Quasimodo Darth Vader helmet - Version II

Dammit....been trying to talk myself out of getting one of these and then you go and put more beautiful pictures up!

Stunning......

New member here, I'd like to start working on assembling a full Darth Vader costume and I figured I might as well start with the helmet. I just found these forums and this thread today, I'm sure I have a lot of reading ahead of me. A friend of mine crafted his own Vader costume and also machined an entire R2 unit out of aluminum several years ago but unfortunately he got a different job and moved south. I did speak to him yesterday and his basic advice was "avoid anything that says Ultimate in the name and anything that says Rubies."

These helmets and armor look great, are they sculptures to sit on the stands or are they fully wearable? If they were fully wearable I'd think someone would have posted a photo of themselves wearing them, I know I would have!

This costume is going to be a long term project for me, my son is 3 so I have a few years till he gets into this kind of thing.

New member here, I'd like to start working on assembling a full Darth Vader costume and I figured I might as well start with the helmet. I just found these forums and this thread today, I'm sure I have a lot of reading ahead of me. A friend of mine crafted his own Vader costume and also machined an entire R2 unit out of aluminum several years ago but unfortunately he got a different job and moved south. I did speak to him yesterday and his basic advice was "avoid anything that says Ultimate in the name and anything that says Rubies."

These helmets and armor look great, are they sculptures to sit on the stands or are they fully wearable? If they were fully wearable I'd think someone would have posted a photo of themselves wearing them, I know I would have!

This costume is going to be a long term project for me, my son is 3 so I have a few years till he gets into this kind of thing.

Not to sidetrack too much, this is Darth Ugly ROTJ the slightly more affordable little brother to Quasimodo.

wMwsNnGODFTQp-JSmjk7G4OCvPLiddbF07I3-NMiixY=w328-h596-no

Let me save you some time.

These two Vaders are the best ever made, no contest, end of story. Their upcoming ROTJ I'm sure will be as well. Look at all the pics you want these are the best, don't bother with anything else. IMO of course.

These two guys also makes the best armor ever made. Each version, the correct look, size and the shoulder bells actually match the armor.

So check that off your list:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=227608

Cod Piece. Artisan props. He is a member here. Again best IMO

Okay that will get you started.

I had a full belt and chest box set from Korbanth that I also think was among the best. I was very happy with it.

You can see the Korbanth chest box/belt set and Artisan's Props Cod piece on my old Vader in my old collection thread in my signature.

Not sure on the rest but the helmets, armor, and codpiece I mentioned really can't be beat.

Tom

Thanks guys, great feedback here. I did quite a bit of reading yesterday and it sounds like the Artisan props codpiece man has been MIA and nobody has heard from him in months. I see that fenixprops sells a complete set of cape/leather outfit/codpiece for $750, and I also found a tutorial on how to make my own codpiece. I'll definitely buy the Artisan one if the guy is still around though.

I'll try to track down Korbanth and see if he has any more available.

I cannot get the sithlords forum to come up at all for me, just times out every time with an error page. Maybe I'm going to the wrong URL. I did see there is a central 501st legion that covers Omaha, and I registered there, but I can't see any content, I think it may be for full members only.

Edit - Tom, thanks for pointing me out your link, what a fantastic collection you have got! I hope stuff has turned around for you since 2012 and everything is well.

Last edited:
Ap comment is inaccurate, the wait time is long and responses are slow but it's because the whole vader community funnels through him. Be prepared to wait 2-6 months for all parts, maybe even longer.

Sld has been up and down due to a server move, up now.

I have the honor of being the currently tallest approved vader in 501st at 6'9" barefoot. :) the guy whose Instagram I snagged this pic from was prob 5'8" and his comment on IG was "That foo must've been like 7ft!!"

@nebrunner
501stsithlords.com is currently down . Check for news and status on their Twitter channel: https://twitter.com/501stsithlords.
I have a fenixprops leathersuit, cape and robe (wool) and gloves: really awesome. But I did not take the codpiece: it looks to me like a chesterfield sofa.
Just received today the artisan Props Codpiece: awesome as awesome can be. The belt too.

Looking full of expectation everyday for the mail and waiting yearningly for my ANH and ESB-Quasimodo sets... the anticipation is great.

Last edited:
I've been following your work since many months and I'd like to tell you this is awesome ! Congratulation this is amazing ! Your helmets are so PERFECT. Well done guys !

Thanks again guys. Here are some fun pics of something that I've actually had for a while, I made it and then got super busy; so I put it away in storage until a couple of weeks ago. I've been working on it in my spare time (because when they need to relax, prop makers, uh, make props...). The face is cast in cold cast aluminium which I polished up and then weathered back down with some coloured waxes. In between those stages I went over it with a low grit sandpaper to give it a similar 'brushed' look that a regular painted helmet has, which also gave the waxes something to adhere to and fill in, creating a weathered look. The dome is just a regular casting, but since this is a V1 casting, it has the really sharp features to the Y crease and widows peak. I actually like this, I kept a V1 for myself at home and I still haven't bothered to upgrade to a V2 for myself.

Without further ado...pics

CCvader1_zpswcuq9oq1.jpg

CCvader2_zpsar3bkjaf.jpg

CCvader3_zpskhy5iwyf.jpg

CCvader4_zps1ptb7r1h.jpg

CCvader5_zpsuhngcden.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back