ProfCoppersmith

Hello all!

I have been working on a Firestar 10-K blaster rifle for a custom Mando armor kit I'm making. My plan to this point has been working with an adult sized Red Rider BB gun (disabled) as the base for it, welding metal parts to make it into the blaster in question. I'm well into this process as well.
It recently occurred to me that this may not be acceptable at conventions, I think? I know metal sword/axe/etc. props are often not allowed at most cons these days. What about metal non-functioning (beyond a moving trigger?) blaster rifle? Or "Gun-like-object"?
Should I switch gears and make the rest out of PVC and Styrene?

Thanks for any advices here.

I would say that the Cons are up front about their policy before hand... because if they dont want weapons and they get flooded, they dont want to tell a thousand people they cant bring those items in and turn them around and have to deal with all that at the doors.

The policy depends on the Con.. each one has a little different allowances.. recently the trend has been to allow less and less weapons or weapon-looking items into cons. Cons are more and more restricted by the specific city ordinances now too.
Some allow the foam and plastic, others do not allow any un-holstered and un-tagged weapons, and others do not allow anything that can or did fire a projectile of any kind into the building. I have heard of some this year who are just saying you can have an inert weapon with an orange plug as long as its tagged and the trigger is immobile.. so this whole thing of what is acceptable is all over the place.

Most of the costumers are good with it, most of the dealers are good with it, its the con staff and operators you have to query. Check the website beforehand, its going to be listed.

Most cons that I’ve attended do not permit anything that can shoot projectiles. This includes BB, airsoft, etc. even if they‘re deactivated.

So if you’re looking to make a con-friendly prop, I’d suggest going with PVC.

Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back