquainted with the emotion of the character, and trying to sculpt from the heart while capturing as many of the tiny aspects that gave the original ESB dome its own personality. See the differences:

Quasimodo-V2-ANH-and-ESB-Brothers_zpsxp5bwonp.jpg

These are two different dome sculpts and yet are quite related. I'm very glad I made this call to take an approach that required a great deal more sculpting. All this instead of simply convert the V2 ANH dome to ESB! But I think you'll like the results. And a bit shout-out to Bookface who expertly assembled and painted each of these, enduring hours upon hours of long distance phone calls with me and going over screen shots. They look so much better than when the helmet masters were in their rough states on my ol' kitchen stove!

Mac, your work never ceases to amaze me. Bravo.

I'd love to see you take a crack at doing a Vader facemask that was meant to be the bade for a ROTJ reveal. That would be a huge benefit to anyone wanting to tackle one of those guys.

-best
Dan

Amazing, these are really work of art...as I also said in the past...the road to Vader helmet is the road to Mac and bookface!

I've read this thread front to back, & then back to front :). The work that you guys have done is fantastic! & the works of art that has been created is mind blowing! I've learned so much, thank you... everyone. I love all the comparison photos as well. & after seeing all the photos, the only thing that can be said is... there is NO comparison! From the magnificent sculpt work, to the brilliance of the paint work, no one else even comes close.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back